Khao San road thru the ages

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: Khao San road thru the ages

Post by truffledog »

Big Daikon wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:18 pm
John Bingham wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:57 pm I never got why anyone on holiday would want to watch videos of old episodes of Friends.
Obviously, Laos is a better spot to watch Friends.
Vang Vieng had a least 50 restaurants doing Friends all day in those times.
work is for people who cant find truffles
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:57 pm I never got why anyone on holiday would want to watch videos of old episodes of Friends.
was in Vang Vieng in 2011 when it was a full ln party town full of young kids getting shitfaced on the river (with 27 dying that year alone) and in the bars, Plus open all night

Back in 2012 and by 10 pm most everything was closed and most places along the river were shut down ( and the backpackers had moved on) when the government got tired of the way things were going
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:38 am
was in Vang Vieng in 2011 when it was a full ln party town full of young kids getting shitfaced on the river (with 27 dying that year alone) and in the bars, Plus open all night

Back in 2012 and by 10 pm most everything was closed and most places along the river were shut down ( and the backpackers had moved on) when the government got tired of the way things were going
I was in VV in 2013 or 14. The vibe seemed less crazy than the stories I've heard. Still had fun tubing down the river and stomping around the jungle.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Vang Vieng was a brilliant madness while it was a thing.

Knew a local woman who had three houses next to each other along the river, each one them representing a western boyfriend or husband she'd once had.

Met an Irishman who was always drunk by 12pm and would get his money stolen by the same massage girls each week because he'd pass out on their table. I ask him why he kept going back to be told the massages were really that good.

Met an Australian journalist who was drinking early afternoon and was obviously pissed. Within a minute he straightened himself up, did a live cross for Australian radio, then recommenced drinking and continued our conversation without skipping a beat.

The murky late night bar at the old airstrip got raided early one morning by ten army dudes with Aks. I asked Bear (the bar organizer/owner) why they were there to be told he hadn't paid "tea money" for a while.

A local monk used to go out regularly at night get drunk, fight, then you'd see him raking leaves in his robes at 7am.

A Swedish guy tried to take on the pancake cart mafia with his burger cart and promptly got driven off rather unceremoniously....
...many more memories.

Vang Vieng could never last, but for a while it was a hilarious place to spend time with some brilliant company to be had.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic