Shops, ripoff labeling and pricing

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Shops, ripoff labeling and pricing

Post by mikeukt »

A topic always at the back of my mind, then two different situations, two different locations, set it off. Yesterday, a minimart, Big C I think, product on the shelf priced at $2.80, got rung up $3.20 Why, I asked. Answer, that's our new system!!! Today, Lucky Market, a big box of Quality Street priced 56,000 Riel, but looking at the small print under the large price label, a different product name. Went to the checkout and asked, 114,000 Riel. Double the price!

So many time in so many places I've seen the price label on the shelf showing one product name, but the product on the shelf is different and inevitably more expensive than the label price.
pisses me off coz I'm sure it's deliberate. Most supermarket customers check out with a large basket of goods, most wouldn't notice the odd overpriced item. I think SuperDuper seem to do this more than most.

Can't do much, the clerk on checkout is just the hired hand, no point raving at them. Anyone else find this?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Shops, ripoff labeling and pricing

Post by Jerry Atrick »

mikeukt wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:43 pm A topic always at the back of my mind, then two different situations, two different locations, set it off. Yesterday, a minimart, Big C I think, product on the shelf priced at $2.80, got rung up $3.20 Why, I asked. Answer, that's our new system!!! Today, Lucky Market, a big box of Quality Street priced 56,000 Riel, but looking at the small print under the large price label, a different product name. Went to the checkout and asked, 114,000 Riel. Double the price!

So many time in so many places I've seen the price label on the shelf showing one product name, but the product on the shelf is different and inevitably more expensive than the label price.
pisses me off coz I'm sure it's deliberate. Most supermarket customers check out with a large basket of goods, most wouldn't notice the odd overpriced item. I think SuperDuper seem to do this more than most.

Can't do much, the clerk on checkout is just the hired hand, no point raving at them. Anyone else find this?
Used notice this in Lucky supermarket a very long time ago. Ceased shopping at Lucky supermarket - problem solved

I can't say I've noticed it often since, maybe a few times which I pointed out and probably removed the item from my bill

Not really worth getting worked up about
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

I feel this happens in all supermarkts and minimarts except maybe Aeon stores. I think it's just they are lazy with shelving and they put stuff in wrong places and/or their POS system and labeling are not in sync with price changes.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

rogerrabbit wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:45 pm I feel this happens in all supermarkts and minimarts except maybe Aeon stores. I think it's just they are lazy with shelving and they put stuff in wrong places and/or their POS system and labeling are not in sync with price changes.
This has been going on since the beginning of bar codes, nothing has the price on the items
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by mikeukt »

Point about laziness and just putting stuff in wrong places, as any empty space is good enough sounds valid. Except that should result in 50/50 more expensive/cheaper products being shelved. What I see is pretty consistently more expensive stuff on shelves with cheaper other product prices prominently displayed. Buyer beware at all times.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Once in a while, I’ve come across some ‘bargains’ on the shelves. Then, a few days later, a more unrealistic price has been put on.

From a UK pricing perspective, there are laws in place that ensure and enforce unambiguous labelling and pricing. Those laws sometimes don’t even translate across European borders when the UK was still part of that consortium. It would be interesting to know if there were any such efforts in Cambodia. I know where I’d place my bets.

I have a simple process in the marts- if the wrong price comes up, I tell them. If they don’t accept, I don’t want it. If they don’t want to remove the item, I simply let them put the entire contents back on the shelves.

Someone summed it up a while back- we’re not in Kansas (and the pooch is ingredients) or something like that.
STEVITO
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by STEVITO »

I put it down to the sheer incompetence of staff working at the shops.

If an item in a shop doesn't have a price I make it a habit not to purchase it. Previous bad experience of unpriced items coming up a lot higher than expected. And I'd already paid before I noticed.

A while back I selected a beard trimmer and put it in the trolley along with the food shopping. Trimmer was $29.99 I think. When I paid at the till the bill was surprisingly low....like $40 including food. Looked later and saw on the receipt it rang up at $0.00. A win! I consider that payback for all the times that shop has sprung surprises over the years, nearly always going against me...
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Marks & Spencer in the UK charged me less than 6 quid for a 60 quid pair of shoes which I bought with some other stuff. Being a nice guy I asked the check-out lady if the total was right and she just looked what was in the bag, looked at the screen and said yes. Cue leaving the shop as fast as you can without drawing attention to yourself...
Artisan
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Artisan »

We just can't stand it when the system beat us... But if we can beat it, we'll just turn a blind eye...
pebbles&nightsky
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I think it is incompetence more than wilful.

The bigger threat to your wallet is the price of a something being so much more than everywhere else for no explicable reason.

When I first got here I noticed that Lucky had HP sauce. Unfortunately, the price was $6.50 which just looked wrong. After a search in other places I found the real price of about $2.50. But, for many months, Lucky still had them in stock for $6.50.

All I can think is that they got mugged off themselves when they bought it and just applied their standard mark-up for this type of product and waited until they found bigger mugs.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic