Guy accidentally pays tuk tuk driver $11,000

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Guy accidentally pays tuk tuk driver $11,000

Post by Albror »

Keeping 11k in your withdrawal account that you do not intent to use should not be a mistake someone who have 11k should be able to do.

Always store money in a safe account and transfer to the withdrawal account when you need it first.
chriz_PP
Expatriate
China

Re: Man makes $11,000 tuk tuk error

Post by chriz_PP »

that's not too difficult with aba app as (depending on if the barcode is riel or dollar) it's easy to confuse, especially if you don't care if it's a small amount (turned out it isn't).

I thought they may request code confirmation via sms for that high transactions, good to know.

happened to me before as well, just good that I didn't have so much on my account so it went error.

if insisting on aba app payment, it's more convenient and safeer via passap ultimately as it's connected to aba and directly deduct the money, just give a quick 1000 riel to driver as trip
Rockman Lover
Expatriate

Post by Rockman Lover »

Does anyone here pay tuk tuk drivers for a $2-$3 rides by ABA app?
chriz_PP
Expatriate
China

Post by chriz_PP »

Rockman Lover wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:51 pm Does anyone here pay tuk tuk drivers for a $2-$3 rides by ABA app?
yes
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

chriz_PP wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:20 pm
Rockman Lover wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:51 pm Does anyone here pay tuk tuk drivers for a $2-$3 rides by ABA app?
yes
It’s a decent development, IMHO.
Many TukTuks would seem to start the day with no small change, and you have the inevitable run around trying to break 20000r for a 6300r ride.
So the app is convenient. I guess for TukTuk drivers, there’s less chance of being robbed of much cash.
Rockman Lover
Expatriate

Post by Rockman Lover »

I didn't know usage for small person to person transactions was so widespread in Cambodia.

I was just in Mogadishu a few months ago and apparently everything is done digitally there, no one uses cash.
chriz_PP
Expatriate
China

Post by chriz_PP »

Rockman Lover wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:33 am I didn't know usage for small person to person transactions was so widespread in Cambodia.

I was just in Mogadishu a few months ago and apparently everything is done digitally there, no one uses cash.
probably mostly Phnom Penh only
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

I have never had to deal with such a huge difference in exchange rates before. A great reason to be using cash if you are constantly using both currencies.
mi1
Expatriate
Belarus

Re: Man makes $11,000 tuk tuk error

Post by mi1 »

chriz_PP wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:30 pm
I thought they may request code confirmation via sms for that high transactions, good to know.
With ABA u can transfer 100k at once with just your PIN, no additional verification.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic