Beware! Travel scams in Siem Reap (2022)

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Beware! Travel scams in Siem Reap (2022)

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

canucklhead wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:37 am Tourists cant rent motos in Siem Reap.
youve been able to rent motos in SR for years, i rented motos there early 2016 and also on 2 occasions earlier this year
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

canucklhead wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:37 am Tourists cant rent motos in Siem Reap.
You must be joking. I just rented a moto in September, a bit pricey at $10 a day but otherwise fine (no scams, no issues with being a tourist).
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Alex wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:36 am
You must be joking. I just rented a moto in September, a bit pricey at $10 a day but otherwise fine (no scams, no issues with being a tourist).
The new celebrity tenants who just moved in above me rented a cool 😎 PCX Honda for $70 a month
They said so in their latest you tube travel vlog
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

rozzieoz wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:47 am At least they made an effort to contribute something, other than just criticizing every other post.

Write something positive, that would be a refreshing change.
What did they contribute? Lies and misinformation. How is that positive?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

give your money to one of the many NGOs operating in Cambodia.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NGO's are about the only scam left in Siem Reap. Don't contribute and you won't be ripped off.

PassApp and you don't have to haggle over tuk-tuks - tip for good rides. Your safe virtually everywhere at all hours of the day. Legitimate ATM's are everywhere. Tons of half full hotels offering specials. About one of the most scam free places you can visit currently.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:09 am There’s a dirt road off the National Road from the airport to Siem Reap that’s lined with KTV bars. Supposedly the girls working there go out onto the road and pull single guys off their motos when they drive by and whisk them away into those bars for beer and a good time.

Be careful!
Def doesn't sound family friendly at all :cya:
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

susday wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:06 pm What are some of the current / latest travel scams in Siem Reap in 2022? Have you ever been a victim?
Hi fellas,
Some friends will be visiting Cambodia (Siem Reap) soon and asked me about scams they should look out for, after they read some gruesome articles online, for example: https://de.hotels.com/go/cambodia/cambodia-common-scams
However, I don't really visit Siem Reap that often.
Thanks for your input! Really appreciate it.
I heard of someone who was sold a sim card by a tuk tuk driver that was bad.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

pissontheroof wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:17 am
Alex wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:36 am
The new celebrity tenants who just moved in above me rented a cool 😎 PCX Honda for $70 a month
They said so in their latest you tube travel vlog
Good to see they are back For Riel..... :thumb:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Matty9999 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:00 pm I heard of someone who was sold a sim card by a tuk tuk driver that was bad.
It doesn't cost much to buy a sim card, so why buy on the blackmarket from a tuktuk driver ?
If you want to be incognito, 2500 riel shops are good for that, and are also more dependable than your average tuktuk driver.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:30 pm
Matty9999 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:00 pm I heard of someone who was sold a sim card by a tuk tuk driver that was bad.
It doesn't cost much to buy a sim card, so why buy on the blackmarket from a tuktuk driver ?
If you want to be incognito, 2500 riel shops are good for that, and are also more dependable than your average tuktuk driver.
Yes its really not too expensive in other countries. I think a real rip is paying $140 a month for Verizon monthly contract. Thats what i had in NYC, although the phone was included in that payment as well as hefty taxes.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic