Thai lawmakers still crushing hopes of small brewers

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Thai lawmakers still crushing hopes of small brewers

Post by ExPenhMan »

There is a really good article in the Bangkok Post today on how the government remains relentless in blocking the hopes of Thai micro-brewers and the history of same through multiple governments. In short, it comes as no surprise that the two brewing families still hold their grip on lawmaking power.

Which brings me to ask about Chiang Mai City brewing company set up in Phnom Penh. It was first set up in Lao then moved to Cambodia. Interesting story of how three Thai friends learned brewing in the US and put all their savings into starting this. Anyone tried its beers?

This article comes just at the same time as I hit a peak of dismay over the utter crap beer that's produced by the uber-rich Thai oligarchies. A few months back I think it was Chang released a beer with espresso. Yes, it was worse than it sounds. I bought one and poured 95% down the drain. I mostly drink Asahi and Tiger.

A craft beer bottle shop opened up a few months ago in the W District Night Market, Bangkok. No doubt the products were brewed outside Thailand and have to pay enormous tariffs and shipping costs. Which means grossly expensive cans of beer, running into crazy prices such as 180 baht/US$5 and more for a 500 ml can. The place is empty 9/10 times I have walked by in the early evening.

Note, the newspaper makes it almost impossible to copy and paste text. Also, the newspaper's headline is truly awful.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... niche-beer

Here is their story from the Beer Chiang Mai web site:

https://beerchiangmai.com/how-did-chian ... eer-begin/