Best Route To Take To Kampot On A Motorcycle

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Best Route To Take To Kampot On A Motorcycle

Post by Newinkow »

I have been to Kampot many times but I have always taken the bus. Giant Ibis. I never really paid attention to what route the bus took. I usually nap part of the way.

I have recently purchase a 125cc motorcycle and want to make the trip by motorcycle. I read somewhere awhile back that they have upgraded the highway to Kampot. I Google Map the direction to Kampot. It shows two options to take. The recommend route is highway 3 (2hr 42 min no tolls). The other option is highway 41 (3 hrs 24 min tolls).

Which route is the better option if riding a motorcycle? Did they upgrade highway 3 or 41? What are the pros and cons of the two different options? I'm not in speed. I'm looking for a nice relaxing ride with not to many "crazy" locals or big trucks. If highway 41 is the upgrade highway, what is the cost for tolls.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Ian
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Re: Best Route To Take To Kampot On A Motorcycle

Post by Ian »

Best advice i can give is to put yourself and scooter on the train. Get off at kampot and do ride explore the local areas like bokor, kep etc then take the train back to pp. Thats what i will be doing from now on.

HWY 3 has plenty of trucks and can be quite dangerous. Route 41 used to be the best option I believe has become very busy with overflow traffic from route 3. Too many crazy chinese on the road now not to mention the locals.

I have done the trip many times on a large bike, the idea of doing it on a scooter horrifies me.
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

Ian wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:00 am Best advice i can give is to put yourself and scooter on the train. Get off at kampot and do ride explore the local areas like bokor, kep etc then take the train back to pp. Thats what i will be doing from now on.

HWY 3 has plenty of trucks and can be quite dangerous. Route 41 used to be the best option I believe has become very busy with overflow traffic from route 3. Too many crazy chinese on the road now not to mention the locals.

I have done the trip many times on a large bike, the idea of doing it on a scooter horrifies me.
Thanks for your reply. I have also done the train before but not with taking
a scooter.

I want to at least give the scooter a shoot and see for myself. That was one of the major reason I purchase the scooter. To be able to travel the country.

Do you know which HWY was upgraded? I was told it was resurfaced and widen or am I wrong on my assumption? Also HWY 41, based on Google Map, is a toll HWY. Do you know the cost of tolls?

Thank
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

41 isn't in terrible condition and it's certainly safer than 3

There also isn't tolls on 41
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

Darkcel wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:59 am 41 isn't in terrible condition and it's certainly safer than 3

There also isn't tolls on 41
Thanks for your reply and helpful info.

I assume HWY 3 was the one that was upgraded then. By your's and Ian's reply, I assuming that HWY 3 is the HWY of choice for commercial traffic. Based on Google Map, HWY 3 it's the shorter of the two options based on time.

I'm in no rush to get there. Most likely leave in the morning and take my time. Will most likely be doing around 60 km and hour during the trip and keep to the right of the road. The only downside to that are stray dogs and cows wandering onto the HWY and crazy locals pulling on to the HWY from a side street/intersection without looking or stopping.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I didnt go for long time, but 41 was a perfect gravel-road with no traffic n that time, much quicker then the normal 3 road.
But i came back doing a slight detour by Kep and going on road 31, 126 and 2 passing Takev. Its slightly longer and slower but alot less trafic, porbably woth a scooter the better option !!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Much of a muchness really

Both pretty fast and safe now.

Probably more retards on road 3
Ian
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by Ian »

Bongmab69 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:43 pm I didnt go for long time, but 41 was a perfect gravel-road with no traffic n that time, much quicker then the normal 3 road.
But i came back doing a slight detour by Kep and going on road 31, 126 and 2 passing Takev. Its slightly longer and slower but alot less trafic, porbably woth a scooter the better option !!
The last time i did 41 or 3 was about 4 years ago. 41 had always been the best route but was getting busy. The only downside was the short section of hwy 4 at the beginning. I would probably go with what Bongmab said above. Switch it up with some back roads. BTW i thought i saw an anounceement by The Big Man a few months ago that 41 was going to get a major upgrade. Not sure when thats scheduled to start.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Newinkow wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:10 am I have been to Kampot many times but I have always taken the bus. Giant Ibis. I never really paid attention to what route the bus took. I usually nap part of the way.

I have recently purchase a 125cc motorcycle and want to make the trip by motorcycle. I read somewhere awhile back that they have upgraded the highway to Kampot. I Google Map the direction to Kampot. It shows two options to take. The recommend route is highway 3 (2hr 42 min no tolls). The other option is highway 41 (3 hrs 24 min tolls). You must be a strong young male :D

Which route is the better option if riding a motorcycle? Did they upgrade highway 3 or 41? What are the pros and cons of the two different options? I'm not in speed. I'm looking for a nice relaxing ride with not to many "crazy" locals or big trucks. If highway 41 is the upgrade highway, what is the cost for tolls.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Boredom is like a shroud
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

UPDATE:

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions.

I made the trip to Kampot on my motorbike last week. The route I took was Hwy 3.

I was presently surprise at the condition of Hwy 3. It's a nice paved Hwy all the way to Kampot. The 1st part of the Hwy (heading out from PP) is a nice 2 lane divided Hwy. The last 70 odd km was a single lane Hwy. There was not much traffic once you are outside of PP. I took my time averaging about 60 km/hr keeping to the right. No crazy locals or big trucks running me off the road.

Over all it was a very enjoyable ride. Although my bum was sore for the long ride. Now that I know the condition of the Hwy, I will most likely be making more trips down to Kampot.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic