Death Island- Koh Tao

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Death Island- Koh Tao

Post by Doc67 »

Grand Barong wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:07 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:57 am
Random Dude wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:06 am
Matty9999 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:37 pm
Matty9999 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:31 pm Was just looking into this, i was actually considering heading over to death island for a bit of curiosity tourism of course i wont stay too long, probably just jump over to another island to avoid any dangers.
Looks like theres been quite a few boating/snorkleing/scuba/swim accidents over on death island, with two people within the past 10 yrs run over by another boat while snorkeling, when i visit ill make sure to reserve snorkeling for another island (yes i have a snorkel and a packraft inside my luggage). theres been some murders and suicides as well as moto accidents, of course over here in cambo town, its drug ODs, and also moto accidents that seem to affect the expat and traveler community.
There may or may not be a (serial ?) killer running free there but the other things you mention, I wouldn't change my plans over.

Maybe not recently, but pre covid there were numerous ferries taking hundreds of tourists a day to Koh Tao. When you have that many people all diving, snorkeling, riding motos - often for the first time ever and probably drunk a lot of the time - you're going to have some accidents. I don't think the risk of snorkeling is any greater on KT than anywhere else though.

I'd stick with Koh Tao, there's some great snorkeling and diving there.
this time of year ur much better off on the west coast of thailand in the Andaman sea

Ian sensationalizes the island, he has a personal agenda .
What is his agenda? Don't keep us hanging....
Great question, so let's ask it:

@Ian Yarwood why are you constantly posting about this subject?
What connection, if any, do you have to this island or any of the events you expose that motivates you in your campaign?

Let's see what reply we get.
Spoiler:
don't hold your breath
Ian Yarwood
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ian Yarwood »

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/m ... s-26069528

Ben Perrin of the Birmingham Mail has a new article about the deaths of TWO Birmingham men, Ian Jacobs (35) who was found with a broken neck and the popular diving instructor, Neil Giblin (48) who was found dead in his rented bungalow on 18 January 2023.

RIP
Ian Yarwood
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ian Yarwood »

Koh Tao diving instructor, Neil Giblin (48) was found dead in his rented bungalow on 18 January 2023 by two female diving students, a German and a Canadian.

Four other instructors to die on the island are:
Virat Asavachin aka Mr Ban;
Yoshie Sazawa aka Sharlyn;
Alain Dolfen; and
Michael Spjuth.

Neil Giblin came from Birmingham, England where he worked on civil highway construction before becoming a 20+ year resident of Koh Tao. Ian Jacobs (35) also came from Birmingham, England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 and was found dead on Koh Tao with a broken neck only two weeks after his arrival.

RIP
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

was thinking of going to diving in koh tao for some diving later this year... this stuff really turns me off.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

They just keep dying there, not suspicious at all.
Ian Yarwood
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ian Yarwood »

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

People die, and sometimes on an Island.

Australia has twice the death rate of the Gaza Strip or the West Bank*, so shall we start calling it Death Island as well?

People die young, it doesn't make it murder.

Scuba diving involves being where nature didn't intend, hence the need for masks, tubes, air and very strict rules about surfacing too quickly. Is it not possible that 20 years of doing that might just pop a blood vessel that would have been just fine if he was a bar owner or a lion tamer?

*https://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?c=as&v=26
Ian Yarwood
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ian Yarwood »

5 Koh Tao scuba diving instructors who died

PLUS

2 divemasters

PLUS

2 novice diving students.

Ian Yarwood
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ian Yarwood »

New article in the BIRMINGHAM WORLD about the very suspicious death of Birmingham man, Ian Jacobs,35, who was found dead with a broken neck on Koh Tao in January 2000.

The renewed interest follows the untimely death of Koh Tao diving instructor, Neil Giblin, 48, who was found dead in his rented bungalow on 18 January 2023. Neil also came from Birmingham in England. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

https://www.birminghamworld.uk/news/bir ... nd-4023618
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Ian Yarwood wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:43 pm 5 Koh Tao scuba diving instructors who died

PLUS

2 divemasters

PLUS

2 novice diving students.

So in a nut shell what would be a plausible motive?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic