GSM gone now

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

GSM gone now

Post by IraHayes »

Happened to ride past GSM at the weekend and its been razed ready for redevelopment.

Did i miss the thread about this or has it only just been razed?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: GSM gone now

Post by Jerry Atrick »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:22 pm Happened to ride past GSM at the weekend and its been razed ready for redevelopment.

I doubt anybody found it's passing noteworthy bar a few ropey skanks, a large number of casual thieves, and a half dozen degenerate neurotoxic icehead barang ghouls
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

It’s recent - I have deduced from my armchair across the waters by following social media posts over the past few weeks.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It was demolished in October.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I never actually set foot in it if memory serves well. A lot of the posts about GSM on here completely put me off ever going near it.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

hanno wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:37 pm I never actually set foot in it if memory serves well. A lot of the posts about GSM on here completely put me off ever going near it.
At the beginning it was mainly a discount clothing strip mall with a stage for beer company televised concerts etc in the centre

There was exclusively Khmer style beer and BBQ joints and a very different crowd to what it would ultimately become known for

But by year 3 it was gone shitty - swiss bar and all the other dives opened 24 hours and the military cops moonlighting as security were notorious for robbing people, robbing bikes and beating the shit out of randoms
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:47 pm
IraHayes wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:22 pm Happened to ride past GSM at the weekend and its been razed ready for redevelopment.

I doubt anybody found it's passing noteworthy bar a few ropey skanks, a large number of casual thieves, and a half dozen degenerate neurotoxic icehead barang ghouls
Apparently they have move to the new home of wholefoods, opposite Shanghai Bar.

This area is a horror show.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:47 pm

Yeah, that pretty much describes that :wave: infamous compound. Not a big lost.
Boredom is like a shroud
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

It always provided a good thread or two due to the antics of the patrons, though.
How it lasted as long as it did is a surprise tbh.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

They even tried the Thai 'beer bar' formula and that didn't work..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic