Recommendations for Khmer food

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Recommendations for Khmer food

Post by hanno »

The Missus is coming for a visit tomorrow (yeah!!!!!) and I obviously want her to try authentic Khmer food. I would be grateful for recommendations. Preferably restaurants with not just great food but nice ambiance as well.

Thank you in advance,

Hanno
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: Recommendations for Khmer food

Post by Bongmab69 »

There are to many to make a list, but i try to give you some:
Breakfast and or soup, open from 5 am, corner 13 and 136 in front of 711. Its calls 126 (not 136) !!
If she brings kids and you like buffet-style: Happy Family, used to be on Koh Pich, moved to road nr 6 to Siem REAP, about km over te bridge in front of high ABA-building. There is playground for kids with staff, only anoying thing, they have special service for birthdays, what means you can hear sometimes 10 times "happpy birthday to you", but the food is amazing !!
SOVANNA, on street 21 close to Indep.Monument, always very busy and nice food, havent been there since Covid. Good price/quality rate !!
Reaksmay 18 restaurant, in front of Night Market,on street 108, always very busy but check the bill always because often they charge things you didnt eat, or bring things you didnt order !! ??
Cheap eats: Davids noodle on street 13, very nice family, and they make the noodles fresh on the street in front of you (if missus is barang she will like it). He is around for many years.
If your tastes goes more to chinese dim-sum things: Emperaros dim sum in Eden GARDEN Mall, some chinese bussiness girl took me there, nice place and no barnags, and np barang-price either !!

Enjoy . . .
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Top end experience, Kravanh, st. 174.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Sovanna 2 on 21 is good and not expensive. I'm not sure if the original one is still operating.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I like Amok. Other half is not so keen, though. I’ve no idea where the best place to eat it is, but I enjoy the one at the new corner bar on riverside.
However, other half does a great coconut fishy type curry type dish which is like a loose amok. It’s apparently called fish in coconut water, or something like that. Authentic? Who knows?

Another favourite of mine is Kar (kaw?) Sach Chrouk, which has a Vietnamese equivalent, I believe.
And then there’s Macchu Kroeung.

Home cooked, these are great. I’ve had a nice Macchu Kroeung on St136 or 130 before, but I don’t recall where.

I can’t think of places that offer nice ambience AND good food, though.
I can offer plenty that provide neither.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:43 am I can offer plenty that provide neither.
:bow: :D
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:43 am

Another favourite of mine is Kar (kaw?) Sach Chrouk, which has a Vietnamese equivalent, I believe.

Doe she add chicken breast? If not, ask her to try. ;-)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:05 am
Freightdog wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:43 am

Doe she add chicken breast? If not, ask her to try. ;-)
Both ways. So long as it’s a little bit spicier, I’m happy. I generally like things more spicy than she does.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic