I am back!!!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: I am back!!!

Post by Cooldude »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:13 pm The only problem I had with the staff there is they would be massaging the same older sweaty heavyset gentleman every time. Didn’t help my appetite much and there was always a couple of them hovering around him instead of looking after other customers.
This!! He used to take up a few seats either outside or at the bar inside. I was sitting at the bar one night which was closest to the windows. I'd ordered my steak and was halfway through it when that gentleman walked in with his entourage. There were three free bar stools to my left but he decided to sit next to me. Next thing I know, they turn the fans and air conditioner on high and aim them directly at us. That alone almost froze me out of my seat. Then, one of the staff runs her shoulder into my back while I'm eating. I ignored that and she did it again. The girl wanted me to get out of my seat so she could sit next to the overweight guy.
I mentioned this to one of Larry's managers and he told me, "Never get between a girl and her lady drink. "
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

Regards Larry's, If I was a couple of years ago I would guess that the large gentleman buying lady drinks was Brett S (RIP). He spent more money in a 2 hour visit than regulars did in a month.

I have always found the food there very good and Larry is an excellent host.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

LaudJohn wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:23 pm Regards Larry's, If I was a couple of years ago I would guess that the large gentleman buying lady drinks was Brett S (RIP). He spent more money in a 2 hour visit than regulars did in a month.

I have always found the food there very good and Larry is an excellent host.
Brett got that treatment wherever he went. He was very well known around town for being very generous.
When he died a whole lot of waitresses around town despaired because nobody was rolling up anytime soon to take his place.
In regards to Larry's the staff have always been fine with me, although I'm not regular enough to get instant recognition. Like anywhere they appreciate regulars. I always tip them, but never on Sciaroni levels.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Cooldude wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:50 pm one of Larry's managers and he told me, "Never get between a girl and her lady drink. "
and hence the perennial question as to whether Larry's should be classified as a girly bar or not.
verdebandit
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by verdebandit »

It's definitely a girly bar just slightly less honest about it. They are at least less pushy about it and probably lower priced with the availability of takeout slightly less available than the average girly bar. But they are still definitely a girly bar with a lot of the same girly bar problems with and between the staff. Also they have a bell that you can ring which to me cements that they are indeed a girly bar. Many of the staff also 'graduated' in one way or another from the more classic hostess bars.

Larry is a friend (to customers) owner though that cares about his food and mostly about the customer experience. He is also there pretty much every day. I do wish the portions were a bit smaller so the prices were too. Almost everything is too much food to finish and not quite worth taking home.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

verdebandit wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:28 am I do wish the portions were a bit smaller so the prices were too. Almost everything is too much food to finish and not quite worth taking home.
Certainly agree, the portion was humongous. I hadn't eaten breakfast or lunch that day, so I managed to finish it, but it was close.
verdebandit
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by verdebandit »

No breakfast or lunch is about what it would take for me to finish a meal there too.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

After having had a beer at Harry's a couple of times, I finally ate there last night. Foodwise, I would make pretty much the same comments I did about the food at Larry's: decent food but not spectacular, portions are huge, and, just like Schnitzel, Cordon Bleu does NOT come with gravy in the civilized world.

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Cordon bleu & French fires without gravy is tasteless
same goes for Pot pies
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:44 am Cordon bleu & French fires without gravy is tasteless
same goes for Pot pies
It is tasteless if you use not so good cheese and ham. A nice Gruyere or Emmental cheese and honey ham. It should also be served with a nice salad on the side and a slice of lemon. I like my sauces and gravies, but not everything needs to swim in them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic