Thailand ranks 30th in worlds cuisine WTF??

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Thailand ranks 30th in worlds cuisine WTF??

Post by phuketrichard »

love to see the metrics they used that ranked; Croatia, Iran, Philippines (right down there with Cambodian ( didn't make the top 95) in my book) the uk etc etc ahead of Thailand :stir:

https://www.tasteatlas.com/best/cuisines
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Thailand ranks 30th in worlds cuisine WTF??

Post by Freightdog »

USofA at number 8 might be a clue.

Reminds me of the tale of two British holiday makers tasting Moussaka in Greece for the first time, comparing it to the supermarket version that ‘mum’ cooks at home, and preferring the latter.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

It would be interesting to know if these countries were rated on their national cuisine or on the available variety of food. E,g, The UK national food is hardly competitive with Thai, but the profusion of different restaurants and types of food for example in London would definitively beat Thailand hands down.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Not everyone thinks Thailand is the most wonderful place in the world. What's so good about the food anyway?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:31 pm Image

love to see the metrics they used that ranked; Croatia, Iran, Philippines (right down there with Cambodian ( didn't make the top 95) in my book) the uk etc etc ahead of Thailand :stir:

It's audience voted

That said, apart from the USA making the top ten it's not such an abomination of a list

If #8 (USA) & #40 (Lebanon) swapped places it would be grand
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

My first thought was that can't be right, everyone I know loves Thai food, there are Thai restaurants everywhere you go, that must mean something.

I googled the website and according to wikipedia ....

Reportedly, the company does not intend to compete with the likes of Michelin guide or Tripadvisor,[6] as it sees its niche between haute cuisine recommendations of the former and popular tourist places of the latter,[12] none of which focus on traditional dishes.[5] The site uses reviews and recommendations from gastronomy professionals and critics reviews instead of user-generated content, citing trustworthiness as the main reason.[13] It is a recommended curriculum resource in several education systems, such as in Ireland[14] and Kansas[15]

So to me that suggests food snobs made the list, as opposed to uneducated munters like me. Sort of like when you read a movie review from some pretentious film critic who studied drama, art etc. They usually rave about weird shit almost nobody even understands let alone likes, meanwhile, the latest diehard flick is killing it in the box office.

I bet if the average bloke on the street was asked Thai food would be in the top 10 at least.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:12 pm Not everyone thinks Thailand is the most wonderful place in the world. What's so good about the food anyway?
It’s not about whether Thailand is the most wonderful place, though. Thai food raking low or lower against a number of other offerings is the point (as I read it, anyway.)

Thai soups, curries, fish, style of cooking, are all winners. High on my personal, subjective list. Not necessarily better than Greek- that would be comparing Bramley apples with Seville oranges. The UK is long established as a bit lacking in national offerings- not entirely fairly, maybe. But places like the UK and US have a huge multicultural influence with a cross section of cuisine from every corner of the cornerless globe.

I’d hazard a guess the sampled opinions are skewed by the kind of folk who have little or no idea that Pizza comes from Italy, curry is not a UK dish and ranges from Persia to the Far East, French influence in cuisine is worldwide with a similar colonial history to Britain, Spain and The Netherlands, and who may well opt for burger and fries out of a lack of imagination or curiosity (my brother is rather like that).
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

If you check the list it is about commodities rather than cuisine English cuisine best rated food is Worcestershire Sauce, Thai is Sriracha, French is Mont D'or cheese,Greek is Kalamata olive oil, :D etc

Last edited by Kuroneko on Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kuroneko wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:39 pm If you check the list it is about commodities rather than cuisine English cuisine best rated food is Worcestershire Sauce, Thai is Sriracha, French is Mont D'or cheese,Greek is Kalamata olive oil, :D etc
The UK also offers triple cooked crisps- none of that foreign muck. What more does one need with a pint?
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:45 pm
Kuroneko wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:39 pm If you check the list it is about commodities rather than cuisine English cuisine best rated food is Worcestershire Sauce, Thai is Sriracha, French is Mont D'or cheese,Greek is Kalamata olive oil, :D etc
The UK also offers triple cooked crisps- none of that foreign muck. What more does one need with a pint?
Chips are on the list. The full English list is:

English Cuisine
Best rated foods
Worcestershire Sauce, Cornish Clotted Cream, Cheddar, Triple-Cooked Chips, Sticky Toffee Pudding and 400 more
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic