ALERT!!! Young US vlogger "almost trafficked" in Siem Reap

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: ALERT!!! Young US vlogger "almost trafficked" in Siem Reap

Post by John Bingham »

Having reviewed the footage and being someone who has dealt with shysters, hucksters and neer-do-wells for decades I believe this is what happened:
1. The tuk-tuk driver saw this enticing young fellow and gave him that finger-twisting-in-fist international symbol for "I want to f@ck you".
2. Unfortunately the handsome young chap did not seem too keen so the impoverished driver offered him some poontang, which utterly disgusted him.
3. The baffled driver finally offered the guy some drugs, but because he had to pay for them he was so annoyed that he made a YouTube video about being trafficked.
4. Everyone got AIDS, the world exploded in a giant fireball of guts and rotting juices and the YouTuber bought a Lamborghini.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I didn’t realize when the tuk tuk was offering me drugs and whores he was actually trying to traffic me. They tried to traffic me a bunch of times when I just moved there, thank heavens I survived.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

A 7 page discussion about a clickbait YouTube video title.
Not sure what's more depressing... the topic of discussion or the fact I've casually read most replies as I've followed said discussion.
Wilber
Tourist
Russia

Post by Wilber »

This guy is worse!

newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I personally find YouTube incredibly useful.

My favorite group, NiziU posts all their stuff there. Missus watches Cambodian Idol, and all the other shows on YouTube.

Without it, the only way to get this content would be either live in Japan or Cambodia.

I’ve had virtual experiences - the 10,000 dollar a day train, cat hotels, onsen, etc., that I would never have the chance.

And new skills and knowledge, like resetting the car maintenance screen.

There is fluff, but there is a lot of good.
It’s all in the eye of the beholder.

My opinions, of course.
sammycooke
Expatriate
Canada

Post by sammycooke »

Gen Z or whatever the fuck they're called. Cry about the planet, wokeness, etc but Greta Thunberg has something like a million followers compared to Kardashians 50 million. Go figure.

**not actual figures but representative of the discrepancy**
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

sammycooke wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:12 am Gen Z or whatever the fuck they're called. Cry about the planet, wokeness, etc but Greta Thunberg has something like 15 million followers compared to Kardashians 341 million. Go figure.

**actual figures**
FTFY
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: ALERT!!! Young US vlogger

Post by phuketrichard »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:31 am I personally find YouTube incredibly useful.

My favorite group, NiziU posts all their stuff there. Missus watches Cambodian Idol, and all the other shows on YouTube.

Without it, the only way to get this content would be either live in Japan or Cambodia.

I’ve had virtual experiences - the 10,000 dollar a day train, cat hotels, onsen, etc., that I would never have the chance.

My opinions, of course.
seeing things, experiencing things thru others eyes, doesn't do much for me

I find much of it boring

BUT than again, i love seeing people out there, ( i am a member of a bicycle long tour group) that have not accepted what society says you must do.
go to college, find a girl, get a job, marry, have 2 kids, save money, grow old...die

their out their living there lives
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Re: ALERT!!! Young US vlogger

Post by siliconlife »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:31 am I personally find YouTube incredibly useful.

My opinions, of course.
It's not that it's not useful. Personally, I like some history channels and I use it to learn languages and listen to music. It's just that it engenders a unique type of self-obsession and allows people to make money off of useless garbage that amounts to nothing more than vanity. It's also harmful for children, there is a lot of really bizarre stuff on there that is quite predatory in the way it targets kids, weird pregnancy videos being one example.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

siliconlife wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:15 pm
violet wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:58 pm This is in The Khmer Times now (haven’t looked back to see if anyone has already mentioned this)

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501217859/ ... 99Hlbg1luU
"It is not clear where Mr Lusby’s accusations of ‘potentially almost trafficked’ came from, but he and his companion managed to make it back safely to their hotel, where he was able to post his video for the benefit of subscribers on his YouTube and Patreon channels.

Mr Lusby says that he has learnt the lesson from his experience and will in future use reputable ride-hailing apps."

lol, pure comedy
Pure publicity. He must be thrilled.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic