One-way Airline tickets

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: One-way Airline tickets

Post by Doc67 »

Kenr wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:12 pm Well I’m here. All the way through on Singapore Airlines, IAH-MAN-SIN-PNH, I was never asked for an onward/return ticket. So the $63 I spent was for insurance I guess, LOL.

Upon leaving Changi Airport to Phnom Penh we had to wear masks on that flight and while at PNH Airport. Not sure what that was all about but the airline provided the masks free of charge and the plane landed at 08:40 and I was in my taxi at 09:15 with an Ordinary Visa.
Bloody hell, you checked in 48 hours ago!

I think you need a cold beer asap!
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:56 pm
Kenr wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:12 pm Well I’m here. All the way through on Singapore Airlines, IAH-MAN-SIN-PNH, I was never asked for an onward/return ticket. So the $63 I spent was for insurance I guess, LOL.

Upon leaving Changi Airport to Phnom Penh we had to wear masks on that flight and while at PNH Airport. Not sure what that was all about but the airline provided the masks free of charge and the plane landed at 08:40 and I was in my taxi at 09:15 with an Ordinary Visa.
Bloody hell, you checked in 48 hours ago!

I think you need a cold beer asap!
My total flight time, with a 23 hour and 45 minute layover in Singapore was 48 hours. LOL. I could live in Changi Airport.

They didn’t have a 1:05 pm arrival time on Singapore when I initially booked my trip, and I didn’t want to land in Phnom Penh at night because it’s my first time here and wasn’t familiar with the surroundings, so I just chilled in Singapore. If it were a vacation I would have sucked it up and took the late flight on Thursday, but this is permanent so no big rush.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

I bought an onward ticket from the website www.cheaptickets.com near the time of my check in for the flight, then once i landed i got a refund within the 24 hours of my purchase. The cost of the ticket was $75 but that was refunded.
Doc67 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:53 pm A friend of mine just returned from London via Bangkok with Thai Airways and Bangkok Airways and came very close to be denied boarding in both London and in Bangkok (when getting though Bangkok Airways gate.)

He bought a one-way ticket from London as the price of a return is so high at the moment and he also has a voucher with Thai Airlines for a PP to London flight that he will use next year.

He had an expired ER visa and although that should not really matter, because of VOA, it was something that concerned them.

He has been coming here for nearly 10 years and lives here for 10 months of the year, and his passport reflects that. None of this impressed Thai Airways and after much arguing and a supervisor being called, they asked him, "do you have sufficient funds to buy a return ticket?", to which he replied "yes". At that point they checked him in.

A similar problem occurred in Bangkok but as he was already checked in, his bags were somewhere in the system and they were only on the hook for a 1 hour return flight, they were slightly easier to deal with. However, they still picked up on the one-way ticket.

I was thinking about this because I returned with Thai a month ago, on the return leg of a return ticket, which is effectively a one way ticket. Nobody asked me if I had funds for onward travel. I am concerned because I am planning some travel next year which will involve a few one-way tickets.

So why did they make such a big fuss with my friend? Do all airlines get nervous with one-way flights and possible immigration refusals?

As airfares are so high at the moment, with a lack of flights and fuel costs all helping to drive up the prices, many people who spend a lot of time here could be tempted to buy a one-way ticket and hope that prices will be better next year.

Has anyone else had similar problems?
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I was asked also in Mumbai on malaysians airline checkin why i didnt have a return ticket two weeks ago. When i replied that i will get out of cambodia by car, she looked strange, and asked how you will do that, and when i told her i just shipped it out of mumbai-docks, she just wrote in down in the system, and no more questions asked. But i had a e-visa prepared for the case if (what she also wanted to see) !! The airlines are usually very scared they have to bring you back for free, thats why it helps if you have a e-visa ofcourse. And i am pretty sure, if you write yourself a statement that if entry is refused you are full responsable for all the costs, they wont cry about it !! ??
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bongmab69 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:47 am I was asked also in Mumbai on malaysians airline checkin why i didnt have a return ticket two weeks ago. When i replied that i will get out of cambodia by car, she looked strange, and asked how you will do that, and when i told her i just shipped it out of mumbai-docks, she just wrote in down in the system, and no more questions asked. But i had a e-visa prepared for the case if (what she also wanted to see) !! The airlines are usually very scared they have to bring you back for free, thats why it helps if you have a e-visa ofcourse. And i am pretty sure, if you write yourself a statement that if entry is refused you are full responsable for all the costs, they wont cry about it !! ??
Only if it comes with a flash of cash I guess.
dream syndicate
Tourist
Italy

Post by dream syndicate »

Matty9999 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:56 pm I bought an onward ticket from the website www.cheaptickets.com near the time of my check in for the flight, then once i landed i got a refund within the 24 hours of my purchase. The cost of the ticket was $75 but that was refunded.
Do you remember which airlines you got full refunded ticket?
Doc67 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:53 pm A friend of mine just returned from London via Bangkok with Thai Airways and Bangkok Airways and came very close to be denied boarding in both London and in Bangkok (when getting though Bangkok Airways gate.)

He bought a one-way ticket from London as the price of a return is so high at the moment and he also has a voucher with Thai Airlines for a PP to London flight that he will use next year.

He had an expired ER visa and although that should not really matter, because of VOA, it was something that concerned them.

He has been coming here for nearly 10 years and lives here for 10 months of the year, and his passport reflects that. None of this impressed Thai Airways and after much arguing and a supervisor being called, they asked him, "do you have sufficient funds to buy a return ticket?", to which he replied "yes". At that point they checked him in.

A similar problem occurred in Bangkok but as he was already checked in, his bags were somewhere in the system and they were only on the hook for a 1 hour return flight, they were slightly easier to deal with. However, they still picked up on the one-way ticket.

I was thinking about this because I returned with Thai a month ago, on the return leg of a return ticket, which is effectively a one way ticket. Nobody asked me if I had funds for onward travel. I am concerned because I am planning some travel next year which will involve a few one-way tickets.

So why did they make such a big fuss with my friend? Do all airlines get nervous with one-way flights and possible immigration refusals?

As airfares are so high at the moment, with a lack of flights and fuel costs all helping to drive up the prices, many people who spend a lot of time here could be tempted to buy a one-way ticket and hope that prices will be better next year.

Has anyone else had similar problems?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic