Daughter of Thailand's exiled former PM Thaksin to seek premiership

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-as ... remiership

Ms Paetongtarn Shinawatra has led opinion polls in recent months on top prime minister candidates. PHOTO: REUTERS

BANGKOK - The daughter of Thailand’s self-exiled former leader Thaksin Shinawatra has declared her readiness to run for prime minister in an election this year, as the main opposition seeks to regain power after being ousted in a coup eight years ago.

Ms Paetongtarn Shinawatra, whose father Thaksin and aunt Yingluck Shinawatra both led governments toppled by the army, will run under the Pheu Thai Party, the latest incarnation of a populist movement founded by her billionaire family two decades ago.

“Yes, I am ready,” she told reporters late on Sunday in north-east Thailand, the rural stronghold of the Shinawatras that delivered them unprecedented majorities in five elections since 2001.

“We want the party to win the election by a landslide so the promises we made to the people can be realised,” she said.

Pheu Thai, which is hugely popular among the rural and urban working classes, won most seats in the last election in 2019 but was unable to form a government.

Administrations loyal to Shinawatras have each been removed by the military or judicial rulings, adding fuel to a seemingly intractable political crisis that has ebbed and flowed in Thailand for over 17 years.

Ms Paetongtarn, 36, has attended party rallies in the past year and has led opinion polls in recent months on top prime minister candidates, far ahead of incumbent Prayuth Chan-ocha, who as army chief overthrew Ms Yingluck’s government.

Both Ms Yingluck and Mr Thaksin are living overseas to avoid jail terms handed down under military rule.

Mr Prayuth has been in charge since 2014, initially as junta leader and then prime minister picked by Parliament after a 2019 election that his critics said was held under rules designed to keep him in power. He insists he earned the role fairly.

Mr Prayuth, 68, joined the new United Thai Nation Party last week, hinting at a bid to remain premier.

He has yet to dissolve Parliament and an election must be held by May. REUTERS
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: Daughter of Thailand's exiled former PM Thaksin to seek premiership

Post by truffledog »

you can think what you want about the Shinawatra Clan but they never give up..

The military junta will never allow her to rule the country. Prayut will find a way to exclude her from election and/or disband the Pheu Thai Party
work is for people who cant find truffles
Kangaruchi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kangaruchi »

Thaksin, is the most corrupt arsehole deserves to be gaoled but fled overseas and fermented problems ever since.
Yingluk wasn't quite the stooge Thaksin thought, but she made some fundamental mistakes, the latest daughter is as far as I can see is just like the father, conning the poor to further the family fortune, a classic example of the Predatory Piranha Class
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Kangaruchi wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:11 am Thaksin, is the most corrupt arsehole deserves to be gaoled but fled overseas and fermented problems ever since.
Yingluk wasn't quite the stooge Thaksin thought, but she made some fundamental mistakes, the latest daughter is as far as I can see is just like the father, conning the poor to further the family fortune, a classic example of the Predatory Piranha Class
I’m new with Thai politics and don’t know anything about Thaksin’s corruption, kindly shed some light about this arsehole’s list of corruption. Thank you.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

yong wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:27 pm
Kangaruchi wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:11 am Thaksin, is the most corrupt arsehole deserves to be gaoled but fled overseas and fermented problems ever since.
I’m new with Thai politics and don’t know anything about Thaksin’s corruption, kindly shed some light about this arsehole’s list of corruption. Thank you.
You should do your homework.
Boredom is like a shroud
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

yong wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:27 pm

It's politics. I fully expect all parties to be deeply corrupt, especially in Thailand where a coup is such a regular occurrence that its hardly even newsworthy

What I remember Thaskin for was

1. Buying a shitty premier league team

2. Being responsible for 3000 extra judicial killings

3. Making me fucking paranoid each time I lit a spliff in Thailand

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opi ... t-humanity
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Thaksin also poured money into poor regions (Isaan, for example) and raised the quality of life for some of Thailand's poorest.
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic