Time for the money thing again? How much are you spending these days?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

How much money a month does it cost you to live?

$0-$500
8%
$500-$750
8%
$750-$1000
12%
$1000-$1500
32%
$1500-$2000
17%
$2000-$3000
8%
$3000-$5000
8%
$5000-$7500
2%
$7500-$10,000
2%
More than $10,000
2%

Total votes: 59
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Time for the money thing again? How much are you spending these days?

Post by Newinkow »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:08 pm
cautious colin wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:35 am
ressl wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:31 pm it gets challenging to have a total bill of more than $4 per person. My room costs me $50 per month. True, no pool, no gym; 1st floor (GF costs $65, but has this classic Khmer, semi upper floor included). Electricity bill rarely more than $4 per month. Water the same.
Where do you live?

Electric of $4 per month seems impossible. Do you not own a fridge?

He said that his Electricity is $4 per person. thats around 16Kw/hr per person per month.....
I think you misinterpreted the $4 per person statement. Ressl was referring to eating out at local restaurant.

If my assumptions are correct, a room for $50 is just that; a room. Maybe with your own washroom. No a/c, fan, hot water, fridge, TV, internet etc. Also no cooking facility. The electricity consumption would only be for lights and charging the phone.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

ressl wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:31 pm it gets challenging to have a total bill of more than $4 per person. My room costs me $50 per month. True, no pool, no gym; 1st floor (GF costs $65, but has this classic Khmer, semi upper floor included). Electricity bill rarely more than $4 per month. Water the same.
Where do you live?

He said that his Electricity is $4 per person. thats around 16Kw/hr per person per month.....
Nope, it was $4 per month. A standard fridge would use 1kwh per day

$4 water actually seems quite expensive though, relatively speaking
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

OK, let's see if I get all the comments wrapped up:
@cautious colin :
- Between Dangkor and Stueng Mean Chey. Depends which map you ask
- no, I don't have a fridge. No idea, what I should put in there
@Kammekor : I had this a couple of times, mostly in Indian restaurants (sometimes I feel for a chicken Byriani)
@phuketrichard :
- you might be surprised, but there are many available. Rooms start at $40, appartments at $300. For this price basically the same, only a different name (if you pay more, you get more rooms). the only difference is, that you need to buy your own furniture, but the return of investment is after a few months
- I don't have 20kg of laundry...
@Alex : no, no A/C. A fan is totally sufficient, sometimes I even don't switch that on. Maybe because I avoid A/C at work as well, so I am used to the temperatures
@IraHayes : since I am only one person, it makes no difference here
@Newinkow : except that there is Internet available (WiFi), you have hit it perfectly on the spot
@cautious colin : Yes, indeed, water is less, but I was too lazy to split this up
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

ressl wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:16 pm OK, let's see if I get all the comments wrapped up:
@cautious colin :
- Between Dangkor and Stueng Mean Chey. Depends which map you ask
- no, I don't have a fridge. No idea, what I should put in there
@Kammekor : I had this a couple of times, mostly in Indian restaurants (sometimes I feel for a chicken Byriani)
@phuketrichard :
- you might be surprised, but there are many available. Rooms start at $40, appartments at $300. For this price basically the same, only a different name (if you pay more, you get more rooms). the only difference is, that you need to buy your own furniture, but the return of investment is after a few months
- I don't have 20kg of laundry...
@Alex : no, no A/C. A fan is totally sufficient, sometimes I even don't switch that on. Maybe because I avoid A/C at work as well, so I am used to the temperatures
@IraHayes : since I am only one person, it makes no difference here
@Newinkow : except that there is Internet available (WiFi), you have hit it perfectly on the spot
@cautious colin : Yes, indeed, water is less, but I was too lazy to split this up
Well answered. I love to cook (and pickle/ferment/marinade etc) so I need a fridge, but everyone is different

Seems as though you have it figured out for yourself and that's all that matters
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

cautious colin wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:10 pm
Where do you live?

Nope, it was $4 per month. A standard fridge would use 1kwh per day

$4 water actually seems quite expensive though, relatively speaking
Some years ago I only used my house to sleep, run a fridge, fan and a pc.

My bill was typically $2.50 to $6 pcm for electricity. Water was below minimum charge of like $2 iirc

The electric rates haven't changed much since so I think it's entirely plausible

Now days I have a girlfriend a shit load of kids and a much bigger house and cook 50% electric and 50% gas. Bill is always $25 to $50 max
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

I think the post should really be titled how much to live in PhnomPenh. I don't know about Kampot etc, but here in Siem Reap it seems to be a lot cheaper than PP, according to visiting friends. Another point is, eating in restaurants 3 times a day will always cost more. Did you do that in your home country? Bet you didn't. Eating at home all week with the odd night out at the weekend was more the norm.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

I am the only one paying rent in my building, the others are either family, friends or people working with the owner. Money is only needed for the little things in life here, it seems.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic