Nate Thayer RIP

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Nate Thayer RIP

Post by John Bingham »

Nate Thayer, the last person to interview Pol Pot, died last night at the age of 62.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Nate Thayer RIP

Post by phuketrichard »

dam, he had an amazing run<
his last twitter post was August 30th posted form his hospital bed
Here r the rules: No Nazis allowed. Never count on cops to do the right thing. We take care of our own. God Bless those who set their own rules in life. Never, ever forget Nazis are all that is bad in life & Lamont is a poster boy of all that is good
His last story
https://natethayer.substack.com/p/why-i ... ti-fascist

post on august 24th

One of my oldest friends & comrade, photographer Tim Page, has died in Bellingen, NSW, Australia. The world is much better b/c he squeezed every ounce from life here on earth. Today, someone waited w/ open arms to say 'Welcome home to the strawberry fields. You did good, Tim'
RIP
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

He was posting much more recently than that on other places, his last one I saw was December 26th. He had a lot of health issues over the past year or so, and although he seemed to recover from that bout in hospital he was in a car crash more recently. Still young but an amazing life.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

Rest in peace. I pray his other half Lamont will be well taken care of.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Nate Thayer
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nate Thayer (April 21, 1960 – January 3, 2023) was an American freelance journalist, whose work focused on international organized crime, narcotics trafficking, human rights, and areas of military conflict. Most notable for having interviewed Pol Pot, in his capacity as Cambodia correspondent for the Far Eastern Economic Review. Thayer wrote for Jane's Defence Weekly, Soldier of Fortune, Associated Press and for more than 40 other publications, including The Cambodia Daily and The Phnom Penh Post.

Career
Thayer began his career in Southeast Asia on the Thai-Cambodian border, taking part in an academic research project in which he interviewed 50 Cham survivors of Khmer Rouge atrocities at Nong Samet Refugee Camp in 1984.[7][8] He then returned to Massachusetts where he worked briefly as the Transportation Director for the state Office of Handicapped Affairs.[9][10] Thayer himself noted, "I got fired. I was a really bad bureaucrat."[11]

Thayer later worked for Soldier of Fortune magazine[12] reporting on guerrilla combat in Burma,[11] and in 1989 he began reporting for the Associated Press from the Thai-Cambodian border.[13] In October 1989, Thayer was nearly killed when an anti-tank mine exploded under a truck he was riding in.[14] In 1991 he moved to Cambodia where he began writing for the Far Eastern Economic Review.[15][16]

In August 1992 Thayer traveled to Mondulkiri Province and visited the last of the FULRO Montagnard guerrillas who had remained loyal to their former American commanders.[17] Thayer informed the group that FULRO's president Y Bham Enuol had been executed by the Khmer Rouge seventeen years previously.[18] The FULRO troops surrendered their weapons in October 1992; many of this group were given asylum in the United States.[19][20]

In April 1994 Thayer participated in (and funded) the Cambodian Kouprey Research Project, a $30,000, two-week, 150 km field survey to find the rare Cambodian bovine known as the kouprey.[21] Thayer later wrote: "After compiling a team of expert jungle trackers, scientists, security troops, elephant mahouts and one of the most motley and ridiculous looking groups of armed journalists in recent memory, we marched cluelessly into Khmer Rouge-controlled jungles along the old Ho Chi Minh trail."[22]

On July 3, 1994 Thayer was asked to help negotiate Prince Norodom Chakrapong's release and safe passage to the airport after the prince had been accused by Prime Minister Norodom Ranariddh of plotting a coup d'état.[23][24] Thayer was subsequently expelled from Cambodia by Prince Ranariddh, but he returned anyway.[25]

More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nate_Thayer
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

So it was possibly up to a week or so between dying and being found. I actually do hope Lamont is ok.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

violet wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:00 am So it was possibly up to a week or so between dying and being found. I actually do hope Lamont is ok.
Your concern has been duly noted.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Wild life.

Still a bit young to die though

R.I.P
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

violet wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:00 am So it was possibly up to a week or so between dying and being found. I actually do hope Lamont is ok.
Thayer was found dead at his Falmouth, Massachusetts home on Tuesday by a friend, his brother, Rob Thayer, said Thursday. He was 62.

He had been suffering with multiple ailments for several months, and the cause of death was listed as natural causes, Rob Thayer said, adding that he had last spent time with his brother on Sunday.
https://apnews.com/article/politics-cam ... ce=Twitter
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic