FAMILY man in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: FAMILY man in Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Alex wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:43 am
Kammekor wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:34 am
Alex wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:53 pm Why anyone (Western) in their right mind would send their children to school in Cambodia is beyond me, but maybe I'm missing something? Government schools are shite and private schools are a ripoff.

I don't plan to have children, but if it should happen by accident, I'd ship them off to stay with my sis in my home country once they need schooling. They'll thank me later.
At first sight your reasoning seems correct, but in reality it isn't always the case.
When I compare the skills I had at the age my kid has now.... My kid wins in almost every way. Not talking digital skills here.
My kid manages two scripts, me only one, speaks reads and writes three languages versus only one at that age for me. Kid has extensive experience in two cultures versus experience in only one culture for me. I think I had only been abroad a few times in neighboring countries at that age, my kid manages to guide me through international airports.
I think if parents make an effort decent education can be arranged in Cambodia but you need either private schooling, home schooling, or both. So you need the money, the time, or both. If those aren't available you're right.
Fair enough, if you have the qualifications and time as in your case. I'm more doubtful about the quality of private schools though.
One addition, my experience is with primary education only. Secondary might be another story, can't tell it from the horse's mouth yet.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:59 am
Kammekor wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:34 am
Alex wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:53 pm Why anyone (Western) in their right mind would send their children to school in Cambodia is beyond me, but maybe I'm missing something? Government schools are shite and private schools are a ripoff.

I don't plan to have children, but if it should happen by accident, I'd ship them off to stay with my sis in my home country once they need schooling. They'll thank me later.
At first sight your reasoning seems correct, but in reality it isn't always the case.
When I compare the skills I had at the age my kid has now.... My kid wins in almost every way. Not talking digital skills here.
My kid manages two scripts, me only one, speaks reads and writes three languages versus only one at that age for me. Kid has extensive experience in two cultures versus experience in only one culture for me. I think I had only been abroad a few times in neighboring countries at that age, my kid manages to guide me through international airports.
I think if parents make an effort decent education can be arranged in Cambodia but you need either private schooling, home schooling, or both. So you need the money, the time, or both. If those aren't available you're right.
And that's the rub; if you want to push the kids out of the house at 7 in the morning and expect the school to do all the hard work, you are going to be disappointed. This applies to schools back in our respective home countries. You get out what you put in.

Schools in the west will, at most, teach kids to pass their exams, go to university and then get a job so they can pay the taxes. Schools' other role in society is also to take them off your hands so you can go to work and pay the taxes too.

I'm so glad my two are all grown up, working hard and paying their taxes so I can get my old age pension and knees replaced in the fullness of time.
I agree totally with @Doc67 A small example is based on my experience at my current job. I work as a Pre-k teacher in Brooklyn and you can tell which students will be more successful in school by the amount of involvement from the parent. This isn't always the case but I notice when the care giver is more involved, the student seems to do better and higher functioning. There are many different reasons why a care giver cannot or will not be as involved- that is a different discussion.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Silence, exile, and cunning.
sammycooke
Expatriate
Canada

Post by sammycooke »

My observation, and I've thought about it for 30 years, is that you can have 5 kids and do your best or 5 kids and be a loser and your kids are going to be much much different from each other. One will be very successful, a couple will get by just fine and one will be a total fuck up.

I've seen it over and over. A large family with exactly that scenario. Parents who push their kids hard, look down on everyone else and end up with a workaholic son that makes a million but loses his wife to another man because he's never home, regardless of the horses and beautiful waterfront home; and in the same family a lying thieving loser who ends up shooting himself. And everything in between.

True story.

Another large family (both families had 9 or 10 kids) with an alcoholic father, losers of the town but end up having the same situation. A couple of very successful kids and of course a total alcoholic deadbeat son who never worked a day in his life, and everything in between.

In my situation one son did everything I did only better. I always had a motorcycle, he built his own. I worked in construction, he had a construction company, I fooled around boxing with friends, he went in the ring in front of 2,000 fans for a fundraiser, I kayaked for fun, he whitewatered for a month through remote northern Canada. My wife used to call him Sammy 2.0. Lol (not my name) and the other son we're still lending money to, at almost 40 years old, but never getting back. (the wife does, not me)

Just don't think you can micromanage your kid's life and be disappointed in the end. Love them, guide them, give them opportunity and space and hope for the best.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

sammycooke wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:57 am My observation, and I've thought about it for 30 years, is that you can have 5 kids and do your best or 5 kids and be a loser and your kids are going to be much much different from each other. One will be very successful, a couple will get by just fine and one will be a total fuck up.

I've seen it over and over. A large family with exactly that scenario. Parents who push their kids hard, look down on everyone else and end up with a workaholic son that makes a million but loses his wife to another man because he's never home, regardless of the horses and beautiful waterfront home; and in the same family a lying thieving loser who ends up shooting himself. And everything in between.

True story.

Another large family (both families had 9 or 10 kids) with an alcoholic father, losers of the town but end up having the same situation. A couple of very successful kids and of course a total alcoholic deadbeat son who never worked a day in his life, and everything in between.

In my situation one son did everything I did only better. I always had a motorcycle, he built his own. I worked in construction, he had a construction company, I fooled around boxing with friends, he went in the ring in front of 2,000 fans for a fundraiser, I kayaked for fun, he whitewatered for a month through remote northern Canada. My wife used to call him Sammy 2.0. Lol (not my name) and the other son we're still lending money to, at almost 40 years old, but never getting back. (the wife does, not me)

Just don't think you can micromanage your kid's life and be disappointed in the end. Love them, guide them, give them opportunity and space and hope for the best.
Agree w/ this statement from @sammycooke

Also i was going to respond but let it go about " gangsta rap" music and other things that some dude in his opinion was to blame for kids fuck ups.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

BklynBoy wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:05 am
sammycooke wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:57 am My observation, and I've thought about it for 30 years, is that you can have 5 kids and do your best or 5 kids and be a loser and your kids are going to be much much different from each other. One will be very successful, a couple will get by just fine and one will be a total fuck up.

True story.

Agree w/ this statement from @sammycooke

Also i was going to respond but let it go about " gangsta rap" music and other things that some dude in his opinion was to blame for kids fuck ups.
I had plenty NWA and the like when I was in my teens. I could have just been an accountant, now I’m one with a bad attitude instead.
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

A couple of thoughts here -

- if you school your kids overseas there is a good chance they will want to live there and not be back in kow, so prepare yourself to be far away from them if your eventual ambition is to return here. Is that really what uou want?
- don't underestimate the opportunities for locally educated people who have the right ability and attitude. We have many local/ locally educated managers earning $3k to $4k per month which is better than a lot of people in here. These are the market rates for these people and they have multiple options. There are other places that will pay more for certain specializations. All of these managers were educated in normal high schools and studied in local universities
- people who had been raised predominantly overseas so either were not fluent in reading/writing khmer and more importantly were not culturally Khmer and couldn't assimilate with the local teams would not be considered and would find it much harder to get such roles.
- a follow on from the last point, overseas educated raised and educated kids would more likely to be viewed as a 'local expat' by the job markets with all the associated limitations that being an expat brings
- local/mixed kids raised at the high end private schools here would predominantly want to study university overseas (can you afford that) and either work overseas or have family wealth and husinesses to return to. Very few will be scouting the local job markets

I think a kid educated at a good local private school (western/beltei) supplemented by additional tutoring or parental support, fluent in reading and writing khmer with an overseas degree (absolutely not necessary but optimal) and with the outlook and attitude from a developed nation parent would have ttemendous opportunity here in the labor market and would probably be given opportunities they would find hard to come by back home

For full disclosure I have 2 older kids (no kow parent) state educated in Europe and now have 2 small ones here. Older is in CIS, younger will go when of age. May consider another option such as ispp if the need arises. Have the financial means to support that but understand it may mean they seek their futures in another land
Kingofthesky
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Kingofthesky »

Element6 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:28 am A couple of thoughts here -

- if you school your kids overseas there is a good chance they will want to live there and not be back in kow, so prepare yourself to be far away from them if your eventual ambition is to return here. Is that really what uou want?
- don't underestimate the opportunities for locally educated people who have the right ability and attitude. We have many local/ locally educated managers earning $3k to $4k per month which is better than a lot of people in here. These are the market rates for these people and they have multiple options. There are other places that will pay more for certain specializations. All of these managers were educated in normal high schools and studied in local universities
- people who had been raised predominantly overseas so either were not fluent in reading/writing khmer and more importantly were not culturally Khmer and couldn't assimilate with the local teams would not be considered and would find it much harder to get such roles.
- a follow on from the last point, overseas educated raised and educated kids would more likely to be viewed as a 'local expat' by the job markets with all the associated limitations that being an expat brings
- local/mixed kids raised at the high end private schools here would predominantly want to study university overseas (can you afford that) and either work overseas or have family wealth and husinesses to return to. Very few will be scouting the local job markets

I think a kid educated at a good local private school (western/beltei) supplemented by additional tutoring or parental support, fluent in reading and writing khmer with an overseas degree (absolutely not necessary but optimal) and with the outlook and attitude from a developed nation parent would have ttemendous opportunity here in the labor market and would probably be given opportunities they would find hard to come by back home

For full disclosure I have 2 older kids (no kow parent) state educated in Europe and now have 2 small ones here. Older is in CIS, younger will go when of age. May consider another option such as ispp if the need arises. Have the financial means to support that but understand it may mean they seek their futures in another land

Actually there’s a lot of good valid points and truth in these sentences.

Well put :good:
Kingofthesky
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Kingofthesky »

Lonestar wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:36 am It is nearly always better to return to your home country to make money. You can keep your skills sharp, and you can contribute to whatever pension scheme is available.

I work half the year in the U.S. and we are raising two children here. My children go to a private school...which is not very good. However, I supplement their learning with online courses I do with them. I prefer to raise my children here because they are surrounded by a large and loving family, my wife can be a full time mom, they are not learning queer theory transgender nonsense, there are not drugs in their schools, they are not surrounded kids with their jeans below their ass listening to gangsta rap, and many more reasons. The education at schools in the U.S. is not much better. If you quiz American high school, or even college graduates, it is apparent that they have learned nothing except how they are supposed to think.

Definitely some valid points there !

There`s only a few percent parents that will decide to stay in Cambodia , but when you make the jump back with the kids its almost always a permanent thing (except holidays now and then) .... going back half the year making good stack as well as putting some savings away (and investments) makes sense right now....its VERY HARD to save in Cambodia even though we own our own house ....

I saw recently the guy from Cambo vlogs had a kid and BOOM , he`s jetting back to the US ! I guess each to their own ..

However I do see western parents with khmer/barang kids regretting moving back to the west .... also i think over in Cambodia or any lower cost country for that matter kids can have the upper hand in being an entrepreneur or owning their own business when there older (with half decent education), whereas in the west there's so much bloddy hurdles cost and legalities (permits licenses etc) to just even start operating a business , they try to make it super difficult ....

I know half of what my kid knows when I was his age even though i have the SO CALLED better education

just a few thoughts with this cup of coffee 8-)
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

If one plans on limiting the kid to stay in Cambodia forever, then no problem.

However, Cambodian public education puts kids in no shape to compete internationally. Western level education such as ISPP and Northbridge is out of reach of most parents.

University and post graduate degrees in Cambodian schools are not recognized internationally, either.

Missus’ best friends brother wants to be an astronaut at NASA. With a Cambodian education, it will never happen. He is now building robots and other technologies to help Cambodia, instead.

So really, it might come down to choice.

Give the kid an opportunity to go anywhere in the future, or limit the little one to Cambodia.

Just my thoughts with my cup of coffee.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic