Cambodia a beautiful country ?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Cambodia a beautiful country ?

Post by Duncan »

wackyjacky wrote:I like Cambodia the best of the lot, but based just on beauty - it comes in last place in SE Asia. She's the plain girl that you fall in love with because of her personality.

I could not have said it better. :thumb:
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: Cambodia a beautiful country ?

Post by Samouth »

MekongMouse wrote:
Samouth wrote:
LTO wrote:Cambodia is a beautiful country. The countryside in the wet season, squared plots of light green rice to a watery horizon dotted by the distinctive Cambodian palm (distinguishing it from its treeless Vietnamese counterpart), giant black water buffalo mounted by white egrets standing reflected in the waters, waiting for a NatGeo photographer to happen along. And Phnom Penh, now 'development' stealing some of it's luster, was (and still is to a point) a beautiful low rise city on one of the most unique waterways in the world, a mix of classic southeast Asian architecture with colonial era and art deco gems, boulevard parks and distinctive landmarks, friendly people and a picturesque culture, really a wonderful city barely hidden under a thin layer of dirt. Kampot and Battambang like distilled versions of Phnom Penh, but Kampot having a bit more of a Chinese flavor to the look and Battambang Thai. OTOH, I'll give you Sihanoukville. Save a very few (maybe 3) buildings of architectural interest, Sihanoukville is a blocky white functionopolis, the beaches, waters and views very average, nothing really distinctive about it.
I grew up at the outskirt of Sihanoukville. So i have seen all what you have described. That's why i am not so fascinated by the view of the rural area. Thanks for sharing and let me know the beauty of my country. Honestly i have never expected that many people find rural areas the interesting and beautiful places. Right now, i feel like i take my country for granted. :(
I think it may be that some (you?) have a strong desire to see the rest of the world and having seen their own country their whole lives, they view it as nothing special . It is probably doesn't help that every major international organization presents your country as a steaming pile of shit.

I agree that Phnom Penh is not a beautiful city, though it is charming, but the nature in your rural parts is truly amazing.

I come from the Pacfic Northwest in the United States. I do find the rural parts attractive, but I am constantly told how beautiful it is and how I must go out to the mountains all the time. The truth is I never do because I'm used to it; large pine trees, open skylines, and giant mountains are just part of what I grew up with. I don't see it, but whole guidebooks are written telling me otherwise.

Outsider's perspective, I guess.
I think you have pointed out a few great points in which I have to agree. It is really true when you grew up seeing all the same stuff,so I guess, no matter how beautiful they are, we somehow don't feel special about them. For example, when people see the water buffalo, and green rice tree, they are so excited. I think I don't have that kidda feeling as I grew up riding the water buffalo and went to rice fields many times. :)
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic