Phnom Penh Hotels Must Register Guests' ID or Passport

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Phnom Penh Hotels Must Register Guests' ID or Passport

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:21 am
Kammekor wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:15 am Nothing new here, it's been an obligation for years, just like stopping for a red light.

Some adhere, some don't care.
If I checked into a hotel that didn't ask for a copy, I would be quite concerned about what else they aren't doing: night time building security, lift maintenance, staff background checks, fire alarm checks etc.
Those always worry me....

When traveling domestic (let's say to Phnom Penh for instance) I never bring my passport unless I make the trip to fly.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

After I got my passport back after getting my ER EOS the place I am staying asked to keep my passport until the end of November, only about four (4) days, because this organization was going around to all the hotels verifying all the guests. Not sure if they wanted my physical passport because I had a 1-year lease or not, but didn’t think it was too big of a deal.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

In the past, I was fairly accustomed to going places where they hold onto passports for the duration of stay. Having been in a couple of situations over the years where guest passports have been locked away, or otherwise unavailable when needed, I still find it uncomfortable.
Fortunately, this arcane practice is being updated with such technological advances as photocopiers, scanners, and the like. In some places…
Last edited by Freightdog on Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Kenr wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:53 am After I got my passport back after getting my ER EOS the place I am staying asked to keep my passport until the end of November, only about four (4) days, because this organization was going around to all the hotels verifying all the guests. Not sure if they wanted my physical passport because I had a 1-year lease or not, but didn’t think it was too big of a deal.
I would never let any accommodation provider KEEP my actual passport for any amount of time. They can take all the photocopies or pictures they need on the spot when I check in, and that's as much as I'll allow them.

This has never been an issue for me in Cambodia, however. In Vietnam, on the other hand, hotels really seemed hell-bent to keep your passport until a few years ago, when the authorities introduced a new online registration system. When I visited Vietnam last year, all the hotels I stayed at handed me back my passport right away without fuss.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Alex wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:33 pm
Kenr wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:53 am After I got my passport back after getting my ER EOS the place I am staying asked to keep my passport until the end of November, only about four (4) days, because this organization was going around to all the hotels verifying all the guests. Not sure if they wanted my physical passport because I had a 1-year lease or not, but didn’t think it was too big of a deal.
I would never let any accommodation provider KEEP my actual passport for any amount of time. They can take all the photocopies or pictures they need on the spot when I check in, and that's as much as I'll allow them.

This has never been an issue for me in Cambodia, however. In Vietnam, on the other hand, hotels really seemed hell-bent to keep your passport until a few years ago, when the authorities introduced a new online registration system. When I visited Vietnam last year, all the hotels I stayed at handed me back my passport right away without fuss.
I agree with you. But I figured no big deal, travel agent had my passport for seven (7) days to get my 1-year extension, a few more days of not having it didn't bother me. This place I'm staying, Season Residence, has a very good manager, so I trust her, to a certain extent of course.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Alex wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:33 pm

When I first started working in hotels in Vietnam in 1995, passports had to be handed over without exception. Every night, staff had to go to the nearest police station and hand over all passports. No passport, no room; as simple as that. It was usually only Americans that were reluctant to hand over their passports, stating "it is government property", "the government advises its citizens to not hand over passports". That all had absolutely no bearing in Vietnam, where Vietnamese law applies.

I did have one Japanese consular staff who absolutely refused to hand over his passport. He gave me a hell of a time but as I would not give him a room, he eventually left, threatening to take this up with the Japanese ambassador. I eventually received a very nice note from the ambassador, apologizing for the behaviour of the staff.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I would be very loathed to hand over my passport for anything other than a copy. But, I am very happy to leave it is a cheap room safe that any self-respecting burglar could get into, instead of the hotel safe. Funny that.

I know a bloke from the UK who met a nice girl in the Philippines. Shortly afterwards she turned into a bad girl and cut his passport into small pieces. He had a choice: Emergency travel document and a flight back to the UK only, or apply for a replacement passport (for lost, stolen or destroyed) and hang out in the Philippines. He chose the latter and it took 16 weeks to arrive.

Whatever you do, don't lose your passport while having a naughty weekend in Pattaya, Manilla etc, because you might end up there a lot longer than planned.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:21 am
Kammekor wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:15 am Nothing new here, it's been an obligation for years, just like stopping for a red light.

Some adhere, some don't care.
If I checked into a hotel that didn't ask for a copy, I would be quite concerned about what else they aren't doing: night time building security, lift maintenance, staff background checks, fire alarm checks etc.
They don't ask for a copy when entering Pontoon. Do you remember that? lol
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic