Reading Books: Paper or Plastic (or Both ? )

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Reading Books: Paper or Plastic (or Both ? )

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

What sort of books do you read and why ?

Paper or plastic: E-books spark debate at book fair
Keo Bosaba | Publication date 11 December 2022 | 21:18 ICT
New technologies have changed the way people learn, do business, and even build relationships. As with so many other aspects of life, the way people read has been altered by the advent of the digital age.

More and more people are embracing e-books, as they are cheaper and lighter than their paper alternatives. However, not everyone is embracing the new tech, with at least one student adamant that reading from a paper edition was far more effective.

Fourth-year student Long Meng Chheang likes reading books rather than e-books. He said the tactile sensation of opening the cover and turning the pages meant he felt more connected to a book.

“I used to read e-books, but they led to eye strain and I didn’t feel a real connection,” he added.

He admitted that e-books did seem to be growing in popularity, especially through dedicated e-readers like the Kindle, which could store thousands of titles and had a matt-finish screen which would not strain people’s eyes like reading on a phone or tablet could do.

New graduate who identifies herself as Marady understands that the goal of reading is to seek and acquire knowledge, so it is the content that is important, rather than the form of the book. With that being said, she likes reading books in person. She like the sensation of holding a book, and even says the smell of a new book is a drawcard for her.

“Although reading e-books is more modern and less costly, I still choose to buy paper editions of the books I like. I can also display them in my home,” she added.

Another youth who only gives her first name Sopheakvy said she prefers e-books to paper copies.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... -book-fair
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Re: Reading Books: Paper or Plastic (or Both ? )

Post by Gazzy »

Bought my first Kindle Fire 9 years ago. Finally packed up last year, replaced it with Kindle Paperwhite, $120. It's excellent; lightweight, convenient, built in dictionary, holds 1000's of titles and can usually download for free. Find actual books cumbersome, expensive and even unclean. Would never go back.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Gazzy wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:34 am Bought my first Kindle Fire 9 years ago. Finally packed up last year, replaced it with Kindle Paperwhite, $120. It's excellent; lightweight, convenient, built in dictionary, holds 1000's of titles and can usually download for free. Find actual books cumbersome, expensive and even unclean. Would never go back.
But you cant Easily ;
Take notes in the marginsH
Highlight section
Bookmark and find the section, ( not as easily as folding down the corner)

Ebooks; great for reading, but would imagine sucks for school texts

I gave up on my kindle ages ago and switched to a 7" tablet as have all the convinces of a kindle ++++++

I prefer books, but its the cost that keeps me from buying them
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

I prefer reading on my kindle due to the convenience. The biggest thing I miss is having an intuitive sense of what part of the book I'm in and being able to look at it on my bookshelf.
Scarier than malaria.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic