Mystery of British man’s ‘trash bag’ suicide

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Mystery of British man’s ‘trash bag’ suicide

Post by Stravaiger »

Authorities are investigating how a British man came to die, after he was found dead with his head encased in a trash bag in Battambang.

Lim Puthyla, the deputy provincial commissioner, said that the dead foreigner – named as JONATHAN STOCK, a 34-year-old British man, was living with his Cambodian wife, Van Kanhna, 39, and children in Chrap Veal village, Anlong Vil commune, Sangke district.

Mr Stock was found dead by his wife at home on November 30, 2022.

Authorities are said to be closely looking at the case, due to the unusual mode of Mr Stock’s suicide – following widespread speculation about the death.

Mr Stock, who came from Newcastle upon Tyne, had resided in Cambodia since 2011

He is believed to have been a teacher at the Christian SBS school in Battambang and also had an online presence, giving tutorials in the Khmer language and was author of several books on the Khmer Language.

Khmer Times
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Mystery of British man’s ‘trash bag’ suicide

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Sloppy KT as usual.

"Authorities are investigating how a British man came to die," yet call it a suicide in the headline
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Hmm, someone might have to explain to the authorities and the KT the concept of auto-erotism asphyxiation!
khmerovitch
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by khmerovitch »

I took a few Khmer lessons from him a couple of years ago on iTalki.

https://www.italki.com/en/teacher/8872822/khmer

He was a very level-headed guy who incidentally had an impressive mastery of Khmer.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

MYSTERY DEATH Brit dad mysteriously found dead by wife with ‘black bin bag wrapped around his head’ after she went on school run
Adrian Zorzut
Published: 9:08, 2 Dec 2022Updated: 9:57, 2 Dec 2022
COPS are investigating the mystery death of a Brit dad allegedly found with a bin bag wrapped around his head in Cambodia.

Jonathan Stock, 34, from Newcastle upon Tyne, was home asleep when his wife Meiling, 39, took their two kids for a school run in Battambang province on Wednesday.

When she returned three hours later, she found her Brit husband of ten years lifeless by the doorway with a black plastic bag around his head.

Chief inspector Lim Puthyla said his men were looking into the shock death and had spoked with Meiling.

He said: "We are closely looking at the case. Our investigators will interview other people who knew the deceased. We will find the true cause of death."

Local media reported "inconsistencies" between Meiling's evidence to police and what she told reporters.

She told one journalist that Jonathan was cooking breakfast including when she left while suggesting to others that he was asleep in bed.

Neighbours recalled the couple being "often in conflict" and that they had had "a dispute" the night before.

Ko Sun Kaing, the director of the Office of Serious Crimes, said police were also looking at weather Jonathan suffered a heart attack and were waiting for a post mortem report to establish his cause of death.

Speaking with police, Meiling said that she had left her husband alone in the bedroom

She said: "I woke up my child and we went to her Chinese school. My husband asked to sleep more.

"After school I went to eat noodles at the market. When I arrived home around 9:20 am, I saw my husband dead by the doorway."

Meiling, who married the Christian missionary school teacher a decade ago, reportedly called her mother and brother for help and contacted the police.

Police and forensic experts first ruled Jonathan's death a suicide following an autopsy but were urged to probe further following speculations about his passing.

Jonathan, who had lived in Cambodia for more than a decade, taught at the Christian SBS school in the province and authored several books on the Khmer language.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/20624564/ ... -cambodia/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

Not suicide. My money is on the wife orchestrating it.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Strangulation by plastic bag is a tradition here that dates from at least the mid-70s. There are many accounts.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

JB, do tell and share any other accounts, origins, seasonality, etc. about this tradition.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

bossho wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:46 pm about this tradition.
Tradition ?
It's probably just the cheapest way to suffocate someone, except with bare hands.
I'd check for fingerprints all over the bag and test his blood for sure.
Either roofied, or at least clues of strangulation / fight on the body, in the room ?

Suicide my ass, why leave without a note when you have a family ? Why at home ?

Suffocation wank ? So he was pants down i assume ?

Let's hope for a thorough investigation, because he doesn't look sketchy on any level, so far.

This is as suspicious as the French guy and kids drowned in a car in a pond years ago in kampong Speu
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

khmerovitch wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:56 pm I took a few Khmer lessons from him a couple of years ago on iTalki.

https://www.italki.com/en/teacher/8872822/khmer

He was a very level-headed guy who incidentally had an impressive mastery of Khmer.
So you took the classes because he was level-headed and his mastery of Khmer was an incidental bonus? A bit confused, sorry.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic