What car to buy for driving in PP?

Have a car, truck, motorcycle, or bicycle you'd like to sell? List it here for free. Heck, you can even buy and sell tuktuks or your pink Scoopy here. Remember, you need a driver's license in Cambodia for cars, trucks, and any motorbike that's over 125cc. And always wear a helmet!
UKJ
Expatriate

What car to buy for driving in PP?

Post by UKJ »

I live in a cold wet country, so you need a decent car, to make sure it starts in the winter. What about Cambodia though? How much would you need to spend to get a reliable runabout? And what make and models? Not a Tico though! Is it mainly auto gearboxes there?
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: What car to buy for driving in PP?

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

UKJ wrote:I live in a cold wet country, so you need a decent car, to make sure it starts in the winter. What about Cambodia though? How much would you need to spend to get a reliable runabout? And what make and models? Not a Tico though! Is it mainly auto gearboxes there?
Something fairly small would be fine like a Toyota Corolla. There are lots of them here. I've got a 4runner which I appreciate during rainy season but it's expensive to run.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I kid you not, I LOVED my Tico in Phnom Penh. It had a very special feature no other car in Cambodia has... Range Rovers are terrified of it. They instantly assume whoever in it has zero money, so if there's an accident they'll get nothing out of them, and stay well clear of it. It also fit anywhere a tutuk did, so was good for getting around. One in snooky with a manual gearbox at the garage just past CT clinic (when leaving town) for $600 asking.

However, if you're dead set against one, a Visto is a nice car about the same size. Pretty prevalent in the country with prices ranging around $3 it seems.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Yeah I've never owned any car in Cambodia (though I've driven some), but if I were to buy one, it would probably be a Visto. Or maybe a Prius if I had lots of countryside driving to do. I can't remember the model, but Scion also make a really nice compact urban car. Not sure about the price range of those though.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

If you're just in PP, a small car is your best friend. It's easy to park and you can beat traffic jams by taking the narrow lanes. However, chassis is very low and no good with potholes.
My Visto (Kia) cost me slightly more than $5,000, bought it in late 2012.
I have a bigger SUV for those trips beyond Phnom Penh.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

Thanks guys.
Are the second hand older Vistas mainly autos?
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

I believe so. Most cars that make their way in Cambodia are auto.
There can be the odd one with manual shift but not much choice then.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I recommend a surplus Abrams tank, Bradley fighting vehicle or if you want wheels not tracks a Striker fighting vehicle. I stopped driving from Snooky to PP after almost being killed a few time on hwy #4 (Death Highway From Hell.) by drunk/drug-crazed container truck drivers. I picked up a friend in PP that had just flown in from the US and he was amazed I would drive in PP.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

in all seriousness
get a Toyota Rav 4
or a honda crv;

they have good ground clearance, higher up so better visibility, good on mileage, many many of them so easy to repair

you can get a good 96-99 for $5-9,000
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic