Project Ireland 2040

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Gary Small
Expatriate

Re: Project Ireland 2040

Post by Gary Small »

Kenr wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:21 am
Gary Small wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:41 am
John Bingham wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:19 am Alex Jones must really appreciate his Cambodian support base. He doesn't know the first thing about Ireland though and nothing in the government projections supports his allegations. Some people just like to stir up shit, and he's been proven in court to have lied consistently. He should f#ck right off with his unsubstantiated garbage. It's kind of sad that people read these headlines, are given the source and yet can't figure out that the two have no connection. There are of course points that could be discussed about migration to Ireland with its very large housing shortage, but I think that's for another thread, one that started on this BS premise is not worth wasting time on.
Well said. It's much better to get angry and point out spelling and grammar mistakes than discuss the topic. Look at Lodon , that's gonna be the future Cork or Wexford.
It's a real shame that people have such negative associations with the the word non- white they assume it's a negative thing. I think it's fantastic that Ireland will be more diverse and therefore stronger. Sorry you all took it the wrong way. Maybe that says something about you not me?
The Celtic Tiger will be alive again.
LOL. Who is assuming the word non-white is a negative thing? Given that you never used the word non-white, but the words minority white, it’s safe to assume that nobody took what you were initially trying to say the wrong way.

And given your past comment about immigrants allegedly abusing the hospitality of European nations, specifically Ireland, it’s safe to assume your true position.
That's a fair cop,I'll come quietly. :hattip:
I meant minority white.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Gary Small wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:56 pm
That's a fair cop,I'll come quietly. :hattip:
I meant minority white.
Thanks for clearing that up so we know what you meant. Now, would you mind explaining how you came to that conclusion? As has been pointed out there is nothing in the government projection that supports your original contention. Please try and back up what you said, it's disingenuous to squirm out with excuses. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:08 pm
John Bingham wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:13 pm What is "Patty" other than a piece of hamburger meat?
Maybe Dubliners never heard of St Patrick, ( y'all are more British than Irish aren't ya?) .... And by extension the global tradition of partying hard each year on March 17th, the day he died if I'm not mistaken, aptly named St Patty's Day.

Patty is what we often nicknamed anyone we knew of Irish heritage in my circles in Canada.

Sorry if I've said something outside of your personal knowledge JB but fear not, super flyer will surely come along to defend your honour, reminding all and sundry what a great Irishman you are. :good:
The only thing I have got from this thread is the hilarious revelation that CC has spent his entire life in the belief the Irish were called "Patty" and that March 17th was "St. Patty's Day". Apparently, this is a common belief in his "circles" (which might explain a lot).

Furthermore, this jaw-dropping ignorance was exposed as he tried to mock JB et al for being 'plastic' Paddies.

JB's enlightenment remains unanswered. Come on 'Patty', what have you got to say for yourself? A little contrition goes a long way.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:50 am
John Bingham wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:13 pm What is "Patty" other than a piece of hamburger meat?
Maybe Dubliners never heard of St Patrick, ( y'all are more British than Irish aren't ya?) .... And by extension the global tradition of partying hard each year on March 17th, the day he died if I'm not mistaken, aptly named St Patty's Day.

Patty is what we often nicknamed anyone we knew of Irish heritage in my circles in Canada.

Sorry if I've said something outside of your personal knowledge JB but fear not, super flyer will surely come along to defend your honour, reminding all and sundry what a great Irishman you are. :good:
The only thing I have got from this thread is the hilarious revelation that CC has spent his entire life in the belief the Irish were called "Patty" and that March 17th was "St. Patty's Day". Apparently, this is a common belief in his "circles" (which might explain a lot).

Furthermore, this jaw-dropping ignorance was exposed as he tried to mock JB et al for being 'plastic' Paddies.

JB's enlightenment remains unanswered. Come on 'Patty', what have you got to say for yourself? A little contrition goes a long way.
Doc, are you off your meds again old timer ? Please, show me where this 'plastic' Paddies quote of mine is ... My eyes must be deceiving me .... And yes btw, growing up in Montreal, (a diverse city before diversity was a governmental agenda) St Patrick's Day was most often simply called St Patty's Day .... As a Canadian soldier one was hardly ever addressed by their given name, more often by some nick name according to how cordial your relationship ... Irish who you liked were either Patty or Mick .... I apologize for bringing my Canadian upbringing into my conversational language here .... I'll be more cognizant to use proper Kings English like you and your Irish buddy. :bow:
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:31 am

Doc, are you off your meds again old timer ? Please, show me where this 'plastic' Paddies quote of mine is ... My eyes must be deceiving me .... And yes btw, growing up in Montreal, (a diverse city before diversity was a governmental agenda) St Patrick's Day was most often simply called St Patty's Day .... As a Canadian soldier one was hardly ever addressed by their given name, more often by some nick name according to how cordial your relationship ... Irish who you liked were either Patty or Mick .... I apologize for bringing my Canadian upbringing into my conversational language here .... I'll be more cognizant to use proper Kings English like you and your Irish buddy. :bow:
Please, show me where this 'plastic' Paddies quote of mine is ... My eyes must be deceiving me ....

It wasn't a quote of yours, the usage of the moniker was mine. That's why it was in single quotation marks to denote a phrase, not a double quotation mark to denote a direct quotation of you. It's not your eyes that are malfunctioning.

As for your claim of calling every Irishman you meet either Patty or Mick, please go to Dublin, make a video blog and go around the bars calling everyone "Patty" or "Mick". It will go viral very quickly.

Call it, Patty got to a Dublin A&E.

p.s. As for my meds, yes, I am currently off them. It is only 11:22 am, so I have to wait for a few more hours before my first dose. Thanks for your concern Patty :D
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:25 am

Please, show me where this 'plastic' Paddies quote of mine is ... My eyes must be deceiving me ....

It wasn't a quote of yours, the usage of the moniker was mine. That's why it was in single quotation marks to denote a phrase, not a double quotation mark to denote a direct quotation of you. It's not your eyes that are malfunctioning.

As for your claim of calling every Irishman you meet either Patty or Mick, please go to Dublin, make a video blog and go around the bars calling everyone "Patty" or "Mick". It will go viral very quickly.

p.s. As for my meds, yes, I am currently off them. It is only 11:22 am, so I have to wait for a few more hours before my first dose. Thanks for your concern Patty :D
Am I too assume Dubliners wouldn’t appreciate being reminded of their Irish heritage and that they aren’t actually British or have I got this wrong, all the Irish I’ve met have been light hearted and love taking the mick (oopsie) .... I don’t understand why they’d take offense ..... no more so than as a Canadian be called a Canuck or the endless jokes about living in igloos, fighting polar bears and how we’re supposedly always saying sorry ..... sorry for being long winded.

Anyways, its a moot point about what would happen in Dublin .... I was speaking of life in Montreal but I know how much difficulty you have staying on point so you automatically get a pass from me .... Canadians are generous that way.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:57 am

Am I too assume Dubliners wouldn’t appreciate being reminded of their Irish heritage and that they aren’t actually British or have I got this wrong, all the Irish I’ve met have been light hearted and love taking the mick (oopsie) .... I don’t understand why they’d take offense ..... no more so than as a Canadian be called a Canuck or the endless jokes about living in igloos, fighting polar bears and how we’re supposedly always saying sorry ..... sorry for being long winded.

Anyways, its a moot point about what would happen in Dublin .... I was speaking of life in Montreal but I know how much difficulty you have staying on point so you automatically get a pass from me .... Canadians are generous that way.
Indeed they are. Having been there more times than I can remember, I found Canadians one of the nicest nationalities I have met.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:09 pm
CaptainCanuck wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:57 am

Indeed they are. Having been there more times than I can remember, I found Canadians one of the nicest nationalities I have met.
Hahahahaha .... yep, that stereotype is mostly true .... it’s why I left, I didn’t fit in :roll:
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

CaptainCanuck wrote: all the Irish I’ve met have been light hearted
You clearly didn’t meet people like my uncle. He resented being called Mick, ‘a mick’ or similar. His name was Michael. Mike, only for short.

The youngest uncle was called Paddy. Patrick officially. As laid back as you get. However, if you called him Patty, which is a girls name, Patricia, he’d likely have re-educated you. The eldest uncle was called Sean. It’s the correct spelling if accents aren’t to be written. All other varieties of the spelling are just a travesty, and shall not be discussed further.

CaptainCanuck- I’m guessing that your frame of reference is quite limited, possibly further limited by language barriers. Probably to those who Irishness is purely by lineage rather than experience. There’re are plenty like that in Boston and New York, Chicago. Most are just normal folk, but there’s a vocal few who feel they need to let you know just how Irish they are, after several generations. Rather like the French in Quebec who want French visitors to know just how really French they really are.

I was based in Quebec for a while. It’s odd how Montrealers are. Not English. Not French. I wonder if this diversity lends itself to some feeling of belonging nowhere. Most in Quebec were absolutely fine, but some montrealers did somehow manage to get up peoples noses.

For what it’s worth, one of the best St Paddy’s day (note the spelling) events that I ever experienced was in Quebec itself. Boston and New York fire department pipe bands were there, too, in the parade in addition to all the local contributions. There’s quite a long historical connection with St Patrick’s day, which makes it even more curious that you can have harboured such a misunderstanding for so long. Maybe a result of the frenglish accent that some montrealers have?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic