Air Asia and Thai Vietjet cabin baggage

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Air Asia and Thai Vietjet cabin baggage

Post by armchairlawyer »

I'd like to know the airlines' practice at Phnom Penh airport check-in. They both state 7kg maximum weight for cabin baggage. Is this enforced rigorously?

And do they require evidence of a return or onward booking at check-in?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Air Asia and Thai Vietjet cabin baggage

Post by Kammekor »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:38 pm I'd like to know the airlines' practice at Phnom Penh airport check-in. They both state 7kg maximum weight for cabin baggage. Is this enforced rigorously?

Generally they will ask you to put it on and weigh it and tag it, but some staff don't bother.
To Thailand they insist on a return/onward ticket or a flash of a few hundred bucks.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:38 pm I'd like to know the airlines' practice at Phnom Penh airport check-in. They both state 7kg maximum weight for cabin baggage. Is this enforced rigorously?

From my experience, Thai VietJet staff usually ask me to put my carry-on down, to put a tag on it and presumably also to check the weight. Air Asia doesn't.

Whether they ask for an onward ticket seems to be totally inconsistent, with both.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

never been asked to weigh my carry on using AA
AA asked for an onward ticket as i went to get a Visa exempt and used a https://bookonwardticket.com/ ($10)
wife had a visa an she did not need show anything

i usually carry a small bag ( around 8-9 kilos) and a day pack on my back
never been stopped

last trip in Nov was the first time i ever paid extra for luggage as brought back my bicycle 25 kilos ( bike was 14 but added lots of stuff in the box) $45 PP-Phuket
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Airline baggage allowance is a bloody minefield. Especially if travelling along shared routes.

Airline A employs Airline B to connect between SIN and PNH, for the route LGW-DXB-SIN-PNH.
With Airline A, I have 60kg luggage, plus cabin bag and computer. With Airline B, I’m lucky if they’ll let me board with more than boxer shorts and a small toothbrush.

Airline BA codeshares with Airline AA. If it’s operated by BA, I can carry 22kg checked, plus 22KG cabin, plus a 22kg personal item.
If it’s operated by AA, I can carry 25Kg checked, and maybe the aforementioned small toothbrush.

It’s about time that IATA got the industry in a death grip on its gonads, and brought some clarity to the process instead of fucking with passengers’ patience.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:35 pm Airline baggage allowance is a bloody minefield. Especially if travelling along shared routes.

Airline A employs Airline B to connect between SIN and PNH, for the route LGW-DXB-SIN-PNH.
With Airline A, I have 60kg luggage, plus cabin bag and computer. With Airline B, I’m lucky if they’ll let me board with more than boxer shorts and a small toothbrush.

Airline BA codeshares with Airline AA. If it’s operated by BA, I can carry 22kg checked, plus 22KG cabin, plus a 22kg personal item.
If it’s operated by AA, I can carry 25Kg checked, and maybe the aforementioned small toothbrush.

It’s about time that IATA got the industry in a death grip on its gonads, and brought some clarity to the process instead of fucking with passengers’ patience.
I blame Michael O'Leary of Ryanair fame. He started it all and others looked on and said, "how can they get away with that?" As soon as they realised Ryanair were getting away with it, they followed suit. It has got worse every year.

Wait until they figure out how to charge for overall passenger weight - yes, YOU and your luggage - but there are lots of obstacles to overcome.

Americans will sue any airline that tries that (in the U.S.), indeed some already have when they were refused boarding as too fat to fly*. But the ordinary slim public might support it, after all, who wants to be sat next to a 150kg person on a 17" wide seat for 4 hours?

Southwest Airlines is ahead of the game: Its “Customers of Size” policy requires passengers who do not fit between the armrests to purchase another seat.

Samoan Airlines** did it, but that was due to safety as their planes were very small and they have a serious weight problem there.

The weight of its planes’ payload is more than a question of savings. One aircraft Samoa Air flies is the Britten-Norman BN-2 Islander, with room for two pilots and nine passengers. Empty, it weighs 3,675 pounds. Its maximum takeoff weight is just 6,600 pounds.

That means that if everyone on a full flight weighed 270 pounds (including their luggage), the plane could not safely take off. In a region with a severe obesity problem (74.6% of American Samoa is obese; 93.5% is overweight), that limit can easily be reached. So a pricing system that clearly and directly benefits lightweight passengers is reasonable.

European LC carriers might demur on this idea at first, they know the backlash will be significant. However, an Asian airlines could do something along these lines.

Given Asia's acceptance of discrimination on racial grounds, they could be quite comfortable with the idea of giving everyone and basic allowance - for example, 70KG luggage and bodyweight - and they get the basic fare.

Everyone over 70KG pays $X per kilo above that limit. Families and couples could be aggregated so would never pay any excess. They know that Asians would largely be unaffected, but westerners would be screwed, especially solo travelers without a 45kg companion to offset their 90kg frame.

If you bullshit about your weight when booking and they find out, you pay the $X per kilo excess plus $Y per kilo as a penalty. It wouldn't take much to install a scale in front of the check-in desk. Imagine the walk of shame back to the Fat Surcharge Payment desk :facepalm:

If you think they couldn't get away with it, that's what they all said about Ryanair in 1985.

* https://financialpost.com/business-insi ... ir-tickets
** https://www.businessinsider.com/samoa-a ... ght-2013-4
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Back to the OP. I flew on Thai Vietjet yesterday. One way ticket no problem but I was warned I may be charged $500 on arrival at BKK, which of course did not happen.

Weighed and tagged my carry-on. It was only 7kg so no problem, although it was probably slightly over size. I had a laptop rucksack as well which they declined to weigh or tag.

Lovely A320 plane, looked new. Professional Thai cabin crew. Stand (+bus) arrival at BKK, not ideal but I guess that's what low budget gets you at BKK.

That was the first time I flew that airline. I will be doing so again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic