to Vape or not to? That is the question

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

to Vape or not to? That is the question

Post by phuketrichard »

Another Bangkok post which can not be copied an pasted.
BUT it is Illegal and yes it can be brought in Thailand
BANGKOK POST: The laws regulating e-cigarettes have sparked controversy, prompting a cabinet minister to propose vaping be legalised while police have launched operations to crack down on the sale of the devices

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... akes-waves
So, is Vaping legal in Thailand? No. Since 2014 vaping in Thailand is illegal. Getting caught with a vape in Thailand can result in a fine of up to 30 000 Baht that is 945 USD or even a jail sentence of up to 10 years. Thailand vaping ban applies to both vaping and e-cigarettes as well.

There are so many stories and different experiences regarding vaping in Thailand and as it appears there are two truths out there. I know that I just wrote that vaping in Thailand is illegal, but technically there is no law in Thailand that would forbid it.

It is complicated and confusing.
https://thailandtravelessentials.com/va ... -thailand/

BUT why vape when you can legally buy and smoke pot?? :beer3:

was just in my local Big C and they now have a counter selling weed with 15 different strains available
never thought that would happen here
Truly, Amazing Thailand
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Re: to Vape or not to? That is the question

Post by Darkcel »

Sort of fucked that anyone can fly there and huff on a vape when a regular Thai can't purchase one legally
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Darkcel wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:11 am Sort of fucked that anyone can fly there and huff on a vape when a regular Thai can't purchase one legally
HUH??
Since 2014 vaping in Thailand is illegal. Getting caught with a vape in Thailand can result in a fine of up to 30 000 Baht that is 945 USD or even a jail sentence of up to 10 years. Thailand vaping ban applies to both vaping and e-cigarettes as well.
Office of the Consumer Protection Board warns Thurs mere possession of e-cigarettes without smoking could lead to a fine of 4 times the value of the item & an imprisonment term of up to 5 yrs. Owner will be regarded as assisting the sale of e-cigarette which is illegal. #Thailand
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Darkcel wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:11 am Sort of fucked that anyone can fly there and huff on a vape when a regular Thai can't purchase one legally
BUT it is Illegal and yes it can be brought in Thailand
I'm not sure what this means? It can be brought into Thailand? It can be bought in Thailand?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

BUT why vape when you can legally buy and smoke pot??

Maybe because people want a nicotine hit, not a THC hit.

Not everyone wants to be stoned.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

I was WhatsApping with a friend in Pattaya on this matter, this was a small part of the conversation I thought it was funny but true.

ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I am aware of a bar on Walking Street, Pattaya, where it's "legal" to smoke shisha because the cops say so. LOL

A cop in plain clothes sits there all night counting the shishas used. They're under a 1000 baht for the customer and the cops get about a third of that cost out of every order.

I imagine it works the same way for every "approved" shisha bar << hundreds? thousands?. I've seen shisha bowls right out in the open on LK Metro.

What a bent country!
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Leaving aside that it's plain dumb to make vaping illegal while smoking traditional cigarettes remains legal, what is very confusing to tourists is the fact that vaping equipment is openly sold in many places. It also doesn't help that you see Thais vaping openly pretty much anywhere and everywhere, usually with impunity.

So when the useless police farce shows up and makes a big deal of a foreigner daring to have an e-cigarette in his possession and asking for ridiculous fines or bribes, that's just a shameless money grab without any public health benefit.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

go figure:

I've never tried it so cant comment but is it a big diference than smoking cigs? beside the fact that vaping companies add in all these flavors to get kids to vape, ( which by the way are federally banned in the states since feb 2020)

in the last few days:
A traffic officer in Pattaya was swiftly moved to an inactive post following a preliminary investigation into an allegation that he forced a group of Chinese tourists to pay a 30,000 baht (RM3,900) bribe to avoid being charged with possession of vaping devices.

The group of tourists managed to haggle the officer down from his original demand of 60,000 baht (RM7,770), it was alleged.
The incident allegedly began after the traffic officer spotted Chinese tourists strolling through Pattaya with vaping devices on Saturday night and ended in the early hours of Sunday. Vaping devices are illegal in Thailand. So is extortion.The public relations unit of Chonburi police said on Wednesday that a preliminary probe by Pattaya police found there were sufficient grounds for a full investigation.
https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/as ... g-tourists
BANGKOK - A Singaporean who was with a Taiwanese actress who claimed Thai police extorted money from them said officers told him to pay up or risk spending two days in jail for his vaping devices.

Those caught with such devices in Thailand face up to five years in prison and a hefty fine, according to Thai English-language daily The Nation, citing a lawyer.

The 29-year-old man, who identified himself as Sky, spoke to the media about the incident on Wednesday at the Davis Bangkok Hotel that is owned by whistle-blowing former politician and massage parlour owner Chuwit Kamolvisit, The Bangkok Post reported on the same day.

His appearance came a day after Thai police said they would travel to Singapore and Taiwan to interview witnesses in the case and would not charge the tourists with paying bribes.

The case was surfaced on social media by actress Charlene An, who said she had been threatened by Thai police with a criminal charge for having a vaping device or e-cigarette. She said she paid 27,000 baht (S$1,080) before she and her friends could leave.
https://prod-a1.asiaone.com/singapore/i ... e-thailand

and a Bangkok post article where 6 cops where charged with extortion yesterday
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ion-police

I'll stick with smoking ganga :beer3:
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:54 pm go figure:

I've never tried it so cant comment but is it a big diference than smoking cigs? beside the fact that vaping companies add in all these flavors to get kids to vape, ( which by the way are federally banned in the states since feb 2020)

in the last few days:
A traffic officer in Pattaya was swiftly moved to an inactive post following a preliminary investigation into an allegation that he forced a group of Chinese tourists to pay a 30,000 baht (RM3,900) bribe to avoid being charged with possession of vaping devices.

The group of tourists managed to haggle the officer down from his original demand of 60,000 baht (RM7,770), it was alleged.
The incident allegedly began after the traffic officer spotted Chinese tourists strolling through Pattaya with vaping devices on Saturday night and ended in the early hours of Sunday. Vaping devices are illegal in Thailand. So is extortion.The public relations unit of Chonburi police said on Wednesday that a preliminary probe by Pattaya police found there were sufficient grounds for a full investigation.
https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/as ... g-tourists
BANGKOK - A Singaporean who was with a Taiwanese actress who claimed Thai police extorted money from them said officers told him to pay up or risk spending two days in jail for his vaping devices.

Those caught with such devices in Thailand face up to five years in prison and a hefty fine, according to Thai English-language daily The Nation, citing a lawyer.

The 29-year-old man, who identified himself as Sky, spoke to the media about the incident on Wednesday at the Davis Bangkok Hotel that is owned by whistle-blowing former politician and massage parlour owner Chuwit Kamolvisit, The Bangkok Post reported on the same day.

His appearance came a day after Thai police said they would travel to Singapore and Taiwan to interview witnesses in the case and would not charge the tourists with paying bribes.

The case was surfaced on social media by actress Charlene An, who said she had been threatened by Thai police with a criminal charge for having a vaping device or e-cigarette. She said she paid 27,000 baht (S$1,080) before she and her friends could leave.
https://prod-a1.asiaone.com/singapore/i ... e-thailand

and a Bangkok post article where 6 cops where charged with extortion yesterday
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ion-police

I'll stick with smoking ganga :beer3:
Those disposable ones in the pic have not been banned in the US at all. Bought some in Honolulu 2 weeks ago in a ABC (like a 711) whilst there on hols.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic