What caused Kandal to flood?

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: What caused Kandal to flood?

Post by Kammekor »

Yes, maybe .

I don't know, why I ask if anyone living there knows. Some violent pics:

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

When you look,at the pictures there's even buildings under construction in danger on at least two of the pictures above. So the area must have been considered 'safe'.
But, last week it wasn't. What happened?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

From local media:
Cambodia News (Kandal Province): On the evening of January 16, 2023, a flashflood flowed down from the upper Mekong, arriving into Prek Ksev river in Prek Thei village, Takhmao city, Kandal province, collapsing the riverbanks and 27 houses in the city with the force of the flood water.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

See also: post579336.html#p579336
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Ang Snuol district governor Khon Serey Ratha said the floodwaters had receded and there was no danger. He said that since Kampong Speu decided to open the sluice gate from January 12, water flooded into the canals in the district, this caused flooding in six villages.
That might explain the violence of the water.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

I cycled through Ta Khmau on Sunday and was surprised at how fast the water was flowing, several houses had fallen into the river, but I doubt the rains last week were anything like enough to cause that kind of effect
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:45 am From local media:
Cambodia News (Kandal Province): On the evening of January 16, 2023, a flashflood flowed down from the upper Mekong, arriving into Prek Ksev river in Prek Thei village, Takhmao city, Kandal province, collapsing the riverbanks and 27 houses in the city with the force of the flood water.
The official narrative seems highly unlikely to me. A flashflood from the upper Mekong.... That's a massive storage area there with very little water in it at this time of year.

If it were true, and it came from the upper Mekong, I'd expect Koh Paing, Koh Sotin (Kamponh Cham) and Silk island (Kandal?) to suffer damage as well.

The opening of some gates seems much more likely as a cause to me, releasing a massive amount of water from higher grounds (in Kompong Speu). But then the cause would be the decision of some government official.
Last edited by Kammekor on Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:55 am
Ang Snuol district governor Khon Serey Ratha said the floodwaters had receded and there was no danger. He said that since Kampong Speu decided to open the sluice gate from January 12, water flooded into the canals in the district, this caused flooding in six villages.
That might explain the violence of the water.
I wonder if they will name the official who ordered the sluice gates to be opened?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic