Hoe Hits a Seed

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Rama
Expatriate

Hoe Hits a Seed

Post by Rama »

http://kohsantepheapdaily.com.kh/article/114343.html

Whilst Preparing Soil for Potatoes Mine Explodes Killing Husband and Injuring Wife

Friday 6th February 2015

Kampong Cham Province: There was a thunderous sound of a mine exploding and the rumbling of the earth in a plantation in the village of T’Mour Tadouk, Joam Kraveing commune, Memot district at 6:30 in the morning of the 5th of February 2015 which caused the death of a man called Jan El, 33, whose intestines burst out of his stomach and whose wife was wounded badly enough to have to be rushed to the local health centre.

Major Ping Anghak, chief of police for Memot district told (us) that in the dry season the husband and wife (like all other farmers) went together to clear the grass on their plantation with a hoe and prepare the soil for the planting of crops. The chief of police continued: the husband and wife had just gone with their hoes and started to till the soil when the husband struck a mine that was hidden in the soil which made the mine explode which burst his intestines out, and caused him to fall and die in the most lamentable way. As for his wife, Art Sopha, 24 years old, who was tilling the soil far from her husband, she was struck by a fragment and was lightly wounded and she had to be helped by neighbours to be taken to assistance.

Major Hak Pirrum, deputy of police for Memot district, reported that the police post of Joam Kraveing commune were unable to identify the type of mine that exploded as it was pulverized when it went off and it was so loud it startled the people in their plantations nearby.
The place of the explosion is a potato plantation and the mine was left over from the war period.

This husband and wife who worked their plantation had never before had such a terrible incident as this, however this day a mine turned (their life) into a terrifying tragedy.

----
គ្រាប់ - kroap
1 noun - grain, pit, seed; pill, tablet; bullet, projectile, bomb
2 classifier - for small round objects such as seeds, pills, bullets
Last edited by Rama on Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: Hoe Hits a Seed

Post by Soi Dog »

That looks like quite a tough piece of land to farm.

Very sad news.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Even though civil war ended, but mine still kill people :(
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Very sad story, hope it was quick
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

StroppyChops wrote:Very sad story, hope it was quick
You have been watching too many movies . Explosions do not go off in slow motion.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Damn. Sad news.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic