Never Thought It Could Happen to Me: Getting Scammed Online

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Never Thought It Could Happen to Me: Getting Scammed Online

Post by Ghostwriter »

I don't even answer the phone with unknown numbers. If it's so important, they'll leave a message.
Same for emails, don't know you ? Fuck off.

Chris should have listened to his mama when she said "don't talk to strangers" and "Santa Claus doesn't exist".
Or maybe she didn't ?
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

Best idea is to give them the name of the Police Chief and the address of the police station to send the fake cheques.
Stay classy na
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

David Gordon wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:46 pm Best idea is to give them the name of the Police Chief and the address of the police station to send the fake cheques.
No mention of fake cheques here.
He used his scammer's money account to fill in orders, got some bonuses on it, then at one point had to inject his money as cashflow, got bigger bonuses (less than injected), several times growing like that, up to the point he injected enough to satisfy the scammers, and goodbye bonuses for the 88 years old granny needing healthcare.

The fake forum filled with accomplices is the main tool here, apart from him of course ^^.

ImageImage
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Careful! Scammers Send Gift Links to Steal Telegram Accounts

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On 21 October 2022, the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications published a warning to the public that there has recently been an uptick in tricks employed by hackers/scammers to steal personal Telegram accounts. Scammers create fake links with images promising gifts with links that look like messages from Telegram. The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications’ warning notice is as follows:

1) Deceptive tricks
This scam is done by sending the Telegram account holder an animated image (GIF) with the caption "Gift 74/100 Free Premium". When clicked on, the link in the message leads the Telegram account holder to another message saying that they will receive unlimited account usage rights, but this requires the account holder to enter important personal information including the user’s name, password, account, etc. Hackers then obtain the information and then steal the Telegram accounts.

2) Preventive measures:
- Check all animated images (Gif) or links clearly and do not click to view or enter important information when requested.
- If you have clicked to view, do not enter any information. Immediately change your password and sign out of all devices immediately to avoid losing your Telegram account.

Users can find out more technical information related to this issue on the website of the "Computer Emergency Response Office (CamCERT)", Department of Security, Information and Communication Technology of the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications at www.camcert.gov.kh
Users may also report or request additional technical assistance on this issue via email [email protected] or by calling 023 722 391/016 851 678.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
kagi
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by kagi »

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

It's just common sense, but this is a reminder to be aware of what we post and where we click:

The Most Common Internet Scams in 2022
https://www.internetadvisor.com/the-mos ... rnet-scams
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

It does not help a lot if you a tech savy but completely dumb and greedy. Unfortunately at least one dumb man wakes up every day.
work is for people who cant find truffles
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Chat support job offers in Cambodia posted on Facebook is 100% scam — victim
By: Daniza Fernandez - Reporter / @DFernandezINQ
INQUIRER.net / 12:43 PM January 25, 2023

MANILA, Philippines — Job offers of chat support in Cambodia posted on social media giant Facebook is a “100 percent” scam, a human trafficking victim said on Wednesday.

During the Senate Committee on Women, Children, Family Relations and Gender Equality hearing, alias Ron, who was trafficked to Cambodia, recalled that he was forced to work in the human resource department of a cryptocurrency scamming firm.

He posted job offers for chat support or call center in Cambodia on Facebook.

“Interesado ako du’n sa sinabi mong nagpo-post ka sa Facebook ng mga job offer. Sa makatuwid ba — babala na ba ito sa ating mga kababayan? — lahat ng nakalagay na job offer sa Facebook na customer support o call center sa Cambodia, scam ba ‘yun lahat?” Senator Risa Hontiveros, panel chairperson, asked.

(I’m interested in what you said about posting job offers on Facebook. Does this mean — will this serve as a warning to our fellow Filipinos? — that all job offers of customer support or call center in Cambodia that are posted on Facebook are scam?)

Ron replied: “Yes po, 100 percent po. Papalabas nila na customer service, chat support. Pagdating du’n gagawin kang scammer.”

(Yes, 100 percent. They will say that it is a customer service chat support job. But when you get there, they will make you a scammer.)

Hontiveros then advised the public to avoid such job offer posts.

“So, kapag job offer na naka-post sa Facebook na customer support o call center sa Cambodia, scam ‘yun lahat. Takbuhan nila ‘yan. Huwag nilang pauunlakan ‘yan,” she said.

(So, job offers of customer support or call centers in Cambodia that are posted on Facebook are all scams. Run away from that. Do not engage with that.)

Hontiveros said that the panel invited Facebook to participate in the hearing. However, they declined.

“We invited Facebook to this hearing, but they sent their regrets. Kung hindi ako nagkakamali (If I’m not mistaken), Facebook also came under fire in 2019 for abetting human trafficking and domestic servitude practices, and we should not, we cannot allow them to remain a playground for traffickers,” the opposition senator said.

Hontiveros’ committee is looking into the human trafficking of Filipinos in Myanmar and Cambodia to work as scammers.
https://globalnation.inquirer.net/21000 ... ing-victim

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic