Sihanoukville is a Mess; Authorities React

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: Sihanoukville is a Mess; Authorities React

Post by mannanman »

jaynewcastle wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:03 am First time I've actually seen what has happened to the beachfront along from the pier & the streets behind it since my last visit in Jan 2018

I knew what happened to the right of the pier along that lovely stretch of shoreline where Above Us Only Sky used to be

I doubt there is anybody who thinks that's an improvement on what was there several years ago

Just so sad to see
Above Us is still there and run by a German guy, who tells the occasional very funny joke (2017).

I’ve seen that video before but I just couldn’t watch all of it with his annoying geeza talk plus lots of inaccuracies. Was he even there pre China to compare it as it was still a shithole just “our shithole”!

Went beginning of the year and the beach is great stil if a little cleaner than before.
People of the world, spice up your life.
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

He's a complainer, just churning out useless megabytes of video with complaints. Is there still a huge load of shit floating around in the ocean? I haven't been there in ages. I have always preferred Kampot, even in the past.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

atst wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:42 am Bloody hell I watched the video and now this guy is popping up on my Facebook and YouTube, I didn't like it but someone thinks I did and can't get enough of it.
Tip: On YouTube, hover your cursor in the bottom righthand corner, just outside the frame of the video you wish to get rid of. Three vertical dots appear. Click at this point and a drop down menu appears. Click Don't Recommend Channel. You can say bye bye forever.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Flexxman wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:56 pm
willyhilly wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:32 pm And the nightclub there.
Biba. Now that was a weird place with the plastic flowers on the tables to hand to karaoke singers singing well. Beer promo girls almost fighting to get you to drink their brand. Counting the number of plastic plates under the pitcher to see how many your company had to settle your bill.

The food - unexpectedly - was also not bad, including large steamed fishes. Mamasan style waitress with a catalog full of pictures to choose/book the $5 girl to your liking from (or just leaf through for fun), copies of those pics plastered on the wall near the toilets where the small rooms to provide their services were. That also was the barang price, locals paid less.
Gene the manager from Ocean's bar took me there, surprisingly nice considering the sights on the road on the way.
I found it very intimating & looked like an area where things could go wrong very easily.
Never went back!
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

jaynewcastle wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:03 am First time I've actually seen what has happened to the beachfront along from the pier & the streets behind it since my last visit in Jan 2018

I knew what happened to the right of the pier along that lovely stretch of shoreline where Above Us Only Sky used to be

I doubt there is anybody who thinks that's an improvement on what was there several years ago

Just so sad to see

I did like the old rocky beachfront better too but basically all locals I know love the new road and boardwalk. There are activities for kids and food vendors in the evenings. Also every month there are big events. Last month couple big concerts and this weekend some sort of street market that seem to attract the local crowd:

Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

rogerrabbit wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:17 pm

Just so sad to see

I did like the old rocky beachfront better too but basically all locals I know love the new road and boardwalk. There are activities for kids and food vendors in the evenings. Also every month there are big events. Last month couple big concerts and this weekend some sort of street market that seem to attract the local crowd:

I spoke this week with a massage-girl who used to work in PP and was now in SHV, and she was very happy, she said; "for me much better here, high payed salary, almost doubble then PP". I knever had problems with chinese, and if the prices have gone up massively because of them, okay, didnt they when the yanks started coming here you think ?? And in de video he is speaking about how dirty it is, if you walk in Daun Penh, in my eyes its worse !! ??
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

"When the Yanks started coming"? When was that?

I agree that the English guy was complaining a bit much. The pavement he was walking on looked fine to me. It was flat and clear, better than most in the capital. Does he criticize the pavements in Thailand too?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Biba. That was the place. It was weird. I only went a couple of times. So the rocky headland now has a boardwalk? That sounds OK.
The pommy geezer with the stupid hat was fixated by the paving. And the levels. It’s typical of all of Asia isn’t it?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

January 26, 2023
Action plan soon for S’ville unfinished buildings

The government may soon come out with an action plan to address the issue of over 1,100 unfinished buildings in Sihanoukville that has been plaguing the coastal city for the last three years as a stark reminder of botched investments, mostly by Chinese nationals.

An inter-ministerial meeting was convened by the Ministry of Economy and Finance recently to address the issue and take stock of the ground realities and also to probe measures to get the constructions completed at the earliest, a Facebook post by Long Dimanche, Deputy Governor of Preah Sihanouk province and the spokesman of the administration, confirmed.

The meeting discussed the preparation of incentives and package measures to resolve the stalled investment projects in the Sihanouk province, the post said. Inputs from all participating parties were collected to find a common mechanism to address the issue.

The administration will soon start identifying unfinished buildings with an investment of $1 million or more to prepare an action plan. The buildings were left unfinished, mostly by Chinese investors who left the country in 2019 and early 2020 following a ban on online gambling and shutdowns in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic.

The Chinese built on land leased from Cambodian owners and the stalled constructions left the latter also in dire straits. The unfinished constructions also stood as eyesores for the otherwise sprawling coastal city, known to attract a large number of tourists.

There were also strident calls from various sections of society recently that urged the government to take the initiative to address the issue of unfinished constructions.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501226201/ ... buildings/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

willyhilly wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:11 pm Biba. That was the place. It was weird. I only went a couple of times.
I wasn't a regular there either, just a place to visit sometimes. Similar to the 24h Freedom Bar/Hotel/Restaurant in town.

Picture shows inside Biba, November 2003.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic