singapore airlines flights to Cambodia question

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: singapore airlines flights to Cambodia question

Post by Kammekor »

Personally on a flight like this I would never choose a ticket with a low cost carrier or a Taiwanese carrier involved.
Unless it's an unresistable bargain.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

China Airlines is the national carrier of Taiwan. Last time I flew with them was when I was a child. Back then, pilots were former military. They flew the planes as if the PLAF was strafing them. No such thing as level and stable flight.

Descent into Taipei was a straight drop down from cruising altitude with a continuous steep bank turn only leveling out at touchdown. Like a super long roller coaster. Take off was the same. Straight climb up with a continuous sharp bank until cruising altitude was reached. Every meal came with greasy rice floating in a pool of oil. Great fun, as a child.

Parents switched to EVA when they started. KMT won big at the recent elections. Expect less talk of Taiwan independence and less threat or PRC invasion.

Singapore Airlines is just too long from HOU. The layover in Manchester is pretty cold, with a small lounge. But loads better than the previous layover in Moscow, DME. Russian security makes the British Border Force downright pleasant. No lounge to wait in, just line up in the middle of the airport. Air filled with cigarette smoke. And even more cold.

Just my opinions, of course.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

I just tried again using Onetravel.com - I used them many times so am familiar with the process. I found a "reasonable" ticket for ( Singapore Airlines) 1,600 but it has a 14 hour layover in Singapore when returning to JFK
That is horrible but doable. If you had a choice between the 14 hour layover in Singapore or taking China airlines for 1,300 and minimal layover?

Is china Airlines that bad?? Another friend of mine's first reaction was same. ,saying China Airlines isn't that good

I also found eva airlines for $1,646 and minimal layover.
I flew Eva before and was good.

Now i guess i am just rambling-- lol anyway appreciate the information and thoughts
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

I have flown China Airlines many times over the past 15 years. 2 shit experiences out of maybe 20. Delay out of Taiwan for 6 hours. The other cancelled flight out of Vancouver and no other aircraft so massive clusterfuck as they tried to get everyone booked on other flights. Took until next day and the pricks didn't even want to cough up for a hotel! That said I will fly with them again. In fact I am, January 22.
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

BklynBoy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:30 am I just tried again using Onetravel.com - I used them many times so am familiar with the process. I found a "reasonable" ticket for ( Singapore Airlines) 1,600 but it has a 14 hour layover in Singapore when returning to JFK
That is horrible but doable. If you had a choice between the 14 hour layover in Singapore or taking China airlines for 1,300 and minimal layover?

Is china Airlines that bad?? Another friend of mine's first reaction was same. ,saying China Airlines isn't that good

Now i guess i am just rambling-- lol anyway appreciate the information and thoughts
When are you actually planning on traveling? If it's not until summer, why are you booking now? By all means do your research on the current prices from different airlines for a baseline of prices. But I would not book anything now until you are closer to your departure date. Summer is 6 months away. Who knows what the situation for air travel will be like by then. Maybe by then, most airlines will have increased their capacity and pricing will be competitive again.

Also I think you mentioned in a previous post that you are flexible on your dates. If that is the case, you should not have a problem finding a reasonable price ticket closer to your departure date. I would start to really look 3 months before departure.

Also, I would download each airline's APP and check there 1st before using 3rd party booking sites. From my experience, using a 3rd party booking sites is only good if it closer (with in a month) to the departure but you risk that there are no cheap flights available. Most major airlines will start lowering their prices within 3 months of departure to start filling the plane. Once the plane is filled to the break even point for the flight, they will start raising their prices. This is their "profit" margin.

Also, by booking directly with the airline it is hassle free to alter or change your ticket (might be a fee involved)? In 2020, during the pandemic, I change my return flight to a flight 1 month earlier with EVA. I booked directly with them on the APP. I had no issues. Went to their office in PP and changed the flight, no cost involved. The people who booked their tickets via a travel agent or 3rd party site was told that they would have to contact who they booked the flight with to make changes.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Newinkow wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:57 am
BklynBoy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:30 am I just tried again using Onetravel.com - I used them many times so am familiar with the process. I found a "reasonable" ticket for ( Singapore Airlines) 1,600 but it has a 14 hour layover in Singapore when returning to JFK

When are you actually planning on traveling? If it's not until summer, why are you booking now? By all means do your research on the current prices from different airlines for a baseline of prices. But I would not book anything now until you are closer to your departure date. Summer is 6 months away. Who knows what the situation for air travel will be like by then. Maybe by then, most airlines will have increased their capacity and pricing will be competitive again.

Also I think you mentioned in a previous post that you are flexible on your dates. If that is the case, you should not have a problem finding a reasonable price ticket closer to your departure date. I would start to really look 3 months before departure.

Also, I would download each airline's APP and check there 1st before using 3rd party booking sites. From my experience, using a 3rd party booking sites is only good if it closer (with in a month) to the departure but you risk that there are no cheap flights available. Most major airlines will start lowering their prices within 3 months of departure to start filling the plane. Once the plane is filled to the break even point for the flight, they will start raising their prices. This is their "profit" margin.

Also, by booking directly with the airline it is hassle free to alter or change your ticket (might be a fee involved)? In 2020, during the pandemic, I change my return flight to a flight 1 month earlier with EVA. I booked directly with them on the APP. I had no issues. Went to their office in PP and changed the flight, no cost involved. The people who booked their tickets via a travel agent or 3rd party site was told that they would have to contact who they booked the flight with to make changes.
your right on all accounts.. yes summer ..i am just neurotic and was shocked when saw how high the airfare went-- i never seen it jump like that before and i been traveling this route for about 10 summers.. Yes i have some wiggle room on exact dates so that does help.

def booking thru airline will be way to go but was checking multiple ways/sites. Thanks again for the help. I am not booking now but was monitoring the flight and it shocked me when saw how much the price jumped
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I’ll be flying NYC to PNH in August, I noticed the fare change also.

I prefer:
Singapore
Korean Air
Eva
United/ANA

Any of those will do, I am not taking the Chinese airlines. Right now Singapore still seems the best offer.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I don’t mind long layovers when the airport has a hotel room to rent inside the terminal.

I use this https://www.sleepinginairports.net/
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Bluenose wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:09 pm Their last 7 flights from PNH to SIN have all arrived early.
Keep in mind that schedule performance is based on Departure time, not Arrival time. On-time performance is on time departures.

For what it’s worth- My JetStar connection from Singapore to Phnom Penh left some 50-plus minutes late, although It arrived about 10minutes late, and there is sufficient slack in their schedules to enable them to catch up. It was by far a shambles as a connection, with no facility to check in for the connection until boarding time.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Sorry if bumping this thread but friggina ayy.

I am checking for flights for end of June it's still expensive. I am flexible with my travel dates but both EVA and Singapore Airlines is about 2k. It's crazy.
China airlines is a little cheaper but never took them so a little weary. I understand the 3 month rule and been monitoring.
Maybe it's the route? NYC-PP

Has anyone else flown recently and noticed similar issue?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic