How long before visas become hard to get?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: How long before visas become hard to get?

Post by mannanman »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:27 pm
mannanman wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:24 pm Yes. It’s been a requirement for a long time but not enforced.
They for sure enforced it on me. Still have two of those cards lying around somewhere.
Hey didn’t ask if it was a 12 month but did if 6 or 3 month EOS.

Anyway, it’s moot now.

I work online so I’ll have to come up with a solution soon.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

How long do you get on a tourist visa to Cambodia these days and can you extend it for a period of time ? At the moment is there an easy 60 day + 30 extension ?

Not got any family ties to consider so I've never really worried about the possibility of being unable to meet long-term stay requirements if they were tightened beyond my means or what I'm prepared to comply with. Sure there would be a bit of initial disruption adjusting to becoming a tourist moving between at least 2 locations in the region in a year, but once the logistics are sorted I think I could cope with that set-up. Air travel is still cheap short-haul I think, tourist visas are cheap, it would just be getting more familiar and comfortable living and alternating between a second location.

90 days visa on entry Malaysia, ( Penang initially for me ), 60 day tourist visa Thailand + 45/(30 extension), twice a year would be a start point if push came to shove. Siem Reap or Vietnam would be another I'd consider a 90 day tourist option exists/were to exist. As long as the region and certain countries in particular see tourism as an essential part of their economy I think viable options are still available in a worst case scenario, just depends how flexible you can or are prepared to be.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:23 am How long do you get on a tourist visa to Cambodia these days and can you extend it for a period of time ?
You get a 30 day period of stay, and can apply for 1x 30 day Extension of Stay, so 2 months total, you then need to leave the country/Visa run.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:23 pm

If I recall well the work permit has been an obligation since 2017 (2016?). The new thing now is the tax paper AFAIK. For the EB extension that is.
Yeah, that's when it was enforced - it's always been a requirement in law as I understand

However - I have never had to show evidence of WP for a renewal before and I am told that I will in the new year when I next renew

Previously there would be alleged inspections of workplaces by immigration to ensure overseas workers had WP - again never happened to me
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

As others have mentioned, the DoI are cracking down and starting to enforce their policies which have been in place for many years a little more stringently, although using an agent is still less stringent than going and applying directly at the DoI...

Changes to Visa Extensions of Stay with effect 17th October 2022.

- If you arrive with an E-type (Ordinary) Visa and want to apply for a 12 mth EB (Business) EOS, you are required to have a copy of your Work Permit card, Employment Letter and Companies Patent Tax License.

- If you don't have a Work Permit then you are only allowed to apply for a 6 mth EB EOS, you must have your Employement Letter and Patent Tax License.

- If you don't have an Employment Letter then you are only allowed to apply for a 3 month EP (Proposal) EOS which you can then change to an EB EOS once you have secured a Work Permit and Employment Letter with copy of the Patent Tax License.

- All subsequent EB EOS applications will require Work Permit, Employment Letter and Patent Tax License.

- Those legally married in Cambodia to a Cambodian Citizen, who do not work and aren't eligible for, or don't want, an ER EOS, they can still apply for the EB EOS based on marriage without the need to provide employment related supporting documentation including the WP. Different supporting documentation requirements apply.

- Those applying for an EB EOS as a non-working dependent spouse of their foreign husband/wife can still apply without the need to provide employment related supporting documentation including the WP. Different supporting documentation requirements apply.

- EG (General) EOS only available for 1 or 3 months, no more 6 month options.

- You can no longer convert from an EG EOS to any other EOS category in country.

Most of the above aren't actually policy changes, just stricter enforcement of the correct Immigration policy (Sub Decree 123) As always, let's see how long this enforcement actually lasts, and there will.always be agents who will find a workaround, for a fee of course.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:56 pm

If I recall well the work permit has been an obligation since 2017 (2016?). The new thing now is the tax paper AFAIK. For the EB extension that is.
Yeah, that's when it was enforced - it's always been a requirement in law as I understand

However - I have never had to show evidence of WP for a renewal before and I am told that I will in the new year when I next renew

Previously there would be alleged inspections of workplaces by immigration to ensure overseas workers had WP - again never happened to me
The DoI and the MoLVT turned up together (with a day's notice) at the place where I work and I am the only foreign worker.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Bluenose wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:40 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:56 pm

The DoI and the MoLVT turned up together (with a day's notice) at the place where I work and I am the only foreign worker.
They turned up to mine as well but I was busy (very busy) and they never came back to check my docs - they made sure to inspect each Chinese workers docs thoroughly though
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

National November 29, 2022
Visa type, conditions and procedures that foreigners must fill in to enter and leave and stay in Cambodia discussed
Khmer Times

A meeting was held yesterday to discuss the revision of Sub-Decree No. 123 dated June 10, 2016 on the Procedures for Applying for the Permission of Non-Immigrant Foreigners to Enter, Exit and Stay in the Kingdom of Cambodia.

On the morning of November 28, 2022, General Kiet Chantharith, Director General of the General Department of Immigration Chaired a meeting on the revision of Sub-Decree No. 123 dated June 10, 2016 on the procedure for applying for the entry and exit of non-immigrant foreigners in the Kingdom of Cambodia at the General Department of Immigration.

The meeting was also attended by the Deputy Director General, the Deputy Director of the Department and the Legal Officer of the General Department of Immigration.

This meeting discussed some important points and discussed related to the definition of visa type, conditions and procedures that foreigners must fill in to enter and leave and stay in the Kingdom of Cambodia.

The purpose of the revision of Sub-Decree No. 123 is to increase the efficiency in managing the presence of foreigners in Cambodia and to facilitate certain conditions for foreigners through the modernization of legal documents and procedures for foreigners in the Kingdom of Cambodia.
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

Arget wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:15 am National November 29, 2022
Visa type, conditions and procedures that foreigners must fill in to enter and leave and stay in Cambodia discussed
Khmer Times

A meeting was held yesterday to discuss the revision of Sub-Decree No. 123 dated June 10, 2016 on the Procedures for Applying for the Permission of Non-Immigrant Foreigners to Enter, Exit and Stay in the Kingdom of Cambodia.

On the morning of November 28, 2022, General Kiet Chantharith, Director General of the General Department of Immigration Chaired a meeting on the revision of Sub-Decree No. 123 dated June 10, 2016 on the procedure for applying for the entry and exit of non-immigrant foreigners in the Kingdom of Cambodia at the General Department of Immigration.

The meeting was also attended by the Deputy Director General, the Deputy Director of the Department and the Legal Officer of the General Department of Immigration.

This meeting discussed some important points and discussed related to the definition of visa type, conditions and procedures that foreigners must fill in to enter and leave and stay in the Kingdom of Cambodia.

The purpose of the revision of Sub-Decree No. 123 is to increase the efficiency in managing the presence of foreigners in Cambodia and to facilitate certain conditions for foreigners through the modernization of legal documents and procedures for foreigners in the Kingdom of Cambodia.
Don't jump all over me. I'm not being negative about KoW!

What a useless article! Describes (in detail) the purpose, who is chairing and who is attending the meeting. Not a word mentioned on the issues or the outcome from their meeting.

Anyone know what was the outcome from their meeting?
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Newinkow wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:28 pm
Arget wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:15 am National November 29, 2022
Khmer Times

Don't jump all over me. I'm not being negative about KoW!

What a useless article! Describes (in detail) the purpose, who is chairing and who is attending the meeting. Not a word mentioned on the issues or the outcome from their meeting.

Anyone know what was the outcome from their meeting?
Probably setting up a group to oversea another group on whatever issue the original group (third group now) couldn't solve with the visa situation, expect a fourth "working" group to pop up soon, all with the same members as the previous hypothetical three!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic