Search for Survivors Underway After Boat Sinks Off Sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Search for Survivors Underway After Boat Sinks Off Sihanoukville

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Sihanouk Province): According to the confirmation of boat owner, Then Yeun, his fishing boat and crew sank last night, at around 2am on 30 January 2023, near Koh Thas, between Koh Rong Samloen and Sihanouk City. There are high winds and big waves off the coast at the present time, a storm warning was issued, and the weather is presumed to be the cause of the accident. The boat owner added that there were six people on board the fishing vessel when it went down.
Currently, Okhna Tia Vichet has sent two high-speed boats from his company,which, in cooperation with the police, are continuing to search for survivors, although the search is facing a lot of difficulties due to the strong winds and waves.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
chriz_PP
Expatriate
China

Re: Search for Survivors Underway After Boat Sinks Off Sihanoukville

Post by chriz_PP »

screw those people shipping out during storm warnings. they should be forced to pay every penny of the rescue operation (as a warning to future fishers).

nevertheless I obviously hope they will be found, rescued and will be safe and sound.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

chriz_PP wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:26 pm screw those people shipping out during storm warnings. they should be forced to pay every penny of the rescue operation (as a warning to future fishers).

nevertheless I obviously hope they will be found, rescued and will be safe and sound.
If you can afford a fishing boat then surely you can afford a few days off!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Yobbo wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:44 pm
chriz_PP wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:26 pm screw those people shipping out during storm warnings. they should be forced to pay every penny of the rescue operation (as a warning to future fishers).

What makes you think that? Many fishermen can barely subsist.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Worked on a fishing boat over the America's Cup off Fremantle, Gage Roads, 1983, when the wind blew up sending us to the leeward side of Rottnest Island waiting for the winds to pass - they didn't! The captain said there's no way he can afford to lose his gear (nets) so we're going first thing in the morning to retrieve them. It was fucking awful with multiple instances of almost capsizing - I walked off the boat in Fremantle, got paid, and quit on the spot.

I've known several fisherman, all of them relics of a different era, all of them assholes, and all of them broke!
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

What if those fishermen were forced out due to debt problems or other obligations? Desperate people do everything to get out of shitty times.
work is for people who cant find truffles
chriz_PP
Expatriate
China

Post by chriz_PP »

truffledog wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:36 pm What if those fishermen were forced out due to debt problems or other obligations? Desperate people do everything to get out of shitty times.
valid point but ultimately they aren't kids (with regards to responsibility); rescues bear lethal risks and cost money. it's just so unnecessary in this case
chriz_PP
Expatriate
China

Post by chriz_PP »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:21 pm Worked on a fishing boat over the America's Cup off Fremantle, Gage Roads, 1983, when the wind blew up sending us to the leeward side of Rottnest Island waiting for the winds to pass - they didn't! The captain said there's no way he can afford to lose his gear (nets) so we're going first thing in the morning to retrieve them. It was fucking awful with multiple instances of almost capsizing - I walked off the boat in Fremantle, got paid, and quit on the spot.

I've known several fisherman, all of them relics of a different era, all of them assholes, and all of them broke!
the cost guard in their control and rescue ships are absolute savages (I'm absolutely in awe every time I'm seeing and LISTENING to some YouTube uploads of them maneuvering in heavy waters).
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Yobbo wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:44 pm

From the OP, I got the impression that the "owner" of the boat was safely onshore, and if his crew went out in bad weather then they probably didn't have much choice.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE
Rescue workers searching the sea for the missing fishermen have recovered two men alive and taken them to hospital in Sihanoukville.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic