Ponzi scheme currently promoted in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Ponzi scheme currently promoted in Cambodia

Post by Josh_76 »

You give them $20k, they pay you $600 (!) a month. Can't get your money back for several years.

Don't know any further details, including the lie how they will generate 36% interest to an unlimited amount of people.

Insanity but some will fall for this, especially in tight knit groups like the Christian converts, who will then believe God will protect their investment (I have one such guy in my real estate investment team 🙄). In such a small country they'll soon run out of fresh suckers who have $20k available to invest.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: Ponzi scheme currently promoted in Cambodia

Post by Random Dude »

There will probably be someone posting on facebook pages, here, telegram groups etc in a month or so asking if anyone knows where to find John Smith, the Harvard educated financial advisor. He's not replying to emails on his yahoo account, his phone number doesn't seem to work anymore and he's moved out of the cheap 'pay by the month' room he was living in.
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Josh_76 »

It's a local on local scam though, so probably not. This one clearly aiming for the more affluent segment of the country, which might reduce the fall out once the inevitable unfolds.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Josh_76 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:10 pm It's a local on local scam though, so probably not. This one clearly aiming for the more affluent segment of the country, which might reduce the fall out once the inevitable unfolds.
Ah, ok then.

Well... from what I've seen there are still pretty regular 'looking for John Smith' posts, it seems like there is no shortage of hapless victims, whether they're local or foreign.
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

Is this being run by Cambodians or ex-pats? From what I have read during 17 years in Thailand, the worst scams here in SE Asia are usually ex-pat on ex-pat. An annuity is only as good as the seller or in this case fiduciary.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Probably the finnish guy who bought Sharkys couple of years ago, he died officially, but knever saw a picture of his corps. He knew how to do this kind of bussiness ?? !!
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Was this all the details you were given? Most investment groups here frequently change the return you receive monthly, wife's uncle tried it once with great luck. His original ROI was $1,400 a month and it always was higher than that agreed amount.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Josh_76 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:22 pm You give them $20k, they pay you $600 (!) a month. Can't get your money back for several years.

Don't know any further details, including the lie how they will generate 36% interest to an unlimited amount of people.

Insanity but some will fall for this, especially in tight knit groups like the Christian converts, who will then believe God will protect their investment (I have one such guy in my real estate investment team 🙄). In such a small country they'll soon run out of fresh suckers who have $20k available to invest.
I'm interested, any further details? :roll:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Josh_76 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:22 pm You give them $20k, they pay you $600 (!) a month. Can't get your money back for several years.

If you can't name the scheme, or the organization, it's a bit of a fizzle IMHO.
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Josh_76 »

Robins wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:54 pm Is this being run by Cambodians or ex-pats? From what I have read during 17 years in Thailand, the worst scams here in SE Asia are usually ex-pat on ex-pat. An annuity is only as good as the seller or in this case fiduciary.
"...It's a local on local scam. ..."

Although, tentacles were already aimed my way by the same guy we'd already told he'll never see his $20K again 🤦‍♂️. I guess, people will do anything if there's enough fear or incentive.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic