Thai princess collapses from heart condition, palace says

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
khmerovitch
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thai princess collapses from heart condition, palace says

Post by khmerovitch »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:26 pm Image

if you follow Andrew, you'll know he is persona non grata in Thailand ( and was charged with lèse majesté ) as his writings dont reflect always positively on the monarchy

His book is a well written insight into the monarchy in Thailand, ( currently banned in Thailand)
He's a fucking scumbag piece of shit
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

pootylicious wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:22 am Was she vaxxed? She mightve had one of those Made in America covid vaccines
happy to say i made it thru the whole dam pademic without a single shot of anything except jack .
i would never accept any chinese version and since it wasn’t mandatory for a visa or anything
or any need to travel never had to press the embassy to order me something from the veterans administration
trump is supposed to come back to life and sue the bejeebers outa china 🇨🇳 and get us all some money back

พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:26 pm Image

if you follow Andrew, you'll know he is persona non grata in Thailand ( and was charged with lèse majesté ) as his writings dont reflect always positively on the monarchy

His book is a well written insight into the monarchy in Thailand, ( currently banned in Thailand)
I follow his Twitter and used to enjoy his insights, however I think over the last couple of years he's become increasingly vindictive and bitter, picking some strange targets and giving the impression of someone slowly losing the plot. Don't know whether you saw it but he made an utterly bizarre attack on the Thai FCC over their Christmas menu a couple of weeks ago, branding their members as ageing sexpats which even led the BBC's Jonathan Head to question his mental state. Can only think it's the frustration of someone on the outside looking in.

As expected he's going totally over the top on this one, and whilst it's interesting to hear the inside track ahead of schedule he doesn't seem to know when to draw a line when he's made his point, which I think ultimately reflects badly on him. You know he's just going to be repeating the same point daily from now until the obvious happens.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

He does seem to take more pleasures in "reporting" the situation of the current king (and his harem) more so than his dad
vindictive? yep, i think so
or just wants to make sure all the news goes out
thai's seem to follow him more nowadays as their tired of the "official" position

he loves to play the card, "and i told ya first"

There is a Long post on his fb page:
The latest information from royal sources is that the palace may try to keep her artificially alive on an ECMO machine at Chulalongkorn Hospital for days, maybe even until after New Year, at which point they will turn off the machine and announce she has died.
They are worried that if New Year festivities have to be cancelled and the tourism and hospitality industries take another hit at this crucial time of year, following all the pain they suffered during the pandemic, it will further inflame anti-monarchy sentiment in Thailand which is already rampant.
In the meantime they will try to stir up royalist sentiment in Thailand by asking people to pray for her, even though everybody in the regime knows she will never recover.
cant report her passing and ruin the holidays
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

What's the going rate for mourning for a princess? A week? A Month?

What difference will waiting do? There are plenty of tourists planning January trips - myself included- who will not bother if there is a threat of bar closures and fun being cancelled. They are better off to get it over with, a quick week of mourning with minimal disruption to everyone's lives. It sounds like it's a bit of a pressure cooker over there, ready to blow.

Not very regal given the circumstances.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Just been announced that the King and Queen have both caught COVID so doctors have advised them to refrain from royal duties for a period of time. I guess that prevents them from visiting their daughter every day, cough cough.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:25 am What's the going rate for mourning for a princess? A week? A Month?

What difference will waiting do? There are plenty of tourists planning January trips - myself included- who will not bother if there is a threat of bar closures and fun being cancelled. They are better off to get it over with, a quick week of mourning with minimal disruption to everyone's lives. It sounds like it's a bit of a pressure cooker over there, ready to blow.

Not very regal given the circumstances.
My memory must be going as I'm struggling to recall what impact the previous King's passing had, I can remember entertainment type events being cancelled but I can't remember if it affected regular opening of bars much. The raunchy nightlife scene with music and dancing may have been ordered to close for a bit.
magicmike
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by magicmike »

It was a year of mourning with businesses ect being affected for the first 30 days and then back to normal.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

magicmike wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:49 pm It was a year of mourning with businesses ect being affected for the first 30 days and then back to normal.
I also seem to remember, but could be wrong, bars could not play music and had to turn the lights down. We all had to wear black. Will check with my Bangkok veterans later this evening.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

love duck duck go
the important points

2. The Mourning Period Lasts a Year
In Thailand, mourning is a sign of respect. It’s proper to mourn the loss of a loved one, and the same is true for royalty. The full mourning period for royalty lasts an entire year. While this sounds like a long time, most businesses and sights return to normal after just 30 days.

The first 30 days after the death of a member of the royal family are the most strict. This is when you can expect to experience the most disruption to your travel plans. Remember to be respectful during this time.

4. All Transportation and Accommodations Operate Normally
There is a common misconception that everything completely shuts down in Thailand during the period of mourning, especially during the first 30 days. While many large and local businesses do shut down out of respect, this is not true for everyone. You’ll find most things are open, especially in large cities.

All transportation and accommodation operate their business as usual. This means airports, hotels, and public transportation don’t experience any gaps in service.

5. There Are No Parties or Music
During the first 30 days of mourning, many visitors are surprised to discover there are no parties. In addition, bars are not allowed to play music. While alcohol sales are still allowed, these are only for quiet sitting.

The local authorities request anyone who’s enjoying a drink and the company of friends stays in their private homes or accommodations.

While you’ll still find bars and restaurants serving alcohol, don’t expect Thailand’s notorious party culture to exist during this period. This is seen as a sign of respect for the royal family by keeping things somber and not excessively lively.

6. Traffic Is Worse Than Usual
With Thai traffic already notoriously bad, it’s not a huge surprise that the death of royalty only makes things worse. Traffic around government areas and the Grand Palace is overwhelming during the period of mourning. While this lessens after the initial 30 days, it’s best to avoid driving if you can.

Prepare extra time for your connections and travel. If possible, steer clear of Bangkok or other big cities that are already known for their traffic. Patience really is a virtue!

7. Security Is Heightened
It also comes as no surprise that the Thai government takes security very seriously during this time. As more people travel to pay their respects to the royal family, crowds run larger than usual. While this is a great way to feel connected to the monarchy, it also poses unique risks.

8. Guests Should Dress Appropriately
During the mourning period, you should stay mindful of your clothing and dress code. While big cities in Thailand are very open and familiar with tourists, you should still be modest in how you dress.

While it’s just a myth that you can’t wear bright clothing during the mourning period (only government workers wear black), you don’t want to stand out in the wrong way.

9. Follow Lese Majeste Laws
In Thailand, it’s very important that you never speak poorly about the royal family. This law forbids any insults of the monarchy. This means you should never say anything negative about the royal family.

Lese Majeste might not be something we have in free-speech countries of the west, but it’s taken very seriously in Thailand. If you’re caught, you could face up to 15 years in prison.

Since you’re a guest in Thailand, it’s not respectful to comment on the royal family, especially after someone dies. Avoid talking about politics of any kind.
https://www.joincake.com/blog/thailand-mourning-period/

The above is for King Bhumibol Adulyadej
how long will it go for a Princess?
if more than a week it could really affect tourism and the best time would be between jan 4th and 20th as thats when there is usually a lull before the high season really kicks in after the Xmas Peak
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic