What Cambodians pack when traveling to and from Western countries

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
BaronVonBaron
Tourist

What Cambodians pack when traveling to and from Western countries

Post by BaronVonBaron »

Every time my wife travels from the USA to Cambodia, she loads up the suitcases with bottles of vitamins to take to friends and family.

When I ask why, she says vitamins are really expensive in Cambodia.

Well, they're not cheap in the USA either. Guess who gets to pay for the vitamins she buys in the USA? I do.

It's not just her. Friends of hers in the USA will ship my wife vitamins to take to their own families in Cambodia.

So we're always at the weight limit for checked in luggage. Guess who gets to carry these heavy suitcases full of vitamins in and out of the taxi, the airport, etc. I do.

What's with the Cambodian vitamin obsession? Cambodians aren't exactly health nuts. Many of them abhor exercise, eat loads of fried carbohydrates, and tempt fate by leaving cooked food on the counter overnight before eating leftovers. Taking a Centrum a day isn't going to turn them into Jack LaLanne.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: What Cambodians pack when traveling to and from Western countries

Post by cautious colin »

BaronVonBaron wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:52 am Every time my wife travels from the USA to Cambodia, she loads up the suitcases with bottles of vitamins to take to friends and family.

Well, they're not cheap in the USA either. Guess who gets to pay for the vitamins she buys in the USA? I do.

It's not just her. Friends of hers in the USA will ship my wife vitamins to take to their own families in Cambodia.

So we're always at the weight limit for checked in luggage. Guess who gets to carry these heavy suitcases full of vitamins in and out of the taxi, the airport, etc. I do.

What's with the Cambodian vitamin obsession? Cambodians aren't exactly health nuts. Many of them abhor exercise, eat loads of fried carbohydrates, and tempt fate by leaving cooked food on the counter overnight before eating leftovers. Taking a Centrum a day isn't going to turn them into Jack LaLanne.
Maybe it is actually USAs obsession with vitamins which is rubbing off on them.

Never understood the need myself, unless you have a terrible diet they are worthless
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Perceived easy way to stay healthy without having to worry about lifestyle. Shortcut culture.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Missus friend sends cosmetics from the US back to Cambodia. Which she uses herself and sells in her shop there. Her grandparents live here.

Recently she sent a care package to missus of US cosmetics. Facial creams, under eye moisturizer, etc. From Dallas.

Missus can buy them at any CVS, Walgreens, Kohl’s, etc. No need to drive to Dallas to get them.

But it’s the kindness and thought that counts.

Products from abroad are perceived to have purity standards. Also bringing them with you avoid the import tax that makes the same product in Cambodia more expensive to buy.

Just my opinions of course.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

BaronVonBaron wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:52 am Every time my wife travels from the USA to Cambodia, she loads up the suitcases with bottles of vitamins to take to friends and family.

Vitamins are readily available here in most pharmacies.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

canucklhead wrote: Vitamins are readily available here in most pharmacies.
But they are more expensive due to tax and middle man. Also purity is in question with local products.

The icing is that there is a kind foreigner husband willing to lug all those vitamins for her better half’s family well being.

Just my opinions, of course.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Vitamin pills are completely unregulated in USA so don't expect them to follow any standard beyond maximising profit.

When we go abroad my wife likes to visit the second hand clothes shops.
Scarier than malaria.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic