Fans

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Phnom Krom
Expatriate
Cambodia

Fans

Post by Phnom Krom »

So...a 10 dollar fan...

Usually lasts 1 year or two....some make or 5 or 8 years.

A 50 buck Hatari...same fan result....oh so much bettet though....just died after 2 years...

I am sticking with the 10 dolla...
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Fans

Post by atst »

Phnom Krom wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:12 pm So...a 10 dollar fan...

A 50 buck Hatari...same fan result....oh so much bettet though....just died after 2 years...

I've got a fan back in aus not sure of the name brought in 84 still good
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Kangaruchi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kangaruchi »

I bought a Sakura fan, all metal construction for around $45, 4 years ago it's used every day and no problems.
Also have $15 fans which keep failing and I take them to the fan shop in St15 btw 144 and 148 and get them fixed, about $7 from memory
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Get it repaired. It's probably just a $5 motor. And clean it; clean blades will produce more thrust for less power.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:03 pm

Get it repaired. It's probably just a $5 motor. And clean it; clean blades will produce more thrust for less power.
The motor will be fine. It's the bearings breaking down first. Those motors could work for decades.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Lately i've brought Mitsubishi fans, ( here 1,290 ( $37) same price as a Hatari but seem to work quieter an longer
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

There’s a little man on bike who goes around with a box of bits, some basic tools, and fixes fans. He’s done 3 of ours, now- A posh hinari (or whatever it’s called) and a couple of unnamed ones.

It’s been a failure of the capacitor on the motor, each time.
I’ve spent more on a couple of beers on riverside.

Only one fan was unrecoverable with tube aforementioned bearing failure.

What are the symptoms?
Phnom Krom
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Krom »

I hear ya and appreciate the thoughts. I do clean regularly but about every fan eventually gets super hot and stops turning.

I am both lazy and conservative, meaning I buy a new 10 dollar fan and give the old one away. For the 5 dollar savings by fixing it, I would rather lower the pontential for a fire by someone messing with the innards.

Funny I don't do thst for broken ac's or fridges though.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

That ‘super hot and stops turning’ is the symptom that we’ve had resolved. 10minute fix, I think 2 done for $5.
It’s probably 50/50 whether buying new or repairing is the way to go.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

My fan has enjoyed a long and happy life. Unless an aircon unit is temporarily out of service, it doesn't get used at all.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic