AirAsia Plans to Launch Low-Cost Airline in Cambodia

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: AirAsia Plans to Launch Low-Cost Airline in Cambodia

Post by Matty9999 »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:57 pm
Matty9999 wrote:im a fan of Anybody but Singapore Airlines. let there be more competition in Asia.
Why not Singapore Airlines?

Unless I’m mistaken, Singapore Airlines doesn’t bother with Cambodia. Connecting flights were through SilkAir, their regional arm. Old, worn aircraft, less pretty, less attentive cabin crew, frayed, threadbare seats.

Have things changed?
Back when cv was going on, i attempted to leave Cambodia and contacted their customer support with questions numerous times, of which they gave me a foggy answer. Then when the flight time arrrived i was told that my CV PCR test was a few hours too far back and was thrown off the plane, i had to reschedule the flight. it was Singapore Islands straight outta PP.

Technically it wasnt too far back, when we consider European time, but this was only with regards to PP time, and actually had they dated the form correctly at the lab I wouldve been fine.
Last edited by Matty9999 on Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

flew them back to phuket 2 weeks ago $97>
Been using them since they started< 1 time they canceled a flight an issued me a full credit>
why pay more for a short flight>
as long as ur not checking in Bags best deal in SE Asia
no complaints

as to Singapore airlines. My favorite back to SFO :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Air Asia once sent my golf clubs to Yangon without me on the flight, quick turnaround time favoured over basic security. They pulled out all the stops and my clubs arrived back that night by private hire to our hotel in Kanchanaburi, where we'd decided to go after missing the flight due to their absolutely shambolic check in organisation. I guess they might have felt a bit exposed at the security breach.

I wonder if a Phnom Penh to U-Tapao route would be viable rather than having to go to Don Muang.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

AirAsia to Now Launch a Low-Cost Carrier in Cambodia
Peden Doma Bhutia, Skift
Today at 4:13 AM EST
AirAsia Aviation Group on Friday announced a joint venture with Cambodia-based Sivilai Asia to launch a new low-cost carrier — AirAsia Cambodia.

The airline, in which AirAsia will be the majority partner, expects to commence operations in late 2023.

Cambodia is the fifth Southeast Asian destination that AirAsia will be foraying into after Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and the Philippines.

Speaking to the media, Tony Fernandes, CEO of Capital A, AirAsia’s parent company, said all of the group’s future airlines would be based in the region as this is an area they know best and have a strong brand presence.

In 2020, the aviation group shut down operations of AirAsia Japan and last month the company announced that it has sold off its remaining 16.67 percent stake in AirAsia India to Tatas-owned Air India.
https://skift.com/blog/airasia-to-now-l ... -cambodia/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
justanotherexpat
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by justanotherexpat »

Every flight I have flown using AirAsia has been delayed. My last trip using them delayed my flight by 4 hours. I will gladly pay extra to use any other airline.

Just my experience, but because this happened every time I fly with them, I have to assume that it's normal. I understand that a budget airline will have delays but 4 hour delay on a 2 hour flight, no thanks.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

I love how folks want on time departure, efficient service, clean and modern aircraft, but expect to get it all for the lowest possible cost. You get what you pay for in life. If you are chasing the lowest possible fare, great, take it, but don't then complain about the service.

It's like people who want free upgrades, 5 star meals in the lounge, points, points redemption, but then complain about the price of the fare. Somethings gotta give to make it all possible....
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

A bit more detail on the new venture in this article. For example they intend to use
A321s and fly to (roughly) four hour destinations such as India, Japan, Indonesia and China.
https://simpleflying.com/tony-fernandes ... dia-today/
kagi
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by kagi »

justanotherexpat wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:13 am Every flight I have flown using AirAsia has been delayed. My last trip using them delayed my flight by 4 hours. I will gladly pay extra to use any other airline.

Just my experience, but because this happened every time I fly with them, I have to assume that it's normal. I understand that a budget airline will have delays but 4 hour delay on a 2 hour flight, no thanks.
I have flown air Asia and airasiax often. Never been late leaving. Often arrive early. I don't take more than one bag about six kilos and I don't need to eat every two hours. Perfect for me.

They started out as basically public transport for Malaysians traveling between Sabah, Sarawak and west Malaysia.
Those travellers didn't need extras like cabin service.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:46 pm Air Asia once sent my golf clubs to Yangon without me on the flight, quick turnaround time favoured over basic security. They pulled out all the stops and my clubs arrived back that night by private hire to our hotel in Kanchanaburi, where we'd decided to go after missing the flight due to their absolutely shambolic check in organisation. I guess they might have felt a bit exposed at the security breach.

I wonder if a Phnom Penh to U-Tapao route would be viable rather than having to go to Don Muang.
In you're dreams mate....
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:55 am I love how folks want on time departure, efficient service, clean and modern aircraft, but expect to get it all for the lowest possible cost. You get what you pay for in life. If you are chasing the lowest possible fare, great, take it, but don't then complain about the service.

It's like people who want free upgrades, 5 star meals in the lounge, points, points redemption, but then complain about the price of the fare. Somethings gotta give to make it all possible....
Don’t mistake Low Cost for poor quality. (An easy thing to do)
For the low cost model to work, the fundamentals of the operation need to be even better managed. It is in the airline’s best interest to achieve on-time performance, whether low cost or otherwise, along with reliability, and consistency.
Some companies do this very well, and some do not. The service will also be impacted across an airline’s network simply because other services, required for the operation, are managed badly. The same problems that affect an LCC will easily affect a ‘traditional’ carrier.
No matter how well an airline is operated, some back of beyond airfields will screw up any plan.

AirAsia has been around quite a while, but what you see now is really the second iteration, starting early 2000s. The cattle sheds at the end of KL may not have been the most salubrious, but, as rightly said, you get what you pay for.

I personally hate Low Cost. I try to fly on it as little as possible. Nothing longer than 2 hrs, maximum. But have you been on Air France (short haul) in recent times? It can make low cost look good.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic