visa expires, while at immigration for extension

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Malone
Expatriate
Cambodia

visa expires, while at immigration for extension

Post by Malone »

hello,
like the title says, i am currently waiting for a work permit, and after that to extend my visa at immigration.
thing is, until all that's done, my visa is more than likely expired.
so how much of a problem is that? do i have to pay overstay?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: visa expires, while at immigration for extension

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

If your Visa Extension of Stay is not received by the DoI Visa Office by the date your current Visa/EOS's expiry date, then you will accrue $10 per day in overstay fines which will need to be paid at the time you submit your EOS application.
Malone
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Malone »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:19 pm If your Visa Extension of Stay is not received by the DoI Visa Office by the date your current Visa/EOS's expiry date, then you will accrue $10 per day in overstay fines which will need to be paid at the time you submit your EOS application.
thanks for the quick response.
so i would have to pay for the days I'm late for drop off at DoI, but not for the days of processing time to get extension approved, right?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Malone wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:24 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:19 pm If your Visa Extension of Stay is not received by the DoI Visa Office by the date your current Visa/EOS's expiry date, then you will accrue $10 per day in overstay fines which will need to be paid at the time you submit your EOS application.
thanks for the quick response.
so i would have to pay for the days I'm late for drop off at DoI, but not for the days of processing time to get extension approved, right?
Correct, once your passport and EOS application are received by the DoI Visa Office you stop accruing overstay days.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Malone wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:14 pm hello,
like the title says, i am currently waiting for a work permit, and after that to extend my visa at immigration.
thing is, until all that's done, my visa is more than likely expired.
so how much of a problem is that? do i have to pay overstay?
I'm guessing you mean that you are currently on the EP EOS and that you are waiting for your work permit to be processed, at which time you will be able to convert into EB.

If I were you I would just consider doing a border run and getting another ordinary visa. Its a fun trip anyway.

Do you have a clear timeline on when your work permit will be done?
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Can I ask, are you handling application for your WP yourself or is your employer doing it? And in either case was the application made using the online portal or another way? I've been having a discussion with our HR lady on the proper way of doing it.
I'm sure that somewhere else on here it was mentioned that as long as you had a receipt for the WP application that would suffice for the Visa application. Otherwise it's a bit of a pain for anyone whose Visa expires early each year.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@Bluenose Yes, proof (ie. Receipt) is sufficient for EOS application
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:30 am @Bluenose Yes, proof (ie. Receipt) is sufficient for EOS application
Many thanks, HR was taking a short-cut with her mate at the Ministry
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic