A hero in my book, "Father Joe"

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

A hero in my book, "Father Joe"

Post by phuketrichard »

Turned his life around an saved thousands as well;

‘I was a drunk for 20 years’: The unlikely US priest revered in the slums of Bangkok
Father Joe arrived in Bangkok in the 1970’s. Fifty years, 15 schools and 30,000 students later, he credits the community with saving him

“This other priest is always drunk, so you go take his place.”
With that simple instruction, Joseph H Maeir, a Catholic priest from the United States, found himself in Thailand, ending up in the slums of Bangkok in the 1970s.

Fifty years later, he has nursed HIV patients, saved children from the streets and provided an education to the very poorest, and is now a slum celebrity with a slew of accolades in Thailand.

Yet the octogenarian credits all his accomplishments to others. “I’ve never had an idea on my own,” he says.

Maeir, who goes by the moniker Father Joe, says the church moved him to Thailand in 1967 because they considered him a nuisance who drunk and talked too much. After a stint in Laos cut short by the civil war, he returned to serve the minority Catholic population in Bangkok in 1972.

But rather than opt to live in the areas popular with the expats of the time, the new parish priest settled in a slaughterhouse in the district of Khlong Toei. At that time Catholics dominated the city’s pork production, he says.

“They lived in the slaughterhouse and they needed a priest … no decent priest wanted to deal with [them] but I said I’m a smelly old foreigner, low class, dirt farmer-poor Irish so I will be the priest.”

Half a century later, he’s a neighbourhood staple and says the dogs no longer bark at him and the nights of rats “licking the salt from his hair” as he tries to sleep are long gone.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... of-bangkok
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: A hero in my book, "Father Joe"

Post by yong »

Very touching story. Thanks.
WillieW
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by WillieW »

He's certainly a hero and the world needs more people like that. Perhaps someone should make a film about his life?
Be your own toy.
angsta
Expatriate
Iran

Post by angsta »

He used to have a column in The Nation newspaper maybe 15 years ago in Thailand. He told some pretty horrific true stories. His articles went into a book.

AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic