Mystery of British man’s ‘trash bag’ suicide

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Mystery of British man’s ‘trash bag’ suicide

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodian Social Media Commenters Doubt Suicide Verdict
Cambodia News (Battambang): On the afternoon of 1 December 2022, Lim Puthyla, the deputy provincial police commissioner investigating the death of a 34-year-old British man JONATHAN STOCK, concluded in his report that the deceased committed suicide through suffocating himself with a black bag over his head. This verdict has caused much debate on social media, with many doubting that someone would kill himself through suffocation with a black bag over their head.
According to the report, the deceased lived with his Cambodian wife, 39 year old Van Kanhna, in Chrap Veal village, Anlong Vil commune, Sangke district. The foreigner was first found dead by his wife at home on 30 November 2022. Police interrogated Ms. Van at the house where the incident took place.

The British man’s death has left many questions for the public as never have they seen a suicide like this in the past, leading to suspicions that it may be abnormal. According to some unofficial sources, the victim's family often had disputes, even on the night before the sudden violent death of the victim.

Comments: Some social media users have commented that the authorities appear to have been lacking rigor in the investigation into this untimely death. Most of the comments expressed disbelief that the British man committed suicide by suffocating himself with a black bag. They are calling the authorities' conclusion "unreasonable and unprofessional."

ImageImageImageImage
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Bosco
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Bosco »

He was a thoroughly decent guy. Spoke native level Khmer and not far off native level Chinese. He even spoke good English for a Northerner. A very sad time for his family whom he clearly loved very much.
khmerovitch
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by khmerovitch »

siliconlife wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:59 am
khmerovitch wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:56 pm I took a few Khmer lessons from him a couple of years ago on iTalki.

https://www.italki.com/en/teacher/8872822/khmer

He was a very level-headed guy who incidentally had an impressive mastery of Khmer.
So you took the classes because he was level-headed and his mastery of Khmer was an incidental bonus? A bit confused, sorry.
He came across as a level-headed guy and was an expert on Khmer, which isn't necessarily a byproduct of being level-headed. I never said anything about him coming off as a reasonable person being the reason I took Khmer lessons from him on iTalki. I guess I wrongfully assumed the reason I did that would be self-evident. I was posting to give some context about the type of person who had died, not excerpting from my diary.
La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

Post by La Quenta »

Ko Sun Kaing, the director of the Office of Serious Crimes, said police were also looking at weather Jonathan suffered a heart attack
Of course.......
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

La Quenta wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:23 pm
Ko Sun Kaing, the director of the Office of Serious Crimes, said police were also looking at weather Jonathan suffered a heart attack
Of course.......
More detailed than my personal theory.

The wind could of caused the bag to fly on top of his head, death by wind.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic