Project Ireland 2040

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Project Ireland 2040

Post by Kammekor »

Big Daikon wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:28 am
Kammekor wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:27 am
Big Daikon wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:11 am
violet wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:42 am The complete irony of a white guy , possibly living in an Asian country, being hot under the collar because a country such as Ireland may be letting some brown folk in (maybe Polish,English, or other - but possibly some undefined brown).
I don't see the irony or hypocrisy. These two scenarios are quite different in numbers and nature. How many westerners are living in Cambodia and what % of the population do they represent?
Maybe have that discussion with the Cambodians in Sihanoukville?
About westerners or the Chinese? Both would be interesting surveys.
Westerners have been forgotten I think, but does it really matter? The point / annoyance is foreigners not really participating in the local society, IMHO
2sevensclash
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by 2sevensclash »

"Ireland has always had immigrant populations"

Do you have any evidence for this ? Ask anybody who went to school in Ireland during the 50s 60s and 70s how many of their classmates were from another country. I have a few Irish mates and the answer is hardly any and in most cases none.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I had classmates from the UK, China and Ethiopia in Ireland in the 70s. Two of my best friends in Ireland were born in the late 60s and are half Nigerian. Of course there are people from other countries on here who have likely never spent a minute in Ireland who think they know better.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
2sevensclash
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by 2sevensclash »

violet wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:35 am
2sevensclash wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:25 am Obviously Ireland don't have enough pretty women, I suspect a trans/non binary/queer person will be the next winner

Thanks for defining Racism and Bigotry

Ha ha racism and bigotry, you forgot to mention Islamaphobia :please:
2sevensclash
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by 2sevensclash »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:04 pm I had classmates from the UK, China and Ethiopia in Ireland in the 70s. Two of my best friends in Ireland were born in the late 60s and are half Nigerian. Of course there are people from other countries on here who have likely never spent a minute in Ireland who think they know better.

What was the name of the school and where in Ireland was it ?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It was in Dublin.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

2sevensclash wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:53 pm "Ireland has always had immigrant populations"

Do you have any evidence for this ? Ask anybody who went to school in Ireland during the 50s 60s and 70s how many of their classmates were from another country. I have a few Irish mates and the answer is hardly any and in most cases none.
Well I can ask my parents who went to school in the 40's and 50's

I know we have had a jewish population since the 1800's at least

Many Chinese families arrived in the 1950's and their great grandchildren speak with thick Irish accents

For obvious reasons there's always been English, Scottish and Welsh people in Ireland

The Celts only came around 300BC

Quite a number of Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi families moved there in the early half of the last century. Some telltale signs of this would be the current Irish Premier who is Indian-Irish, various MP's as far back as the 1980's were from the Indian subcontinent

Absolute shedloads of dirty hippies and new age travelers from, quite literally, all over the world have been settled there for 30 to sixty years at this stage

There's a half century of Brazilian immigration to a town I know.

And those are just off the top of my head mate.

Not to mention the fact that the vast majority of the 1M new Irish passports issued in 2022 were to UK citizens and residents

Immigration isn't new, and it is needed despite what some bogman fuckhead might tell you down the pub. Now, that said, immigration does not mean illegal immigration. I don't support that, but if you tick all the boxes and deepen the gene pool; cead mile failte fucker
Last edited by Jerry Atrick on Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:50 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:28 am
Kammekor wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:27 am
Big Daikon wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:11 am
violet wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:42 am The complete irony of a white guy , possibly living in an Asian country, being hot under the collar because a country such as Ireland may be letting some brown folk in (maybe Polish,English, or other - but possibly some undefined brown).
I don't see the irony or hypocrisy. These two scenarios are quite different in numbers and nature. How many westerners are living in Cambodia and what % of the population do they represent?
Maybe have that discussion with the Cambodians in Sihanoukville?
About westerners or the Chinese? Both would be interesting surveys.
Westerners have been forgotten I think, but does it really matter? The point / annoyance is foreigners not really participating in the local society, IMHO
I thought the issue with the Chinese in Cambodia is them having disproportionate power in society, not a question of participation.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The Chinese have been present in Cambodia for at least a thousand years, and have dominated commerce here for centuries, as they have in most countries in the region.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

He really deepened the gene pool.
https://www.irishcentral.com/news/georg ... dublin.amp
George Nkencho, 27, died on December 30 after being shot by gardai during an incident in Clonee near the Meath - Dublin border.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic