passport question

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
one_dolla
Expatriate

Re: passport question

Post by one_dolla »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:23 am
2sevensclash wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:12 amyawn
I applied for a replacement UK passport on October 10th and received it on December 8th in Phnom Penh, so 8 weeks. I have heard stories of 12+ weeks, so maybe I was lucky. They advise the process can take up to 16 weeks.

If your niece is thinking of applying while traveling, be prepared for 16 weeks in one place - once you apply you cannot use your old passport.
a couple of questions if care to answer
Did you retain your UK passport and send off a colour photocopy
What if any other documents did you need with the application and I assume you did this in Phnom Penh (debating if to do this here or later in year in UK)
thanks !
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

one_dolla wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:46 pm
Doc67 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:23 am
2sevensclash wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:12 amyawn
I applied for a replacement UK passport on October 10th and received it on December 8th in Phnom Penh, so 8 weeks. I have heard stories of 12+ weeks, so maybe I was lucky. They advise the process can take up to 16 weeks.

If your niece is thinking of applying while traveling, be prepared for 16 weeks in one place - once you apply you cannot use your old passport.
a couple of questions if care to answer
Did you retain your UK passport and send off a colour photocopy
What if any other documents did you need with the application and I assume you did this in Phnom Penh (debating if to do this here or later in year in UK)
thanks !
1. Yes, you keep your passport after the application, but you are NOT allowed to travel on it.

2. Documents required are: an application form filled in with BLACK ink; a colour photocopy of every page of your old passport; your old passport; two recent passport photos**; a credit card payment form (VFS do not take the payment.)

The clerk will check the application form, check the copies against the passport, check the photos and check the payment form. Once all is in order you will be given your passport back. It takes about 10 minutes.

For the application form, guidance notes and the payment form, start here: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

If you are going to do it from here, do it now before UK holiday season kicks in and the PO is deluged again.

Once the application is sent off you should see the credit card debited within a week (mine took 4 days). After that you hear nothing, for weeks, then months. VFS is no good, they know nothing about the progress. All you will get back is an email from them so make sure their email address is on your contacts list or it might end up in the spam folder and missed.

** Unless your appearance has markedly changed in the last 10 years you don't need to get the pictures countersigned.
Last edited by Doc67 on Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

thanks
2sevensclash
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by 2sevensclash »

My niece ended up flying back to the UK. She paid an extra £100 and got a new 10 year passport in under a week, (its called an emergency application i think) you fill in the form, get an appointment then go to the passport office to pick it up.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

2sevensclash wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:31 am My niece ended up flying back to the UK. She paid an extra £100 and got a new 10 year passport in under a week, (its called an emergency application i think) you fill in the form, get an appointment then go to the passport office to pick it up.

Wow, consider the climate change impact of flying all the way from Bali to the UK just to get a passport!
2sevensclash
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by 2sevensclash »

She did and she then considered all the private jets flying into COP22 so that they could meet up and tell people to stop flying so much. Image
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

2sevensclash wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:56 pm She did and she then considered all the private jets flying into COP22 so that they could meet up and tell people to stop flying so much.
All kinds of arguments can be made, it's always possible to turn it around to someone else, but in the end we have to try to take responsibility for our own actions. Including my own flight to Cambodia! I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of getting a UK passport, but it seemed to be implied that she could have remained in Bali and gotten it.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

2sevensclash wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:31 am My niece ended up flying back to the UK. She paid an extra £100 and got a new 10 year passport in under a week, (its called an emergency application i think) you fill in the form, get an appointment then go to the passport office to pick it up.
One of those expensive lessons in life you'll never forget....
2sevensclash
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by 2sevensclash »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:30 pm
2sevensclash wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:56 pm She did and she then considered all the private jets flying into COP22 so that they could meet up and tell people to stop flying so much.
All kinds of arguments can be made, it's always possible to turn it around to someone else, but in the end we have to try to take responsibility for our own actions. Including my own flight to Cambodia! I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of getting a UK passport, but it seemed to be implied that she could have remained in Bali and gotten it.
She could not get a new passport when out of the UK, only a travel document
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic