Proof of no criminal record for my Cambodian wife and other questions

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Proof of no criminal record for my Cambodian wife and other questions

Post by Kammekor »

barangkpooah wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:05 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:55 pm
No need to write your name on the paper. Your embassy should understand. You can check from your embassy first to be sure. It's much easier to talk with your country officials than Cambodians.
I just told my wife this and she said that the Ministry of Justice will ask her why she needs police clearance. If she is going to say that she needs it for long-term visa for some country they will start asking questions about where and with who is she going to live. So, what else should or can she say?

Because after she gets the police clearance (if she gets it in the first place), she will need to fly to New Delhi, India because that's where the nearest embassy of my country is. After she gets there, she will have to notarize it again at Cambodian embassy there, notarize it again at the ministry of foreign affairs in India and then bring it to my country's embassy. That's what my government has told me.
She maybe can have it notarized at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Phnom Penh too as long as she doesn't mention it's for marriage. Many countries accept that now, worth checking with the Min. of Foreign Affairs in your country.
The reason of notarization will not be mentioned on the notarized version.
Last edited by Kammekor on Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:20 pm
barangkpooah wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:05 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:55 pm
No need to write your name on the paper. Your embassy should understand. You can check from your embassy first to be sure. It's much easier to talk with your country officials than Cambodians.
I just told my wife this and she said that the Ministry of Justice will ask her why she needs police clearance. If she is going to say that she needs it for long-term visa for some country they will start asking questions about where and with who is she going to live. So, what else should or can she say?

Because after she gets the police clearance (if she gets it in the first place), she will need to fly to New Delhi, India because that's where the nearest embassy of my country is. After she gets there, she will have to notarize it again at Cambodian embassy there, notarize it again at the ministry of foreign affairs in India and then bring it to my country's embassy. That's what my government has told me.
It's common document what many people get. If they ask something, just tell her to say it's for visa (no need to be specific it's for long term visa). They will not ask more than that. Worse case scenario she pay $5-$10 tea money. That is a last resort if they start to ask questions and she feel uncomfortable, which I doubt. But as I said, many people get it daily and they will not ask much questions. Should be easy to get it.
^ this. Loads of people apply for it every day, must be over a hundred persons.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:22 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:36 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:53 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:37 pm
barangkpooah wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:12 pm If none of this will work, do you think that is possible to legalize a marriage that took place outside of Cambodia with the help of a Cambodian lawyer after the marriage has already happened?
No chance
It's possible. At least still in 2021 was possible. Need to pay tea money. Cost around $2000-$3000.
COVID exception? Please elaborate.
No, not covid exception. Just the normal Khmer way, where you hire agent/lawyer and pay few thousands dollar which he then share with correct officials who then make the needed paperwork. I know three couple who have done this in last 6 years. Latest couple did it in 2021. Personally enquired about this back in 2018 and then the guy quoted $1800 but we didn't go through it.
What do the 'correct officials' provide you with after providing the money? The permission to get married from the Ministry of Interior?
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

barangkpooah wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:12 pm If none of this will work, do you think that is possible to legalize a marriage that took place outside of Cambodia with the help of a Cambodian lawyer after the marriage has already happened?
No chance
It's possible. At least still in 2021 was possible. Need to pay tea money. Cost around $2000-$3000.
What tea are these guys drinking? Pu'er?
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:49 am
rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:22 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:36 pm

No chance
COVID exception? Please elaborate.
No, not covid exception. Just the normal Khmer way, where you hire agent/lawyer and pay few thousands dollar which he then share with correct officials who then make the needed paperwork. I know three couple who have done this in last 6 years. Latest couple did it in 2021. Personally enquired about this back in 2018 and then the guy quoted $1800 but we didn't go through it.
What do the 'correct officials' provide you with after providing the money? The permission to get married from the Ministry of Interior?
No, they register the marriage in Cambodia. So you get all the official paper work that you are married officially in Cambodia also.
barangkpooah
Tourist

Post by barangkpooah »

Is it possible to request police clearance certificate from Ministry of Justice in English if it's for Cambodian person? Otherwise we will also have to translate it. Anyone has first hand experience?

After she gets it, she also has to notarize it at the MFAIC. How does this work? Does she go there and they stamp it immediately or is it another "wait a few days" thing?

Thank you :good:
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Proof of no criminal record for my Cambodian wife and other questions

Post by Freightdog »

barangkpooah wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:53 pm Is it possible to request police clearance certificate from Ministry of Justice in English if it's for Cambodian person? Otherwise we will also have to translate it. Anyone has first hand experience?

After she gets it, she also has to notarize it at the MFAIC. How does this work? Does she go there and they stamp it immediately or is it another "wait a few days" thing?

Yes. to the first part, at least.
My last one was stamped…

This was sufficient for a work visa at the Turkish embassy.

When you visit the ministry, they’ll charge an admin fee $5 to fill the Khmer form in, and provide the details for the English translation.

READ THE FORM CAREFULLY once they’ve done so. The slightest handwriting idiosyncrasy can render the final cert useless. Their enthusiasm is surpassed by their eagerness to process you out of the way.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

barangkpooah wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:53 pm Is it possible to request police clearance certificate from Ministry of Justice in English if it's for Cambodian person? Otherwise we will also have to translate it. Anyone has first hand experience?

It doesn't matter. Even in English it has to be legalized/notarized. Every document from Cambodia you want to use in the West has to go this way because the local authorities in your country want to make sure it's a real legal document. The ministry of foreign affairs can give this assurance. Some countries require an extra check at the nearest (to Cambodia) embassy to check the Cambodian legalization as an extra step. This depends on the treaties your country has with Cambodia. Check this with the ministry of foreign affairs in your country or your embassy involved with Cambodia.
Don't worry about the translation. The ministry of foreign affairs in Cambodia won't translate the documents, they will use a pre translated document/format and just fill in some data (name, date of birth, etc etc).
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:24 pm

Yes. to the first part, at least.
My last one was stamped…

This was sufficient for a work visa at the Turkish embassy.

When you visit the ministry, they’ll charge an admin fee $5 to fill the Khmer form in, and provide the details for the English translation.

READ THE FORM CAREFULLY once they’ve done so. The slightest handwriting idiosyncrasy can render the final cert useless. Their enthusiasm is surpassed by their eagerness to process you out of the way.
^This

Because they fill in data into a pre set format sometimes they forget to change one data field and the data of the person who came before you is still there. Check all the personal details and all dates in the document the MFAIC gives you and return it if there's an error.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic