Viktor Bout released from US prison system in exchange with Russia

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Viktor Bout released from US prison system in exchange with Russia

Post by Kenr »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:22 pm
Kenr wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:16 pm All I am saying is that I sympathize with the man’s situation, but he is a citizen of four (4) different countries and not a natural-born citizen of the United States, so you can’t blame everything on the US government, because US/Russia relations aren’t good either.
Well I'm calling it that he will be traded eventually for Roman Seleznev.

Another interesting fellow https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Seleznev
Hopefully it works out and works out soon for him.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Kenr wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:20 pm Smoking weed makes you a druggie now? Good to know.
Smuggling weed make you a criminal
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Darkcel wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:15 pm She ticked all the boxes on the progressive checklist

Can't wait for Her to play some mediocre basketball again, can anyone remind us when was the last time she played for an American team and not a Russian one?

Is that her? She's a man by the looks of the tits
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

This is the worst prisoner swap in the history of prisoner swaps

Biden doesn't need to go to Russia to find Americans locked up for possession of modest amounts of drugs. I wonder if he will negotiate prisoner swaps with state governors. People in state prisons could be exchanged for insurrectionists who took part in crimes on 6th January and ended up in federal prison.
Scarier than malaria.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

She was the most prominent US prisoner in Russia and she was arrested in an obviously political move after the invasion of Ukraine. Paul Whelan was on the last guy's watch. It appears the last guy didn't want to know about it:
Donald Trump, who ignored Paul Whelan for two years, says deal to return Brittney Griner to US was ‘stupid’

Mr Trump did not mention Mr Whelan’s name a single time during the two years he was held in Russia on his watch, nor did he bring up the former US Marine during a 2019 meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 41800.html
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

ali baba wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:56 pm This is the worst prisoner swap in the history of prisoner swaps

Biden doesn't need to go to Russia to find Americans locked up for possession of modest amounts of drugs. I wonder if he will negotiate prisoner swaps with state governors. People in state prisons could be exchanged for insurrectionists who took part in crimes on 6th January and ended up in federal prison.
What was the best?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Leaving aside WHO has been swapped, I wouldn't swap any prisoners with the likes of Putin, because that just encourages him to take more prisoners to abuse as bargaining chips.

Freeing a prisoner despite he's had due process in the US before he's served his time also undermines the criminal justice system; politics simply shouldn't interfere there unless there's a good reason to grant a pardon - which clearly isn't the case here at all.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

hanno wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:23 pm And they left Paul Whelan behind.

That guy earned a Bad Conduct discharge from the Marines as a convicted criminal.

He garners little sympathy from me. A shyster who has been profiteering off of his time in the military touting himself as a "security expert". He was an admin, paper pusher type in the Marines.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Alex wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:00 am Leaving aside WHO has been swapped, I wouldn't swap any prisoners with the likes of Putin, because that just encourages him to take more prisoners to abuse as bargaining chips.

Freeing a prisoner despite he's had due process in the US before he's served his time also undermines the criminal justice system; politics simply shouldn't interfere there unless there's a good reason to grant a pardon - which clearly isn't the case here at all.
It's a fair point, and I'm sure no government is ever happy about one of its citizens putting them in a position where they have to negotiate with barbaric people, but at the same time letting one of your own be tortured, raped etc doesn't sit well with anyone either, especially when it's being done as a way to get at the government for political reasons.

It's a tough call.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Kenr wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:20 pm Smoking weed makes you a druggie now? Good to know.
It was prescription oil for pain relief. If you're from the reefer madness boomer generation I suppose that could make you consider someone a druggie.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic