Laptop purchase

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Laptop purchase

Post by Pizzalover »

I am about to purchase a new laptop. Nothing fancy. 600-700 USD, 14 inch, Asus or Acer.

Since Acer is produced in Thailand, I was wondering whether it would be cheaper to buy there or here? The main difference might be the tax rate. Does anyone have some experience with local purchase in PP as compared to, say IT city, in Bangkok? I am not a gamer. Mostly text processing, watching movies, and some database stuff. I am using external harddrives therefore the virtual harddrives are fine.

Thanks for any input.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Laptop purchase

Post by Matty9999 »

Pizzalover wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:07 pm I am about to purchase a new laptop. Nothing fancy. 600-700 USD, 14 inch, Asus or Acer.

Since Acer is produced in Thailand, I was wondering whether it would be cheaper to buy there or here? The main difference might be the tax rate. Does anyone have some experience with local purchase in PP as compared to, say IT city, in Bangkok? I am not a gamer. Mostly text processing, watching movies, and some database stuff. I am using external harddrives therefore the virtual harddrives are fine.

Thanks for any input.
Yes I bought a laptop from Golden Computer if im not mistaken, thats the name of the place, they sell reasonably priced asus and acer laptops. There is another place i think its called Gold one computer, both in Phnom Penh. They both have good reputations. If im not mistaken gold one, sells mostly second hand laptops. The one i bought still works fine to this day, ive had it for 2 years. A blue Acer Swift 3.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Gold One is a registered MSI dealer and i got mine just over a year ago from them. I have previously purchased a HP laser and a 1Tb external SSD from them too. No problems with anything bought new. The laptop has been particularly good to be quite honest.
Highly recommended for new gear.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

To add

The laptop was booted up while i was there and i was asked what i wanted pre installing to which i replied nothing. So i got the laptop with just the OS installed which was perfect.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:38 pm To add

The laptop was booted up while i was there and i was asked what i wanted pre installing to which i replied nothing. So i got the laptop with just the OS installed which was perfect.
Nice. I got mine with the usual fake/bootlegged apps from MSFT, in fact they all work great lol, but mine now has a logo "activate windows" it still works though
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic