passport question

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
2sevensclash
Expatriate
Great Britain

passport question

Post by 2sevensclash »

I can see that you need 6 months on your passport for an e visa. Does this mean that if you have 6 months and a couple of days when you apply and you then arrive with only 5 months and a couple of weeks left you will be allowed in ?
asking for my niece who is in Bali right now

cheers
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: passport question

Post by Kammekor »

2sevensclash wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:52 pm I can see that you need 6 months on your passport for an e visa. Does this mean that if you have 6 months and a couple of days when you apply and you then arrive with only 5 months and a couple of weeks left you will be allowed in ?
asking for my niece who is in Bali right now

cheers
AFAIK six months left when the visa expires, so for a one month visa seven months of validity are required.
2sevensclash
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by 2sevensclash »

The same question then but with 7 months and a couple of days left on the passport
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

2sevensclash wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:56 pm The same question then but with 7 months and a couple of days left on the passport
You need the required validity left on the day the visa expires, AFAIK. So it all depends on the validity of the visa, when does it start. Date of request is not important.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

If you want to be 100% sure contact user PSD-kiwi. He can tell you the law with 100% certainty.
2sevensclash
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by 2sevensclash »

OK thanks I just found this on the E visa application site, couldn't find it before, you need 6 months left on your passport when you ENTER Cambodia

"Passports should have at least six months before expiry on their arrival in Cambodia".

She has just over 6 months left so no Cambodia for her this time :(
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

2sevensclash wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:04 pm OK thanks I just found this on the E visa application site, couldn't find it before, you need 6 months left on your passport when you ENTER Cambodia

"Passports should have at least six months before expiry on their arrival in Cambodia".

She has just over 6 months left so no Cambodia for her this time :(
I'm afraid a lot of countries in the region are a no go for her in a few days
2sevensclash
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by 2sevensclash »

Yep. She has contacted the British embassy in Bali, she may get a new one but I doubt it. It looks like her Asian travels are over for now, although I can think of worse places to be stuck in than Bali
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Most countries stipulate that you need at least 6 months validity on your passport to enter. So basically everyone should get used to the idea that a ten year passport is actually only useful for travel for less than 9.5 years. Word.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Being picky, I know
for outbound travel for less than 9.5 years
It always surprised me, the number of people who turn up at checkin with expired passports. I had always expected that checking one’s passport prior to travel would be a basic preparation.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic