Removing paywalls

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Removing paywalls

Post by IraHayes »

There is a Chrome extension that I came across on Github that is super easy to install and appears to work pretty flawlessly.

https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Removing paywalls

Post by orichá »

I have had good luck with this one called "Hover". Also available on GitHub because banned on Google play.

The Economist and Financial Times are hard to crack, though. I think they pay their journalists better ...

https://github.com/nathan-149/hover-pay ... -extension
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

I thought it might come in handy as there are often articles being linked to that are behind paywalls and it can be quite annoying for the reader to not be able to access the full article.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I'm sure I'll get a lot of hate for being the virtue signalling bore, but paywalls are there for a reason. People have the right to be paid for their work and websites are free to choose whatever business model they want to use in order to generate revenue. Content behind a paywall is usually of a much higher standard than free content because it costs a lot more money to produce (the cost of research, having to pay more professional and experienced journalists etc) which is why they often can't cover their costs with advertising alone.

If you find paywalls annoying, either pay for the content or find free alternatives.

I'm sure saying this won't make a blind bit of difference, but that doesn't mean it's not worth mentioning.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:03 pm I thought it might come in handy as there are often articles being linked to that are behind paywalls and it can be quite annoying for the reader to not be able to access the full article.
Just imagine how annoying it imust be for a journalist to get fired because too many people circumvent those paywalls.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

xandreu wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:05 pm I'm sure I'll get a lot of hate for being the virtue signalling bore, but paywalls are there for a reason. People have the right to be paid for their work and websites are free to choose whatever business model they want to use in order to generate revenue. Content behind a paywall is usually of a much higher standard than free content because it costs a lot more money to produce (the cost of research, having to pay more professional and experienced journalists etc) which is why they often can't cover their costs with advertising alone.

If you find paywalls annoying, either pay for the content or find free alternatives.

I'm sure saying this won't make a blind bit of difference, but that doesn't mean it's not worth mentioning.

I'll stick to bypassing the paywalls, just as I used read all newspapers for free when I rode the train to work once upon a time

Ethically, you are quite correct, of course :D

This is a great tool, used it for years - you should note that it can prevent one from logging into sites like Medium or other media sites one may subscribe to - it should be disabled after intended use
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

https://12ft.io/

What?
Prepend 12ft.io/ to the URL of any paywalled page, and we'll try our best to remove the paywall and get you access to the article.

Why?
I believe Google Adwords killed the web. Google Adwords incentivized sites to peddle SEO optimized garbage. Sites who aren't are forced to optimize for email capture so they can market directly to you. Search results now show "news", ads, and SEO spam instead of surfacing information.

You ought to be able to search something on Google and get an answer to your question without signing up for some newsletter. This is why I created 12ft.io.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Everybody pays what they can.

If you do not have the financials to subscribe to the sites you want to read, use a tool to bypass their paywall or find another alternative.
If you can support them financially, please do, the more the merrier.

Both options are still supportive, even bypassing a paywall the user is loading ads and increasing their page views, and if engaging in conversation or similar on the topic that also means more eyes on the original article.

I don't support copying entire articles into threads, that is against copyright laws, and will be punished by Google as well.
But an end user bypassing a paywall, have at it!

Just my opinions of course.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

"I don't support copying entire articles into threads, that is against copyright laws, and will be punished by Google as well.
But an end user bypassing a paywall, have at it!"

agree: i never post a full story an always link to the entire article so everyone can go and read the story from the source and the site picks up credit, ( page views) and their ads will be seen, so they gain a little ( very very little) $>

some here Post entire articles< dont agree with that
BUT as far as google punishment
only CEO looses in that game
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Alex wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:44 pm
IraHayes wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:03 pm I thought it might come in handy as there are often articles being linked to that are behind paywalls and it can be quite annoying for the reader to not be able to access the full article.
Just imagine how annoying it imust be for a journalist to get fired because too many people circumvent those paywalls.
Just imagine how annoying it must be knowing that AI will put them out of work very soon too. Not the very best, of course. AI can't write like Jeremy Clarkson etc. But if you are paid a few quid for writing boring articles in boring websites that just want content and don't care too much about quality, AI will end those gigs - if they haven't already.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic