Many mosquitoes are now insecticide-resistant in Vietnam and Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Many mosquitoes are now insecticide-resistant in Vietnam and Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Mosquitoes that are extremely resistant to insecticides have been discovered in Cambodia and Vietnam, raising concerns about the implications for controlling infectious diseases.

Aedes aegypti mosquitoes are major carriers of yellow fever, dengue fever and the Zika virus. The insects are found widely in tropical and subtropical regions of the world and their population numbers are largely controlled using insecticides.

Many of these belong to a class of chemicals called pyrethroids, which target the insects’ nervous systems, causing paralysis and death.

Pyrethroid resistance is a widely acknowledged issue when trying to control mosquito populations, but it is unclear how big a problem it actually is.

Shinji Kasai at the National Institute of Infectious Diseases in Tokyo and his colleagues sampled 23 populations of mosquitoes from Ghana, Taiwan, Vietnam and Indonesia.

The team sprayed mosquitoes in each population with a large dose of permethrin, a commonly used pyrethroid insecticide, that should in theory kill 99 per cent of the insects.....

Full article:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/23 ... -cambodia/
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Many mosquitoes are now insecticide-resistant in Vietnam and Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Has anyone on here ever contracted Malaria in Cambodia? Many friends have gotten Dengue and even Chikungunya (sp) but only one I remember got Malaria, and he hadn't been in the provinces for over a year. I'm not denying it's a big problem, just interested.

I've never had any of these myself.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:08 pm Has anyone on here ever contracted Malaria in Cambodia? Many friends have gotten Dengue and even Chikungunya (sp) but only one I remember got Malaria, and he hadn't been in the provinces for over a year. I'm not denying it's a big problem, just interested.

I had malaria but contracted it near the Thai border in a forested area, nasty illness

Have suspected dengue a few times but only ever had it confirmed once
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:08 pm Has anyone on here ever contracted Malaria in Cambodia? Many friends have gotten Dengue and even Chikungunya (sp) but only one I remember got Malaria, and he hadn't been in the provinces for over a year. I'm not denying it's a big problem, just interested.

I’ve been curious about this, too, as I’ve not heard any reports of Malaria. I worked a brief gig in West Africa at the beginning of the year, and every week someone in the team was being diagnosed and treated for Malaria.

2 of the kids have had Dengue confirmed, here. Working in SE Asia before, companies would be concerned about Malaria, but I only ever heard of Chikungunya and later, Dengue cases among colleagues.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:20 am

I’ve been curious about this, too, as I’ve not heard any reports of Malaria. I worked a brief gig in West Africa at the beginning of the year, and every week someone in the team was being diagnosed and treated for Malaria.

2 of the kids have had Dengue confirmed, here. Working in SE Asia before, companies would be concerned about Malaria, but I only ever heard of Chikungunya and later, Dengue cases among colleagues.
Malaria is virtually non existant in any city or large town in Cambodia. Most cases are in more forested rural areas with a particularly nasty drug resistant strain on the western and North western Thai borders
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

I have gotta say I have noticed when I spray the bedrooms at night because we get a lot of mossies living next to river i guess, when I go back into the room I can see the same mosquitos in the same spot it seems the spray has little or no effect on them . Even when I spray them direct hit they fly off . I remember years ago they would drop to the floor on the spot, I've tried three or four typical supermarket brands. Having had both Malaria and Dengue its not something I take lightly for the kid and lady living here with me and the old burning coils do zero just stink the place up.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Kampong Speu at high risk of malaria
Chea Sokny | Publication date 28 December 2022 | 21:29 ICT

The people of Kampong Speu province are at increased risk of contracting malaria, say provincial authorities. They are not following the recommendations of medical professionals, using their prescribed medication irregularly or stopping taking it entirely.

Long Bonareth, deputy governor of Kampong Speu province, said that thanks to the cooperation of health officials, local authorities and volunteers, malaria had almost been eradicated from the province in the past, but these efforts were now likely to be undone by the irresponsible actions of some members of the community.

“We are unlikely to completely eradicate malaria cases because some people have given up treatment. Some of the people who have had the disease relapse, because they do not follow the instructions of their doctor,” she added.

“Many people live and work in the forest, or collect non-timber forest products there, and the life cycle of mosquitoes revives whenever the rainy season arrives,” she continued.

She said many resources had been used to try to solve the problem of malaria, and it would be a shame to see the good work done by health officials, volunteers and local authorities be undone.

Hok Kry, director of the Kampong Speu provincial Health Department, said malaria was still a concern for the province as was unlikely to be eradicated. He agreed with Bonareth’s assessment, saying that many of the people who entered the forest were failing to follow doctor’s instructions.

“Many of the residents of the most remote villages still have the habit of going into the forest to find non-timber forest products to sell. They stay in the forest for a long time, but do not follow the instructions of the village’s volunteer doctors. They often sleep without a mosquito net or fail to take the anti-malarial medicine they are given. This makes them more vulnerable to malaria,” he added.

He said that in some cases, they did not seek treatment after becoming infected, which could lead to the disease recurring and even endanger their lives.

“In addition, there is a new strain appearing near the border with Pursat province. Known as malariae, it is not possible to diagnose with rapid tests. This makes preventative measures even more important, as we cannot begin to treat it until we can diagnose it,” he added.

According to the Kampong Speu Health Department, in 2022, there were 808 cases of malaria in the province. Four were reported as malariae, the first instances of the strain in the province. The six health centres with the highest number of malaria cases were Oral, Trapeang Cho, Chambok, Tang Samrong, Omlaing and Monorongroeung.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... sk-malaria
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic