FAMILY man in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: FAMILY man in Cambodia

Post by rogerrabbit »

Random Dude wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:05 am I have friends living abroad and planning to return home, not because they really want to, but because they have kids and they're thinking of their education. One friend has already made the move and he's putting on a brave face but he'd rather not be there.

This thread made me wonder, is correspondence school/home learning through a school back home (wherever your home may be) a viable option for those living abroad?
I know few families who do home schooling while living abroad. Though these families are more of nomad type that they don't stay in one location more than 6 months or so in a way they are forced to do it this way. But what I see and heard from them, the kids seem to be doing fine. Of course this would require quite lot of time from the parents so it's not viable option if both of the parents are working the normal 9-5 every day.

I'm actually a little surprised that none of the forum members' children study this way?
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

It is nearly always better to return to your home country to make money. You can keep your skills sharp, and you can contribute to whatever pension scheme is available.

I work half the year in the U.S. and we are raising two children here. My children go to a private school...which is not very good. However, I supplement their learning with online courses I do with them. I prefer to raise my children here because they are surrounded by a large and loving family, my wife can be a full time mom, they are not learning queer theory transgender nonsense, there are not drugs in their schools, they are not surrounded kids with their jeans below their ass listening to gangsta rap, and many more reasons. The education at schools in the U.S. is not much better. If you quiz American high school, or even college graduates, it is apparent that they have learned nothing except how they are supposed to think.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

experiences of a finnish expat in Italy. Same topic different countries.

https://www.wantedinrome.com/news/finni ... ystem.html
work is for people who cant find truffles
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I moved to the US for the kids education. I’m not concerned with the placement of jeans on the waist and don’t mind rap must, just focused on the quality of the education.

It’s not as simple as move to USA and education is sorted, you’ve got to move to the right area. I narrowed down my choices to towns with the best education systems, which were also the highest taxed but that’s the price you’re saving on private education.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:05 am I moved to the US for the kids education. I’m not concerned with the placement of jeans on the waist and don’t mind rap must, just focused on the quality of the education.

It’s not as simple as move to USA and education is sorted, you’ve got to move to the right area. I narrowed down my choices to towns with the best education systems, which were also the highest taxed but that’s the price you’re saving on private education.
I been thinking about this subject and when I narrowed it down the only place I found that would suit me would be hawaii
I shirley don’t want to ever be cold again or see any snow .
Still wondering what the future will be for my little accident .
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Kingofthesky
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Kingofthesky »

We do have our own property here , as well as two plots of Land , back home 0 ..

Online for the kids might be the way forward , I have a couple of friends here who have done this for several years and seem happy and fine with it ....also a guy i know , his kid learns at the local Wat (but dunno bout that :roll: )

At the moment we go through about $1k a month here .....working 6 months on and off in my home country will average out to about $2.5k per month in total

Cambodia is nowhere near like back in the west , but the west isn't best either (hence why we`re all here ) here you actually have time with the family and immense freedom ....Cambodge has come on leaps and past recent years , so will be interesting to see what its like in the near future ...
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

rogerrabbit wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:27 am
Random Dude wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:05 am I have friends living abroad and planning to return home, not because they really want to, but because they have kids and they're thinking of their education. One friend has already made the move and he's putting on a brave face but he'd rather not be there.

This thread made me wonder, is correspondence school/home learning through a school back home (wherever your home may be) a viable option for those living abroad?
I know few families who do home schooling while living abroad. Though these families are more of nomad type that they don't stay in one location more than 6 months or so in a way they are forced to do it this way. But what I see and heard from them, the kids seem to be doing fine. Of course this would require quite lot of time from the parents so it's not viable option if both of the parents are working the normal 9-5 every day.

I'm actually a little surprised that none of the forum members' children study this way?
My kid goes to a private Cambodian school in the morning and has private class and home schooling in the afternoon.

It does take me some time, in my case an hour a day but I have a background in education. I can imagine it's a bit scary at first if you don't have that background but there are so many good online materials these days you can use (for a fee) I think most people with a decent education can do it.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Alex wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:53 pm Why anyone (Western) in their right mind would send their children to school in Cambodia is beyond me, but maybe I'm missing something? Government schools are shite and private schools are a ripoff.

I don't plan to have children, but if it should happen by accident, I'd ship them off to stay with my sis in my home country once they need schooling. They'll thank me later.
At first sight your reasoning seems correct, but in reality it isn't always the case.
When I compare the skills I had at the age my kid has now.... My kid wins in almost every way. Not talking digital skills here.
My kid manages two scripts, me only one, speaks reads and writes three languages versus only one at that age for me. Kid has extensive experience in two cultures versus experience in only one culture for me. I think I had only been abroad a few times in neighboring countries at that age, my kid manages to guide me through international airports.
I think if parents make an effort decent education can be arranged in Cambodia but you need either private schooling, home schooling, or both. So you need the money, the time, or both. If those aren't available you're right.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:34 am
Alex wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:53 pm Why anyone (Western) in their right mind would send their children to school in Cambodia is beyond me, but maybe I'm missing something? Government schools are shite and private schools are a ripoff.

I don't plan to have children, but if it should happen by accident, I'd ship them off to stay with my sis in my home country once they need schooling. They'll thank me later.
At first sight your reasoning seems correct, but in reality it isn't always the case.
When I compare the skills I had at the age my kid has now.... My kid wins in almost every way. Not talking digital skills here.
My kid manages two scripts, me only one, speaks reads and writes three languages versus only one at that age for me. Kid has extensive experience in two cultures versus experience in only one culture for me. I think I had only been abroad a few times in neighboring countries at that age, my kid manages to guide me through international airports.
I think if parents make an effort decent education can be arranged in Cambodia but you need either private schooling, home schooling, or both. So you need the money, the time, or both. If those aren't available you're right.
Fair enough, if you have the qualifications and time as in your case. I'm more doubtful about the quality of private schools though.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:34 am

And that's the rub; if you want to push the kids out of the house at 7 in the morning and expect the school to do all the hard work, you are going to be disappointed. This applies to schools back in our respective home countries. You get out what you put in.

Schools in the west will, at most, teach kids to pass their exams, go to university and then get a job so they can pay the taxes. Schools' other role in society is also to take them off your hands so you can go to work and pay the taxes too.

I'm so glad my two are all grown up, working hard and paying their taxes so I can get my old age pension and knees replaced in the fullness of time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic