FOR SALE: Khmer440.com [SOLD!]

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: FOR SALE: Khmer440.com

Post by StroppyChops »

SockPuppet wrote:they are selling the forum - not shutting it. businesses change owners all the time. why would you be sad?
Saddened to see KiR give it up after all the bluff and bluster recently. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to lose sleep on it.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

Well, if the management is completely changed, who knows what the new owner could turn K440 into?
A sappy, bland, boring PC NGO Love fest, maybe.

You see Cambodian facebook pages being "purchased" and the change of tone is noticeable.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Bring Back Buck
Expatriate

Post by Bring Back Buck »

General Mackevili wrote:
SockPuppet wrote:I doubt CEO lessens anything right now -

Of course. Total coincidence. :facepalm:
Not a coincidence of course, but this is more of an indication of the effect of CEO on KiR's state of mind which in turn is affecting k440. Quoting the great man, KiR has been a total cock trumpet and twat flannel for a long time until now, but his mental state has been in greater decay than his "toothache" which got the CEO train rolling.

CEO has pinched a few posters for the time being, but in terms of K440's traffic stealing 100 users is a drop in the bucket. CEO has great potential and only time will tell how it succeeds, K440 has a track record and 10 years of existence to back it up - two very different animals.

12 months from now you can stand tall and glow with pride with what you have built here at CEO, to do so now is pure hubris.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Bring Back Buck wrote:
12 months from now you can stand tall and glow with pride with what you have built here at CEO, to do so now is pure hubris.
Agreed. All we have EVER claimed is that CEO is off to a great start!!

I guess I should move this back into the General Chatter. I wasn't sure if this would be widely discussed, but I guess it seems discussion worthy after all.

For the record, I've been hunting down any interesting businesses for sale to post on CEO, but since this one might be a hot topic to discuss, I'll move it to General Chatter.

And for the record, I wish him luck on the sale! It's definitely the biggest expat site in Cambodia at the moment!!! Kudos!! :hattip:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Bring Back Buck wrote:in terms of K440's traffic stealing 100 users is a drop in the bucket.
while i agree with your post nearly fully, here i disagree in part. were it stealing viewers, you'd be absolutely correct. but people making posts are content generators... and of those they never really had more than a couple of hundred at a time heavily active in the 2 years i'd been posting there. as such, if you "steal" a significant percent of those the new content starts to become thin... when that happens your SEO drops (yeah, google looks at that now) and you get less traffic on your old content. regular readers (only) stop checking in as often, etc.

content is key... it has to stay fresh and moving. if your content source starts to fall away, so does the rest.

we've managed to get a number of those posters here (as well as others) sharing their views and comments as well, which is great. but only, as you said, time will tell if we are able to retain them. the key will be reaching a sort of critical mass where even as a few drop out now and they a steady stream of new blood is replacing them. something k440 lacked in my opinion because of the treatment of new posters who weren't 'part of the club' frequently chasing them off before they had a chance to really find their groove with the site.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

^ nicely worded OD. "Stealing" is deliberately emotive.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

I thought Cambodia wasn't prone to earthquakes and tsunamis ?
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

OrangeDragon wrote:content is key... it has to stay fresh and moving. if your content source starts to fall away, so does the rest.
Especially in a country like Cambodia, where things are changing rapidly, and the exchange of information and knowledge between Expats has a somewhat significant impact on their survival.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Last edited by Soi Dog on Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

:plus1:
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic